Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Where is Alan Webb

I've never heard Webb models himself after Seb. If this is the case, Webb had better start working on that speed and running some serious 800s.

As AZ stated in an earlier post - he should try to team up with Krummenacker. There is a guy who is training like Coe did and its paying off.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I doubt he's injured; I doubt his unusual (and unusually lucrative) path to championship running is a psychological problem, either, unless he's training too hard. Seb Coe -- who Webb models himself after -- set his 800 and mile records at age 22 on very light training, while completing his college degree. The fact is that Webb may be like numerous other high school stars who never progressed. Apparently he benefited from hard training in H.S. and maybe this is as far as that can take him. Plus the world scene is just so daunting today -- six relatively unknowns under 3:33 in a 1500 in Greece last night --

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I think you hit the nail on the head man. Alan
    >at this point doesn't know how to race. I'm sure
    >he can gain that experience over time, but I feel
    >as a lot of the other posters do, that Webb has
    >put himself into a high pressure situation that
    >neither he or his high school coach seem to be
    >able to handle. I think it would have been in his
    >best interest to stay in the collegiate ranks
    >gain experience and savvy and get an education to
    >boot. I sincerely hope that he can take a deep
    >breath and get it together.

Get real! He should have stayed in college and turned down $250k a year? No way! After four years of collegiate running he would have a degree (which he will likely have anyway) and start making 35K a year, while trying to keep running? That's ludicrous.

No. He made the right decision. Go for the $ now while its there. Who knows what will happen if four years?

This may or may not turn out to be the best for his running career but financially it was the smart decision. And, Michigan wasn't doing much for him anyway.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>You
    >seem to have all the answers, Mike.

Just where the hell did you get that?

>Tell us, who
    >makes the rules? Don't they get made by the
    >successful runners and their coaches? Would you
    >call his post-high school career successful?
    >

His career isn't completed yet.

>As for moving ahead with his plan, only fools
    >keep doing he same thing and expecting different
    >results.

How many times or how long has he been doing this "same thing"?

>He POINTED to this meet. It didn't
    >work.

Uh shit happens.

>His plan isn't working.

So now you're the one with all the answers. What's his precise plan then, since you believe that you expertly know exactly what it is?

>Maybe he will be
    >successful in the future, but for now, he isn't
    >any closer to where he wants to be than he was
    >at the beginning of the year, or would you call
    >his season successful?

How would you really know that he hasn't accomplished many of his goals for the year? People on the sidelines who have never been inside the arena probably wouldn't know a damn thing about adjustment periods or gradual progression. This isn't my call, nor yours, the only person whose assessment of his season as being successful or not that really matters is Webb.

Leave a comment:

• seamus
    replied

I think you hit the nail on the head man. Alan at this point doesn't know how to race. I'm sure he can gain that experience over time, but I feel as a lot of the other posters do, that Webb has put himself into a high pressure situation that neither he or his high school coach seem to be able to handle. I think it would have been in his best interest to stay in the collegiate ranks gain experience and savvy and get an education to boot. I sincerely hope that he can take a deep breath and get it together.

Leave a comment:

• jlanza
    replied

>
    Then do tell what IS the RULE for
    >champion milers? Their coaches?

>NOW what
    >does he do?

He takes stock and moves forward
    >with his plan. What the hell else would he do?

You seem to have all the answers, Mike. Tell us, who makes the rules? Don't they get made by the successful runners and their coaches? Would you call his post-high school career successful?

As for moving ahead with his plan, only fools keep doing he same thing and expecting different results. He POINTED to this meet. It didn't work. His plan isn't working. Maybe he will be successful in the future, but for now, he isn't any closer to where he wants to be than he was at the beginning of the year, or would you call his season successful?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

People being jealous of Webb has nothing to do with his shoddy performances. I think it is more of frustration than anything else from these folks. When you see someone with immense talent, you hate to see them screw up and not reach their potential. As far as other runner's, I think most use his Nike deal as an inspiration, not so much because they believe he didn't deserve it, but to train harder and try to prove to the powers that be, that they are better than he is.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

since Ray Flynn is Webb's manager, I would make the leap of logic, Flynn knows what it takes..

sounds like a lot of people are jealous because webb got a deal with LITTLE actual REAL performance....

Based on the couple times I'd seen Webb on TV, he has NO snap, the ability to accelerate...

as a high schooler, he had it, and NOT just in ther Pre mile...

This overtaining concept might be possible, as he does look stale...

still, it's way to early in a career to discount him...have him train with Krummenacker..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I read an interview a couple of days back with the UM Coach, Webb had McMullen, Broe, Sullivan, and Brannen in Ann Arbor working out with him and he left. In my book that qualifies him as either a primadonna or one dumasse.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I understand Webb having an allegiance to his coach, but if he is going to make the big jump psychology, he needs to be in a program with a good coach, and i think more importantly, other equally as good athletes. His racing tactics indicate he is lacking in that department. He needs to be in a situation in practice where he sometimes gets his butt kicked, and then learn from those bttt-kickings. Training at this early age with inferior mates won't help his development, but only hinder it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm not
    >quarterbacking Webb, I'm quarterbacking the net
    >fans who like to say his head is messed up. What
    >I meant by the psychological following the
    >physical is that the psychological doesn't matter
    >much; it's mostly a reaction to your fitness and
    >to the resulting performances. What would bring
    >confidence to Webb, or any athlete, is to get in
    >great shape and run fast and win races.

I'll
    >take low confidence and high fitness anyday.
    >Midway through the race the athlete realizes
    >he's having a great day, gets psyched, and
    >kicks ass. The real catch 22 is that to attain
    >high fitness, athletes must walk a fine line
    >between proper hard training and overtraining.
    >If you try too hard and kill yourself in
    >n workouts, there's nothing left on race day.
    >God knows I've felt that before; like I said,
    >it's the worst.

We are all "guessing" what the problem is. From your message it sounds like you think he is overtraining, which is very likely. You are suggesting he pull back in training
    (I agree)- this is "armchair coaching".

The problem is that the overtraining results in poor racing. This then becomes a psychological problem in lack of confidence in your coach, training plan and ability. As "the pschological can follow the physical" in the positive, it can also happen in reverse. A negative mental state follows negative race performance - especially problematic since he is training very hard.

The pressure of being under a microscope doesn't help. But he's getting $250k to deal with that pressure. I'd take it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I was at the meet, so I didn't watch the meet on tv, and didn't have to listen to Steve Holman expound his expertise. Perhaps, had he been on the Sunday espn2 crew, he could have shed some light on disasterous tactical methodology, something I had forgotten he is expert in.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How old is the 800 meter kid from TExas tech??

Watching Webb, tactically, he was sitting around 3 or 4 for the 1st 600 meters or so, then drifted to the end of the pack.

He was in NO position to do anything once the pace heated up.

His ability to accelerate just wasn't evident.

Was it just me, or has Webb bulked up, he appeared to have far more muscle definition than previous times I'd seen him.

the broadcasters mentioned lack of tactical acumen during the race...

steve holman revisited???

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wow - didn't realize so many in the finals were that young - maybe it's time we hopped off Webb's back and spent some energy offering kodos to these guys. Lincoln deserves the bronze nuts award for his NCAA performances and making the steeple team. I also liked Johnson's 800 effort.

I also agree with the posting critical of all but Lunn in the 1500m. Let's not paint Lunn with the same brush as the others. He was the favorite and no one stepped up to challenge him. He deserved to be National Champion.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hey, don't forget my 2 Stanford guys in the 10,000m, Ian Dobson, he is only 21 and Adam Tenforde is just 22. They both finished in the top 10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X