Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American long jumping

Anyone remember the diatribe Track and Field News wrote about American long jumping somewhere around a year and a half ago? They then rescinded that notion in subsequent issues as Americans Pate, Stringfellow, Phillips and Dilworth began ranking in the upper echelons of the world long jump scene. While they have made a strong impact on the event recently, I don't think a reversal on TF New's original opinion is warranted. Sure, they may be dominating many competitions, but with what kind of marks, 8m, 8.20m, sometimes 8.30m? That's not exactly impressive. When was the last time an American jumped 8.60, or 8.70? This new crop of jumpers isn't getting better, the rest of the world is merely becoming more mediocre. I miss Lewis, Powell, and Pedroso when he was jumping far.

Re: American long jumping

stringellow has jumped mid 27 this year and so did pate, unfortunately pate got injured. stringfellow could easily pop a big one in the coming months i think he had only one good jump at usatf, just enough to make the team. i am hoping him and phillips will be closer to 28 feet by the end of the summer.

Comment

American long jumping looks world class compared to US distance running.

Comment

Take a tape measure and look at 26 feet let alone 27. Lewis Powell and Pedroso are the exceptions. Three consistant longers over the number of how many thousands of jumpers over 19 years. 26 and 27 feet is still very good. The unfortunate thing is that Mr lewis with his consistancy and domination spoiled us with very good marks. So until you jump 28 feet with ease you should appreciate these marks and performers. BTW are our top American jumpers are world ranked. How many males jumpers are there in the world about 500,000 plus (just a guesstamet). Being top ten out of that isn't to bad. Complaints comments?

Comment

you are right tafnut, lewis was a one of those few great athletes that come around once every 25 yrs. by jumping 28 feet so often he brought out the best out of powell and myrics (his main rivals in the late 80s and early 90s) as well.
          when meets are won by mid 26 or low 27 foot jumps it becomes the norm and there is little incentive to improve. however if there is a guy out there jumping further his rivals will try to improve...

Comment

Jesse Owens was jumping well over 26 feet in 1936, so I'm not impressed by anyone winning major track meets with 26'6" or 27'. People should be jumping farther.

Comment

you are right, but jessie was one of those athletes that come around every 25 yrs. i think his record at ohio state still stands as a school record. i think jessie was born in the wrong era, judging by what he went thru before and after his career his accomplishments are even more amazing

Comment

MrRe: American long jumping

Mr abinferno How far have you jumped?

Comment

American long jumper are young and still learning and still they're at top of the world ranking. I personally feel Dwight Phillips will jump over 8.5 in the world championship in Paris.

Comment

man, LJ is a tough event. To have to get your props after Lewis,Powell,Myricks.. tough acts to follow. To know that you won't be a Superstar until you're 29'+.. that's daunting.. And it's a grueling event to train for - years of lonely leaping into sand.. If anyone gets beyond 28'6 these days, let's give 'em a hand

Comment

To my opinion, Miguel PATE has the highest
                      athletic potential in the World for the long
                      jump event.
                      One day or another -I think next year- this
                      exceptional talent will fly over the 8m70
                      distance. Don't forget.

Comment

Anyone know what has happened to Kevin Dilworth? Just a couple years ago, he was regularly going over 8m. A couple weeks ago, however, he opened his season with a 7.27m (with a +3.1m/s wind!). Dilworth's training partner, JJ Johnson, opened up at the same meet with a windy 20.75.

Comment

American men's long jumping remains on pretty shaky ground, actually. Yes, Americans were 1-2-3 on the yearly list for '04, but only two others (places 12 and 33) made the world top 40! A couple of untimely injuries and the cupboard might start looking a little bare.

U.S. had only 15 26-footers last year. Go back 20 years (1984) and you'll find 26 of them. My suspicion is that a lot of the good long jump talent is ending up in football (and to a lesser extent, basketball) these days.

Comment

Without question, the rapid rise in salaries for football and basketball have to be considered as big reasons for the lack of US depth in long jumping. Count me among those, however, who feel that holding the current crop of jumpers up to Lewis, Powell, Pedroso, and Myricks is a bit unfair. Consider that they have not had enough years to compile the records and get the distances. Also, as has been said earlier, the era just behind us was truly exceptional.

The current group of USAnians in the event is quite promising at the top, if not in depth. But if we are going to consider the ultimate measure of success as winning 4 Olympics in a single event, we may never be satisfied again!

Comment

Note that my worry about the state of the event didn't involve holding up to the standardsof Lewis & Co. The U.S. still has the top end nailed down.

It's the guys that make up the base and middle of the pyramid who are disappearing.

Comment

Working...
                              X