Where is Alan Webb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Alan Webb

Two years ago Alan Webb ran an amazing 3.53 mile in high school. Since then he has become an ordinary journeyman miler. What the heck happened?
    If Webb were Kenyan he would have run under 3:50 by now.
    Mr. Webb better go back to college and get his game back.
    Webb is actually running slower than he did his senior year in high school.

In my opinion Alan Webb must be injured. It is the only explanation for his slow times this year.

Re: Where is Alan Webb

Either way, we'll find out eventually, eh?

Comment

I am not knocking Webb. It is just his decline is so dramatic and strange. The guy has gone from being labeled the next Steve Scott to a hack miler who has been beaten by 4:02 milers in competition.

Maybe he is still training like he did in High School. This may explain his lack of progression.
      His coach in Michigan was right all along.

The days of Joe Falcon and Steve Holdman are starting to look like the good old days of US miling. At least those guys could run 3:50 or under.

Comment

Hurst took too much blame/heat for Webb's injury. The high expectations for Webb coupled with the injury and reported meddling from Razcko (sp?) are probably to blame for Webb going back to his HS coach. Most likely a mistake. The talent is still there, so we'll see what happens the next few years.

I also suspect he's been injured - or maybe, maybe he and his coach are going to "work through" the entire season to build for next year, which really doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Too much has been made of Webb's season thusfar. He actually ran well in cross country his freshman year at UM, then injury and higher milage likely took a toll. It is probable that he and his coach have written off this year in preperation for Athens. If so he isn't going to wow anyone with a 3:53 this year, but I suspect he will find his groove and carry it through till next year.

A 3:53 miler is a 3:53 miler. I suspect he will make the team next year and silence the naysayers who want to bury him at 20. Progression is not linear - this year is definitly "1 step back".

Comment

Amen. I posted this on another thread, but it bears repeating:

Alan Webb is not a bust! Let's get some perspective, people -- regardless of his decision to turn pro, he would have only been the equivalent of a college sophomore this year. It's a might bit early to be describing him as a "bust." Can we please allow him a little time to develop before devouring him? After all, most middle distance stars don't hit their peak until their late 20s or even their 30s. (Can anyone say Regina Jacobs?)
            Check back in five years or so, then we can properly adjudge his career.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I think you all are in for a big freakin surprise this weekend. Webb will not only make the world team, but he will dominate. He will win and set a championship meet record, mark my words. He's been preparing all year for this moment and his workouts, so I've heard, suggest that he's in 3:32 shape. He'll win AND get the qualifier this weekend.

Comment

sure your name isn't maui wowie?

Comment

... if Webb showed 3:32 shape. I think we'll see some fine times from the lad ... next season. He was working when he ran his 3:58 at Prefontaine a few weeks ago, but he's coming around.

Comment

wow thinks that Webb will dominate and Gatlin is blowing smoke??? Care to put any money on that, wow?

Comment

I might agree with you Lee, but HE'S the one who chose to go "pro", HE put the expectations on HIMSELF. He should be in college apprenticing at his trade, if he really wants to be a great runner. If he was in it for a quick and rewarding payday, he did the right thing.

Why in the world would he or anyone else assume that a high school coach who NEVER coached even a national class athlete before could take him to world class? His 3:53 is a REALLY nice high school or even college time but its 10 seconds off the world record.

Someone here said that Webb will make it to the WCs. If he does, it says more about the state of American miling than it does about his ability.
                      Joe Lanzalotto

Comment

I've already got one right (Gatlin) ... come on, Webb!

Comment

>He should be in college apprenticing at
                          >his trade, if he really wants to be a great
                          >runner.

You mean like Morceli, Ngeny, El G, Coe, etc.???

>Why in the
                          >world would he or anyone else assume that a high
                          >school coach who NEVER coached even a national
                          >class athlete before could take him to world
                          >class? His 3:53 is a REALLY nice high school or
                          >even college time but its 10 seconds off the
                          >world record.

You mean someone like Peter Coe? How about Bob Timmons?
                          3:53 is better than almost all American milers.

Comment

I hope the best for Webb. If he can get his head together and be healthy he will be okay.

Comment

Two years after his sub four minute mile Jim Ryun, as a frosh at Kansas University set two new world records: 1:44.9 for the half-mile and 3:51.3 for the mile. So we have to assume Ryun was around twenty when he set those records.
                              Still Webb is young maybe he will come around.

Some say Webb's weekly mileage is too low. The top Keyan milers run close to 120 miles a week. Do Webb and his Coach know something the Keyans don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X