Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AldousZX View Post
    Can’t say I agree 100% with the decision, there’s so much going on at the summer Olympics the event will get lost in the schedule. People may intend to watch it but will end up missing it because of another final. Including it at the Winter Olympics would have made much more sense, the XC season is still going on around the time of the winter Olympics.
    Olympic Charter forbids it - it specifically states that for the purposes of the Olympic Games winter sports are those sports practiced on snow or ice.

Comment

time to change the charter; they could make both versions of the Games better by moving a couple of indoor sports, like basketball and volleyball, to the Winter version. Will never happen in a Euro-dominated IOC, of course, because they want to keep the focus on the geographically-friendly winter sports they do well at.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

No, it would just make one of the sports redundant. It would be like having both the T&F pentathlon and decathlon on the Olympic program.
        I don’t think so. Is biathlon redundant to cross country skiing? Because of the military nature of Modern Pentathlon, it is still unique. The fact that it was the brainchild of the founder of the Modern Olympics keeps it around, but equestrian keeps it from being a more popular event.

Comment

I think Powell was referring to the discontinued Athletics Pentathlon (1912-1924), rather than the Modern Pentathlon.
          https://www.olympedia.org/event_types/91

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
            Because of the military nature of Modern Pentathlon, it is still unique.
            And making MTB a part of it will make it neither military nor unique. Granted, fencing and horse riding haven't been a standard part of military training for a while now, but at least there is some historical logic behind the sport as it is now.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

De Coubertin originally wanted fencing on horseback as one sport, and then rowing would be the fifth sport.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Olympic Charter forbids it - it specifically states that for the purposes of the Olympic Games winter sports are those sports practiced on snow or ice.
                That definition is correct for cross country I did in Oct, Nov, and Dec in Chicago and during IC4A and NCAA meets. We ran and practiced everyday in snow and icy roads. We are better than Winter Olympians because we also practiced in slush which Winter Olympians go inside to practice or call practice off if their hills are slushed over..
                Just a little dig at Winter Olympic Charter definition of their “sports”
                Cross Country is a Track and Field sport by everyone who has participated in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                  De Coubertin originally wanted fencing on horseback as one sport, and then rowing would be the fifth sport.
                  fencing on horseback on snow/ice would be ineresting, but the rowing would prob. be pretty pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

And making MTB a part of it will make it neither military nor unique. Granted, fencing and horse riding haven't been a standard part of military training for a while now, but at least there is some historical logic behind the sport as it is now.
                    Bicycles in WWI

https://www.bicycling.com/news/g2756...ar-1-bicycles/

Bicycles in WWII

https://www.catawiki.com/stories/538...n-world-war-ii

The Swiss used them until 2003:

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...on-two-wheels/

Some more general history:

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...cycles-at-war/

Comment

Article linked from the front page today: https://www.globerunner.org/08/cross-purposes/

Tim Hutchings gives his opinion in comments below. Interesting that you could have ever made any money at CC. I've read how there was more money for athletes in T&F in the 90's, but never knew there was a circuit of CC meets where you could win prize money.

Comment

Hutchings speaks truthfully the difference from the 80s and 90s when you could make a decent living being a distance runner.

What it’s important to acknowledge, is that for distance runners, the world has changed dramatically since the 1990s. I was able to earn a good living on the international CC circuit – a caucasian Brit, brought up in the home counties, who just happened to be a strong distance runner. The current generation however, including any budding “Tim Hutchings” out there, haver to battle through a mass of African talent just to make the top 50 at the World CC – and good luck with making the top ten in any of the remaining commercial CC races dotted around Europe, because it’s almost impossible. I was lucky. I was able to travel over to France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium and so on, and earn good money of a winter weekend, but that is nearly impossible now, partly because the circuit is saturated with African talent that is desperate to earn $100, never mind about a few thousand. They train hard back in Kenya, Ethiopia, Morocco, Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa, Eritrea, Rwanda, etc, etc…..and are desperate to get on to the European circuit of CC and Road Racing. It’s not a level playing field, in my humble opinion either, as I have no doubt at all, that there are genetic advantages at play.

If I ran the World CC now, in the form of my silver medal placings, I think I’d be doing well to make the top 15 or so.

Comment

Working...
                        X