Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevor Graham and Justin Gatlin

Thought I'd start a new thread with this...

From articles in USA Today on Gatlin...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... rack_x.htm

...is this quote from Gatlin:

"When I came out of college, I thought I knew everything about sprinting. When I got (with Graham), I was in for a rude awakening. In college I thought sprinting had a lot to do with legs, not the upper body. I've learned that for a lot of races your shoulders and the power you exert from you shoulders, as well as your legs, have to be equal if you want to run very fast."

Could somebody who knows something about sprinting technique comment on the above quote? I thought the upper body was supposed to be relaxed when sprinting -- that the legs did most of the work.

I've been disappointed with many of Gatlin's quotes since joining Trevor Graham. All we have heard is how poorly coached he was at Tennessee under Vince Anderson. (Before somebody jumps on me, Gatlin hasn't used the word "poorly," but he's suggested as much.) Well, as I recall, Gatlin was basically undefeated while at Tennessee, won 6 NCAA titles, and was on track to be the first person to double the 100 and 200 outdoors for four years. And he never had an injury that I can remember. That's not too shabby coaching IMO. I was very pleased with Vince Anderson's coaching of Gatlin and all of the Vol sprinters and still am. Maybe Graham should take some notes from Anderson and not vice-versa!!!

Re: Trevor Graham and Justin Gatlin

how much did trevor help him today when he got humiliated ?

Comment

Vince Anderson has forgotten more about sprint mechanics than Trevor knows.

Comment

>Vince Anderson has forgotten more about sprint
        >mechanics than Trevor knows.

You wouldn't know this based on Gatlin's quotes! According to him, he was doing it all "wrong" those two years at Tennessee. I guess six NCAA titles and no injuries (that I can recall) is "wrong." I'm about fed up with this Trevor Graham. And Justin Gatlin should sit down and pen a letter of apology to Vince Anderson for his recent quotes. What he should really do is dump Graham and get back to Vince to get his career back on track!!!

Comment

BillVol: Couldn't agree more. I was shocked when I first heard that Justin was going to leave Vince. The consistency that Vince's athletes exhibit is impressive, and as you noted, they stay healthy!

Comment

Graham

I know nothing about Graham, but I would guess he's more of a salesman and self-promoter than a track coach, riding the backs of his "students" to a big payday.

Comment

I have no reason to cast aspersions on Trevor Graham's work, but I do worry that Gatlin is making a mistake if he's trying hard to "remake" himself. There are certainly people who have done so with success, but more often than not, I think they fail to get back to their original level.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Comment

Wow, Graham has coached a world record holder and one of the fastest ladies alive and he's a bad coach. Justin tearing through the college level doeasn't mean squat. I spoke with him in Kansas city at the T anf F Hall of Fame inductee ceremony, he statde that he left because he has reached the next level. Any elite athlete will tell you that it is detrimental to stay with a collge coach. Very few have success when staying. And as far as Anderson's athletes being healthy, obviously you people don't pay attention.Explain Leonard Scott. That's what I thought.

Comment

Jonathan Wade has been hurt too. And Jabari Greer. But these guys are football players, too. I think that has something to do with it. I would guess different weight training regimen -- not to mention getting creamed by LBs and DBs.

Comment

Any elite athlete will
                    >tell you that it is detrimental to stay with a
                    >collge coach. Very few have success when staying.

Wow, that's quite a statement. I would imagine there are so many examples of people who have stayed and wound up as successful "pros" that posting them would cause the website to overheat.

Comment

>Wow, Graham has coached a world record holder and
                      >one of the fastest ladies alive and he's a bad
                      >coach. Justin tearing through the college level
                      >doeasn't mean squat. I spoke with him in Kansas
                      >city at the T anf F Hall of Fame inductee
                      >ceremony, he statde that he left because he has
                      >reached the next level. Any elite athlete will
                      >tell you that it is detrimental to stay with a
                      >collge coach. Very few have success when staying.
                      >And as far as Anderson's athletes being healthy,
                      >obviously you people don't pay attention.Explain
                      >Leonard Scott. That's what I thought.

Comment

Hey sprintman...why do you always have to drop names or say how fast you've run? Nobody cares. Especially since thanos called your bluff with the 20.2 thing. So spare us the details of your vacation in Kansas City or how fast you've "run" or how many cars you have. And by the way-maybe the best spinter ever stayed with his College coach...Clyde Hart. It seemed to work.

Comment

Another pretty good sprinter who stayed with his college coach, although injuries have hurt him the last couple seasons, is Ato Bolden, with coach John Smith.

Comment

Sprintman:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Staying with your college coach is completely ridiculous. Tellez had no business coaching Lewis and Burrell after they graduated from Houston. Sheesh, what was Ato thinking staying with John Smith? And John Capel, who just made our National Team, somebody please take the crack pipe out of his mouth. He should never have gone back to Mouse! And the worst of all...Michael Johnson! He probably would've run 18.32 if Clyde Hart wasn't draggin him down.

Dude, you really should think before you post something that ridiculous.

Comment

How about this college coach and athlete combo- Tom Tellez-Who did coach?-Leroy Burrell, Joe Deloach, Kirk Baptiste, and some other guy Carl something or other. Go cougars!! In addition to John Smith how about these names _Danny Everett, Steve Lewis, Michael Marsh, Kevin Young and then he coached a cross rival Qincy Watts. I think that statement about college coaches not taking athletes to the next level doesn't quiet have the arguement he thought. An additional group of names Bill Webb-and Tom Pappas (just the Number one decathlete in the world)

Comment

Working...
                              X