Some say Webb's weekly
      >mileage is too
      >low. The top Keyan milers run
      >close to 120 miles
      >a week. Do Webb and his
      >Coach know something the
      >Keyans
      >don't.

where did you hear kenyan milers run 120 miles a week, i read train hard win easy by toby tanzer, and their 800-1500 training schedules look very reasonable, schedules in book include william tanui, nixon kiprotich, benson koech japhaet kimutai, kip keino.

Comment

Re: Where is Alan Webb

>Two years after his sub four minute mile Jim
        >Ryun, as a frosh at Kansas University set two new
        >world records: 1:44.9 for the half-mile and
        >3:51.3 for the mile. So we have to assume Ryun
        >was around twenty when he set those
        >records.
        Still Webb is young maybe he will come
        >around.

Some say Webb's weekly mileage is too
        >low. The top Keyan milers run close to 120 miles
        >a week. Do Webb and his Coach know something the
        >Keyans don't.

Webb's mileage is not too low. As a matter of fact it was too high for a frosh and that is why he was injured last year. I think he is on the path to getting his form back. This may be a bit of a transition year but I still would expect for him to be in 3:55 (3:37) shape or better by the end of the summer. This would help his confidence and next year the carefully planned training with focus on summer track should start to pay off.

Some of the Kenyan 5-10 guys run 120 week. Most of the milers don't.

Comment

If Webb runs 3:32 this week, after a lackluster (relatively speaking) season so far, he and his coach win 'peaker' of the century.

Comment

I will be surpised if the winning time is better than 3:39.0, shocked if it is below 3:37.0. No rabbit, going for place rather than time. Last year Lassiter ran only 3:40.90 to win.

Comment

It was quite windy yesterday (Thursday) at the meet, as it often is at Stanford in the spring before the sun sets. It was perfect for the 10k's.

With the 1500 final scheduled for the afternoon, I'd guess it'll be windy, making it even less likely someone's gonna go out and force a strong early pace.

Comment

Obviously tonight's semi didn't go as planned : a 3:48 (although faster than Berryhill's time in the slow heat 1), he led most of the way, but couldn't hold it and was overtaken by the pack in the last 100. A lot of emotion after the finish. It'll be interesting to see how he responds on Sunday ... I really hope he runs a good race.

Comment

I saw him race tonight. Tied up in the homestretch. I think he's fit but he has no finish. Far from A-standard sharp.

Comment

yet he and coach said what awesome shape he's in? Being the LAST qualifer cannot have been in the plan. I really don't think you can 'run a smarter race' and go from last qualifer to race winner.

Comment

I agree. Alan Webb got punked pretty damn bad... but hold up. Let's wait and see what happens in the final

Comment

>yet he and coach said what awesome shape he's in?
                        >Being the LAST qualifer cannot have been in the
                        >plan. I really don't think you can 'run a smarter
                        >race' and go from last qualifer to race winner.

I'm confused as to why he has insisted lately in leading. This is not the way to win races nor is it the way to run qualifiers. He is very lucky to have made the finals.

Stupid running has been a trademark or American middle distance runners for years. Here is another example of someone who appeared to have a fantastic finish a couple of years ago but now he doesn't have the confidence in his finish to even run a slow qualifying round.

Either his training is way off of where it was in '01 or he is still having troubles with the mental side. Either way he had better put it together for Sunday - if he leads he will be eaten up again. His only chance to make the top three is to be able to call upon that once wicked finish in the final 2-300.

Comment

Maybe we should not bust on Webb too much. It must be a distressing situation to be in.

I wonder what Joe Falcon was doing at Webb's age. He was the last dominant US miler. In fact he is the last US miler to break 3:50.

Comment

Webb is fine - only "mistake" he made was running 3:53 in HS instead of 3:59. Now many expect a linear progression from 3:53 to 3:49 to ???. It just doesn't work that way. The guy is still v/young.

All talk of his "mental" status are silly as well. Anyone who has competed knows the mental follows the physical. He isn't there physically so his confidence is not thru the roof now. Bet if you ask him how confident he is about tommorrow he would say not very - ask him about next year and he will likely smile.

For a reality check - who are the next 3 youngest men to make the finals in the 1500, st, 5000, and 10,000 this year?

Comment

Re: Where is Alan Webb (new 3:34.90 world standard

I just read yesterday's USA today and found out that the world championship qualifying standard for the 1500m is 3:34.90. Only Krummenacker has the qualifying standard so far. So unless Webb or the other US milers run at least 3:34 this weekend it is pretty much an irrelevant event.

If 3:34.90 (3:53.90 mile) is the qualifying standard for the World Championship this year all I can say it is going to be a small field made up of mostly African runners. Countries like England and France will also have a hard time finding qualifying milers for this years World Championships. To the best of my knowledge no Asian milers will have the times to qualify.

What was wrong with the 3:37 standard last year?
                              Having the qualifying time at 3:34.90 is a little brutal. I quess it is going to be a very small field in this years 1500m championships.

I guess Webb's lackluster performances this year is the least of US milings worries.

GO Krummenacker!!!!!!!You are our only hope!!

Comment

Re: Where is Alan Webb (new 3:34.90 world standard

>What was wrong with the 3:37 standard
                                >last year?

What was that the 'standard' for?

Comment

Working...
                                X