X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tafnut
    replied
    Re: Where is Alan Webb

Taking the money really was a no-brainer. The only upside to Michigan was to run with Brannen et al, and Webb was already used to trining by himself. He's still going to school; he's still competing; there's no guarantee he would have done any better in college; he had nothing to prove on the collegiate scene; all in all, it was the 'right' decision. Now he's not running 'well', but he still has plenty of time to reprove himself. Nike knows that if he pulls himself together, the 'story' is even better than before: Kid struggles after stellar prep career, struggles in the trenches, but hard work and PERSEVERENCE pulls him through - NIKE!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Webb may have many good years ahead of him.

Still, milers like Steve Holman and Joe Falcon retired at a relatively young age. I hear Falcon is now a police officer.

It is amazing that these two great US milers never made the Olympic team. Maybe this explains their early demise. Didn't Falcon trip twice during qualifying.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think many athletes would have turned it down because in track and field specifically, the collegiate level of competition is very necassary in the development of ones abilities and positive habits. It is also good to compete with people on your level and work your way up to consistantly high levels of competition. And once you are there, then the money offers come in once you are ready for a high level of competition and more importantly prepared for that step. What do you think Nike is thinking now about their/A.W. decision? Also, would there not have been more money had he put in his time and excelled to a high level and become dominant, which I am sure many believe he may have?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>>how many kids running collegiately
    >would
    >have
    >turned done the deal Webb
    >got???

I believe Pre turned down offers from
    >the Pro Track Circuit after returning from Munich
    >in the 100+K range.

Pre lived in a different time. He wanted the money but his Olympic eligibility (amateur status) would have been forfeited. World class runners are now pros.

Collegiate runners on scholarship are also pawns of the college system. Its not a whole lot different. Nike simply outbid Michigan for A.W.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>how many kids running collegiately would
    >have
    >turned done the deal Webb got???

I believe Pre turned down offers from the Pro Track Circuit after returning from Munich in the 100+K range.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Could you imagine how he'd be panicing today if he had passed up the Nike deal and was still running like he is now?

No doubt he did the smart thing. Hopefully it'll still work out from the running perspective.

Leave a comment:

• seamus
    replied

I'm not panicked for him, just speculating along with the rest of the posters, that's the fun part of armchair coaching. He has a long career ahead of him, (hopefully), and will get his speed and confidence back with patience, planning and lots of work. As far as money, it's easy for me to get philosophical about whether or not He should've stayed the course at Michigan, nobody was waving the money under my nose!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>how many kids running collegiately would have
    >turned done the deal Webb got???

while he's
    >not quite set financially for life, he's got a
    >good start....

give any college sophomore
    >$250K and. given the short attention span of the
    >MTV generation, they'll just see the
    >money...

future ???

it's all about the
    >moment...

I would say he did the smart thing for his future as well as for the "moment". Financial security is a big deal. In the long run its a bigger deal than running fast. And, just because he isn't running fast yet doesn't mean he won't or that he would have if he had stayed at Michigan. He did the smart thing and it paid off financially, hopefully it will still pay off athletically.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

how many kids running collegiately would have turned done the deal Webb got???

while he's not quite set financially for life, he's got a good start....

give any college sophomore $250K and. given the short attention span of the MTV generation, they'll just see the money...

future ???

it's all about the moment...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Alan claims to be looking at the long term
    >picture in his fluff article in RW. It appears
    >that he felt control was the issue rather than
    >money. IMHO (we all know what that is worth) He
    >should have given Michigan or another program a
    >chance before bailing on the whole affair. My
    >main point is that neither he or his current
    >coach seem to be able to pull him out of the
    >situation he's in, and someone with more
    >experience at this level could.

That much money is always an issue - whether or not he wants to admit it publicly or not. You say he should have given Michigan more time but you don't want to give Raszko more time. A bit hypocritical.

We don't know what he would have done had he stayed at Michigan and we don't know what he will do the rest of this year or next year.

We can try to place ourselves in his shoes - and if I was in his shoes I would have taken the bucks and left Michigan. I would now try not to panic and figure out what's wrong (and probably try to get in some fast speed work to bring those legs back to life).

Leave a comment:

• seamus
    replied

Alan claims to be looking at the long term picture in his fluff article in RW. It appears that he felt control was the issue rather than money. IMHO (we all know what that is worth) He should have given Michigan or another program a chance before bailing on the whole affair. My main point is that neither he or his current coach seem to be able to pull him out of the situation he's in, and someone with more experience at this level could.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

An interesting point brought out by several posters is the lack of quality 800m running done by the current crop of 1500m US runners. Other than Sember (berryhill too?) I rarely see the guys dropping down. No offense to the 1500m guys, but I doubt most can break 1:48. Off that speed base they have no chance against the 3:32 crowd - Ngegy, Coe, Morceli, Cruz, etc. knew this. David K. would be taken seriously in any 1500m based on his speed, the rest of our guys could take a page out of Salazar's playbook - he doesn't want his guys running a marathon until the break 28:00. Maybe our guys should try to get to 1:45 - and let the 1500m take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• 197hjsteve
    replied

hate to play amateur psychologist here, but echoing what someone said the other day, in watching the start of the USATF 1500 on television, he had defeat/headcase/whatever written all over him. I thought right then that he had no chance.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I doubt he's injured; I doubt his unusual (and
    >unusually lucrative) path to championship running
    >is a psychological problem, either, unless he's
    >training too hard. Seb Coe -- who Webb models
    >himself after -- set his 800 and mile records at
    >age 22 on very light training, while completing
    >his college degree. The fact is that Webb may be
    >like numerous other high school stars who never
    >progressed. >

He may very well be.

The one thing that has to play into this is frustration which can't be very good for confidence which is an integral part of racing.

His racing tactics do not reflect a confident runner at all. He's in the mix for 600m. Drifts to the back of the pack through 1200m and tries to make a belated move which doesn't work. If he was confident I would think that particularly with the pace on Sunday he would have been at or near the front through 1200m.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Those 6 guys in Greece actually are pretty well known, save the guy from the Ukraine, Ivan Heshko. His best from last year was only 3:37. In fact, the guy that won, Cornelius Chirchir, is the World Junior Record Holder, having run 3:30.24 last year. The second place guy is only 18, and ran 3:32.95 as a 17 year old. Seems like we have a long way to go trying to catch up with the rest of the world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X