Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From letsrun.com...this should stir things up

from your name i assume that you must be a tennessee fan, or former athlete or coach. which one is it ?
    if so any ideas on why gatlin run terrible tonight. i thought he would make the team in both sprints, i thought he showed tremendous form indoors and at the penn relays. i cant explain him being eliminated on the first round ! maybe he thought the other guys would lay low on the first round, but some of the contenders like monty, bernard williams and jj johnson run very well for the first run on probably was a windy and cool evening...

Comment

Ok...

As someone who ran the 400 and 800 in high school and trained with the sprinters, and was more a distance guy in college... and as someone who was coached by an ex sprinter, I have to say that distance guys DO work harder.

I'll never forget the day when my coach left a message on all our answering machines. It went like this..

"Mid d... tomorrow you guys have 8 miles nice and easy... just a recovery day getting ready for the meet. Distance guys, we're training through this one so I want you all to do 12 miles with 2 minutes tempo pace and 2 minutes easy. Sprinters... just make sure you guys get out of bed and walk around a little."

You see... I lifted as much as any sprinter, added plyos with the sprinters, and when they ran 4 x 200 in 23 with max rest I was running 12x200 in 25 with 200 rest. Anyone who says distance guys don't work harder are not seeing their distcance guys work out right.

I still respect sprinters and think they work damn hard too. AND I like watching sprints and think they are exciting.

M

Comment

My old HS coach (a collegiate distance runner I might add) said there are only two sports no talent athletes can have a bit of success in if they are willing to work hard enough...weightlifting and distance running.

Comment

>My old HS coach (a collegiate distance runner I
          >might add) said there are only two sports no
          >talent athletes can have a bit of success in if
          >they are willing to work hard
          >enough...weightlifting and distance running.

Quite wrong. If you have no talent, you will not succeed no matter how hard you work. I will never, ever run 2:22 for a marathon, even if I take every illicit drug on the planet -- and making the Oly trials in any other event is much harder.

And anyone who doesn't think that the best sprinters work hard simply hasn't seen or read about the great training groups, like the old SMTC about 10 or 15 years ago. Hard work for sprinters can make the difference between winning Olympic gold and not even making the team.

There are two types of coaches out there: sprint/field coaches and distance coaches. It's rare to find a coach that truly understands the fundamental differences between power athletes and endurance athletes, both in physical makeup and the challenges they face in competition. It's even more rare to find an athlete that understands those differences between himself and his teammates.

Comment

conto, your full of crap!!!

Comment

You did not run in College Conto, I know who you are.

Comment

You
                >see... I lifted as much as any sprinter

No you didn't. You lifted AS OFTEN.

Comment

Exactly,
                  The cross-county guys here at the university use the weight room after all of the teams have worked out...This includes womens golf...Why you ask? Because the guys are ashamed that most of the girls from the other sports can out squat, out clean, and out press all of them...They are rediculous...But they can run for an hour...Yipidy dooo...

Comment

>Exactly,
                    The cross-county guys here at the
                    >university use the weight room after all of the
                    >teams have worked out...This includes womens
                    >golf...Why you ask? Because the guys are ashamed
                    >that most of the girls from the other sports can
                    >out squat, out clean, and out press all of
                    >them...They are rediculous...But they can run for
                    >an hour...Yipidy dooo...

I was a distance runner and i wrestled at 142 pounds in college, i could do 3 sets of 5 with 315 on the bench press, did 53 pullups and regularly climbed ropes as part of the end of the wrestling workout, most of the distance runners mostly talked in the weight room that is why most are so weak. if they worked in the weightroom they would be stronger.

Comment

The girls on our throwers squad can bench 315...I applaud you..You must have been the strongest distance runner that never made it...At least you got a good headlock....wow..rediculous

Comment

I'm a fan only. I wish I could have worn the famous Tennessee Orange uniform. I have broken 40 mins in the 10K though, if that's worth anything. ;-)

No idea about Gatlin. He's in Trevor's hands now. Unfortunately, I'm afraid.

Comment

every event thinks that they are the best or the hardest. is it any harder to be a great distance runner than a great field eventer or sprinter. i would have to say no. that is the beautiful thing about track. there is an event for almost everyone.
                          also, here is a thought. a 10k is a tough race to run(as all races are even the 100m. id like to see some distance guys master the starting blocks and try to run relaxed at speeds they only dream of, but it lasts merely 30 minutes or so. a pole vault competition can last a couple of hours and most other field events take a while to complete as well.

Comment

I still remember our college coach telling the sprinters to take a warm-up lap and every one of them groaned like it was the hardest thing they had ever done. Sprinters are lazy!

Comment

no you can't

Comment

>>Exactly,
                                The cross-county guys here at
                                >the
                                >university use the weight room after all of
                                >the
                                >teams have worked out...This includes
                                >womens
                                >golf...Why you ask? Because the guys are
                                >ashamed
                                >that most of the girls from the other
                                >sports can
                                >out squat, out clean, and out press
                                >all of
                                >them...They are rediculous...But they
                                >can run for
                                >an hour...Yipidy dooo...

I was a
                                >distance runner and i wrestled at 142 pounds in
                                >college, i could do 3 sets of 5 with 315 on the
                                >bench press, did 53 pullups and regularly climbed
                                >ropes as part of the end of the wrestling
                                >workout, most of the distance runners mostly
                                >talked in the weight room that is why most are so
                                >weak. if they worked in the weightroom they would
                                >be stronger.

you never lifted that much or did that many pull-ups. to anyone who actually lifts weights, your exaggerations are obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X