Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-Country & Olympics - It's Time!

As I have watched such sports as synchronized diving, beach volleyball, and rhythmic gymnastics gain Olympic acceptance I can only say where is cross-country?

I know, some might say the track schedule precludes it, but I disagree. Why not hold the races during the first weekend of the Games, well before track starts? One race, top three finishers get the medals, top three teams get theirs.

What am I missing here? Perhaps there is a better reason than I've stated for it's absence. If you know, let me in on it.
    There are no strings on me

Re: Cross-Country & Olympics - It's Time!

Must have been part of the program at one time?

Comment

It should be in the winter Olympics. Would fit perfectly with the elites off season.

Comment

When I looked on this weeks Olympics TV schedule for NBC and its related stations (MSNBC, Bravo, etc.), I noticed cross country being shown in the wee hours some morning. I checked the Olympic website, and it turns out a cross country race is part of the pentathlon competition.
        So basically you can race cross country if you also know how to shoot. Know any great cross country runners who are also marksmen with a gun?
        [do you really WANT to know if they are?]

Comment

>It should be in the winter Olympics. Would fit perfectly with the elites off
          >season.

Excellent point, Jerry. I've thought of that myself. Ok by me(as long as there is a place without too much snow at the venue), just get it back in!

Comment

You also need $400,000 for a trained jumping horse.

Comment

Cross Country is ALREADY in the Winter Olympics- you do it with long, skinny skis.

Now it wouldn't be a bad idea in the Winter Games to add snowshoe cross country racing. The Canadians would probably love it.

Otherwise, how would you conduct a cross country race in the Winter Games, where everything is dead and buried under six feet of powder snow drifts? Aren't all cross country races conducted on manicured green golf courses?

Comment

>Cross Country is ALREADY in the Winter Olympics- you do it with long, skinny
                >skis.

Now it wouldn't be a bad idea in the Winter Games to add snowshoe
                >cross country racing. The Canadians would probably love it.

Otherwise, how
                >would you conduct a cross country race in the Winter Games, where everything is
                >dead and buried under six feet of powder snow drifts? Aren't all cross country
                >races conducted on manicured green golf courses?

I know you're half-kidding, Randy, but I think even at a Winter Olympic Games there would probably be somewhere relatively close that would have somewhat temperate (30 - 45 degree) weather.

But much prefer to see it return to the Summer games. I sure can't think of a good reason why they dropped it in the first place, or at least not brought it back yet.

Comment

I agree. cross country should defenately be in the Olympics if table tennis is. but maybe it's because some people think it's not a sport(that's what someone told me once!)

Comment

>I agree. cross country should defenately be in the Olympics if table tennis is.
                    >but maybe it's because some people think it's not a sport(that's what someone
                    >told me once!)

For the team aspect alone. Relays are not quite the same.

Comment

if table tennis is in, then cross country must get in. i mean cmon. this world is messed up. my freind told me the GOLF is more manly of a sport than TRACK. F*CKING EH, give me a break

Comment

Winter Olympic sports must be contested on either ice or snow.

I'm sure the same runners that complain about the heat during the summer would complain about the cold during the winter.

Comment

Yes, Paavo Nurmi won the 8K XC event in Antwerp.

Comment

>I sure can't think of a good reason why they
                            >dropped it in the first place

There must have been some rationale for dropping it, otherwise it would not have been. I am unable to see what cross country would gain from the Olympics, and vice versa. It certainly would not belong in the winter games any more than American football would . . . or than volleyball or basketball would, for that matter.

Comment

XC was part of the 1912, 1920, & 1924 OG. (Also part of the 1904 games, but only US participated -- sort of an intra-squad meet, I guess for that OG).

Here is one site that has general info and results for OG XC --
                              http://www.hickoksports.com/history/olympix.shtml

I have read (but don't have the books in front of me to re-check my memory) that XC was dropped after 1924 because several athletes struggled, needed medical attn, dropped out, etc. in the heat, which was apparently shocking to organizers and spectators, thus leading to XC's demise.

Similar experience w women's 800m at 1928 OG -- the sight of some of the women's exertion was scandalous; thus the 800 was dropped, & didn't return til 1956 (I think -- I know I can count on the many historians on this site to correct my account of this.)

Comment

Working...
                              X