X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ8mplus
    replied
    Re: American long jumping

Riff80, Hmmm I think I know who you are talking about and I believe that with his training partner he is definetly one to watch out for this upcoming season. I Heard he is already jumping well into the 27's just cant seem to get his approach right but once he does Im sure people outside of the US will know about him.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin
    replied

Breaking the record the last time around was a result of heated competition between two outstanding athletes feeding off one another's performances. I would love to see Dwight accompanied by a couple of others in that situation in the future.

Still, I am troubled by the lack of depth in the event, at least here in the US. Do any of you from Europe nations or Canada see similar thinning out of the field in your countries?

Leave a comment:

• Riff80
    replied

There is another young American that should show a lot of promise this year. Outside of the U.S. you probably will not know of him. I will say this, he trains with someone listed many times in this thread. I will not mention his name at this time.

Leave a comment:

• BisonHurdler
    replied

>I feel that Brian Johnson could join him
    in the 28-0 club and something else I
    >didn't know
    that Johnson was the leading American jumper
    with a distance of
    >26-10 during the indoor
    season.

Whenever I read hbcu fan's posts (or any other of his aliases) I feel as if I should be reciting them in Haiku.

Leave a comment:

• brother
    replied

Phillips is opening his season in the 100 meters and longjump this weekend ,so lets just see if he's ready to put his best foot forward and look good in both events?

Leave a comment:

• xcfan
    replied

I feel that Brian Johnson could join him
    in the 28-0 club and something else I didn't know
    that Johnson was the leading American jumper
    with a distance of 26-10 during the indoor
    season.

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied

wasn't suggesting he'd break the record this year, if ever. Just hoping it may be in the cards in years to come.

Leave a comment:

• sprintman84
    replied

Yeah he is definately the US guy who could go around the 8.70 mark this year. Breaking the record is a stretch. He has been working on becoming more technically sound in his penultimate stride so that is what will push him up to the next level and keep him consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied

>Will there be anyone to jump past 8.70 in the up coming season in the longjump?

I truly believe Phillips will do it this year. His speed seems to be improved, and apparently he and his coach are focusing specifically on converting the speed to his takeoff in his last few strides. He seems to have his head on straight as well. I'd love to see this guy dominate for the next few years. Who knows, perhaps a world record is in the cards?

Leave a comment:

• brother
    replied

Will there be anyone to jump past 8.70 in the up coming season in the longjump?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin
    replied

Thanks for the info, Garry. Wish it could have been more promising.

Any ideas, other than the loss of potential jumpers in other sports (due to money) as to possible causes? The only way to resolve a problem is to first understand it.

And my comment on Asheville was not meant to be too harsh, Bill. It was the only other NBDL city I could think of, other than my own town of Huntsville. Forgive me?

Leave a comment:

• sprintman84
    replied

Phillips ranked #1 on the IAAF world rankings and Moffit is #4. So not that bad I would have to say. They just need to be more consistent at big meets and they will be fine. As to the lewis and others...Lewis was great jumper but some say "supplements" helped with the extra couple of feet. We will be alright for some years to come with our new crop of jumpers.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied

Asheville may not be Rome or London, but I would not compare it to Cleveland or Green Bay. Asheville is actually a great little city and place to live.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Here's the stat I was looking for (although I can't find the whole year-by-year delineation of it)

After the '00 season, when we analyzed the U.S. men's LJ scene we came up with this stat: A U.S. high-schooler first reached the 25-foot barrier in 1949. In '00 there were none, joining '74 as the only years between '49 and then without one.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

We cranked some numbers on this a year or two back and the picture isnt' a pretty one, even though I can't put my hands on the exact stats at the moment. But to answer your decade question, last year there was one HS 25-footer. 10 years ago there were 2, 20 years ago there were 4 (and two of them were 26-footers).

The ATL in the latest edition of HST goes 30-deep (to 25-5 1/2). Of those 30 guys, two made their marks in '01. They're the only ones this millenium.

2 from the '00s (still only 5.5 seasons deep)
    6 from the '90s
    13 from the '80s
    7 from the '70s
    2 from the '60s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X