Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American long jumping

Stringfellow,Pate,Phillips What have you guys done lately? Stringfellow coming back from a injury season missing the big game. Pate coming off a season that he was not able to get in the air. PHILLIPS, who only won the gold medal and you guys out there ,keep asking about who is the longjumper of this day and time, also, running a 6.47 in the 60 meters isn't to bad neither. So that Phillips kid is getting faster and stronger at same time , so he must be that every 25 yr guy you be talking about

Comment

Gary Hill there is a name that all of you
      need to start remembering Brian Johnson
      as a junior at Southern he was wasting his
      time on the hoops squad then he was released
      to join the track team and started his new
      career in the long jump winning the NCAA
      indoor title with a first time leap of 27-2 1/2
      inches in the year of 2003 but unfortunately
      he tore his acl ruining his chances for a shot
      at Athens where I'am sure he could have placed
      in the medal round with a leap in the 28 ft
      club.

Comment

>Gary Hill there is a name that all of you
        need to start remembering Brian
        >Johnson
        as a junior at Southern he was wasting his
        time on the hoops squad
        >then he was released
        to join the track team and started his new
        career in the
        >long jump winning the NCAA
        indoor title with a first time leap of 27-2
        >1/2
        inches in the year of 2003 but unfortunately
        he tore his acl ruining his
        >chances for a shot
        at Athens where I'am sure he could have placed
        in the
        >medal round with a leap in the 28 ft
        club.

Repeat after me. Sentences. Sentences. Sentences.

Comment

Just remember the name Brian Johnson future
          olympian!

Comment

Just wondering hcbu fan, why do all your posts under your various names have text that only goes about a third of the way across the page?

Comment

I try to get as much info about these people
              as possible.

Comment

My comment about comparing all jumpers to Carl Lewis was not directed at you, Garry. I agree with you that the depth is not there, and my personal belief is that some of the more "glamorous" sports are siphoning off the talent. Given the money, it is difficult to blame them.

Besides, who would choose to compete in places like Zurich, Milan, Rome, Stokholm, or London when you could be competing in cultural meccas like Cleveland, Green Bay, or even Asheville, NC?

By the time a kid realizes his pipe dream of the big bucks in basketball or football are futile, it is generally too late to resume a once-promising track career. ESPECIALLY when you now have bills to pay.

Comment

I agree there is a old saying "You never miss the
                  water until the well runs dry".

Comment

Taking a more long-term approach to divining the future, how do the current High School jumpers stack up, as a group, compared with classes of, say, a decade ago? Any depth issues there?

Comment

We cranked some numbers on this a year or two back and the picture isnt' a pretty one, even though I can't put my hands on the exact stats at the moment. But to answer your decade question, last year there was one HS 25-footer. 10 years ago there were 2, 20 years ago there were 4 (and two of them were 26-footers).

The ATL in the latest edition of HST goes 30-deep (to 25-5 1/2). Of those 30 guys, two made their marks in '01. They're the only ones this millenium.

2 from the '00s (still only 5.5 seasons deep)
                      6 from the '90s
                      13 from the '80s
                      7 from the '70s
                      2 from the '60s.

Comment

Here's the stat I was looking for (although I can't find the whole year-by-year delineation of it)

After the '00 season, when we analyzed the U.S. men's LJ scene we came up with this stat: A U.S. high-schooler first reached the 25-foot barrier in 1949. In '00 there were none, joining '74 as the only years between '49 and then without one.

Comment

Asheville may not be Rome or London, but I would not compare it to Cleveland or Green Bay. Asheville is actually a great little city and place to live.

Comment

Phillips ranked #1 on the IAAF world rankings and Moffit is #4. So not that bad I would have to say. They just need to be more consistent at big meets and they will be fine. As to the lewis and others...Lewis was great jumper but some say "supplements" helped with the extra couple of feet. We will be alright for some years to come with our new crop of jumpers.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Garry. Wish it could have been more promising.

Any ideas, other than the loss of potential jumpers in other sports (due to money) as to possible causes? The only way to resolve a problem is to first understand it.

And my comment on Asheville was not meant to be too harsh, Bill. It was the only other NBDL city I could think of, other than my own town of Huntsville. Forgive me?

Comment

Will there be anyone to jump past 8.70 in the up coming season in the longjump?

Comment

Working...
                                X