Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injury time off

Does anyone know how long Carrie Tollefson (this past year)or Suzy Hamilton( back when she had achilles surgery) were not running for when they were injured? I've been unable to run for 16 weeks with a very bad achilles injury and I'm very depressed and frustrated.

Re: injury time off

There is no set time for achilles recovery. You can accelerate your healing time with good nutrition. Vitamin C and a couple of amino acids (proline is the main one) are essential for collagen repair. High blood sugar levels can also lead to damage of the tendons. Smaller frequent meals will help keep your sugar levels on an even keel. If the injury is very severe, running in the water is still possible, just wear a splint to keep your foot stabilized, avoiding excessive plantar flexion.
    If you decide to cross train with cycling, avoid
    using toe clips. Cycle with the pedal squarely under your midfoot. I coached a runner who made it back after seven years of achilles trouble. I've also seen athletes cure the problem with a simple shoe change. Excessive pronation and bad heel counters can easily contribute to achilles troubles. Newer therapies for achilles now include eccentric loading. You should be able to find information on these methods fairly easily on the internet. Any other specific questions about all of this, just ask.

Comment

That is a great question. I am also looking for information. I just had achiles surgery about 5 weeks ago. I still have two more weeks before my Dr. says that I can begin jogging. I am nervous about missing any more time, but I want to get going. Not running and not being at nationals is killing me!

Comment

Hey Mike,

It's Drew from your SB days. I'm sorry to hear about your
        achilles troubles. Give me a call and I will help you as much as I can. 415-302-4907. Come on, you've got a 13' 5k to run in 2004.

Drew Sutcliffe

Comment

Hey Drew,
          I hope that you are well. Thanks for the note. I will give you a call this weekend. Take care my friend.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X