Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1500

Amen brother. If Masback had any, he'd declare a non race, no winner, no qualifier for Paris and no money. Period. Slowest winning time since ?

Comment

It's happened before. I was at Randall's Island in NY for the 1961 AAU meet when they jogged for 1 1/2 laps at about a 70 second pace, then Burleson trotted home, laughing, the winner in 4:04. Fans were booing after first lap !

Comment

>I thought that the 1500M final was straight up
        >crap!!!

The 1500M is one of my favorite races
        >and to see a U.S. Championship degrade into a
        >damn high school race is just shameful...This was
        >not a question of tactics, but a question of
        >balls, and none of these "athletes" had
        >em!!!>

A bunch of 3:40 1500m runners will get you to this kind of race. None of these guys is head and shoulders above the rest of the field. Lunn is the best right now and his best strategy is to outkick everyone. It was a fairly predictable outcome. Who would you have expected to take the race out?

Comment

I suspect the strategy would have been different had Krummenacker been in the race. With a kicker like that in the mix, some of the guys might have taken it out under 2:58, to at least to try and take some sting out of Krumm's kick.

Comment

>Slowest winning time since ?

1997 3:45.85 Seneca Lassiter

Comment

"I think y'all are being too hard on Webb's coach. Didn't Rackzo coach Webb to 3:38 EN ROUTE two years ago? That time would have blown away the field today."

Well, yeah, but I think the point really is that that was TWO YEARS ago, and that 3:47 now really isn't terribly impressive by any standard. Most shocking was Webb falling back to last (or nearly so) while the field was coasting along at ca. 2:07 pace--not a good sign...

Comment

Webb's "high school" training is good for one race. However, it does not seem to work when running heats. Maybe going through the heats just burned him out.

I find it strange that we where complaining about US miling a decade ago when we actually had talent. From 1987 to 1996 I would give US milers a solid B+.
                Today's crop I would rate about a C+.

Good US milers from 1985 - 1997

Steve Holdman (would slaughter today’s milers)
                Steve Scott (the best US distance runner ever - genius)
                Jim Spivey (US record holder 2000m)
                Jeff Atkinson (Mr. overachiever, Olympic finalist)
                Tim Hacker (solid 3:50 PR)
                Joe Falcon (last US miler to bread 3:50)
                Sidney Maree (1500 - 3:29 Enough said)

The mini US miling renaissance from this era was completely ignored by the press.

Quote of the day

"What do I think of US milers....well they will have at least two in the finals at the world championships"

Sebastian Coe - 1988

I wish we could say the same about today's US milers. We are now worrying about getting at least "two Americans milers" to the world championships.
                It used to be a given that there would be 3 American milers at the world championships. Most of the time both Steve Scott and Jim Spivey would be battling the then powerful British and African milers in the finals. Scott and Spivey didn't make life easy for either Steve Cram or Coe. Who can forget Scott's 3:47 at Oslo.

Anyone whose says there is a US miling renaissance today is smoking crack.

Comment

did nebody elose hear the booing goin on during the 1500m final? i think the crowd even knew it was too slow aka boring to watch.

Comment

Well, maybe it could be he was a 18 year old stud athlete-big man on the high school campus and almost over night he turned into the balding 19 year old mediocre athlete on the college campus. Ego couldn't handle it.

Comment

Well, maybe it could be he was a 18 year old stud athlete-big man on the high school campus and almost over night he turned into the balding 19 year old mediocre athlete on the college campus. Ego couldn't handle it.

Comment

Nevermind Webb, give him a break... he is still just a kid. What about the rest of the field? Was this a tactical race or a just plain dumb race? Everyone of those 12 guys could have run faster than the winning time if they had forced the pace. Instead, all 12 of them seemed to believe they could finish faster than anyone else. What kind of "tactic" is that? Shouldn't everyone but the winner walk away feeling pretty damn silly? Most of them never put themselves into a position to close on the leaders even with such leisurely splits.

Comment

>Abinferno, we agree again, Webb's confidence is
                          >gone. He's the richest, slowest elite 1500m
                          >runner in the world.

I'd agree with everything there except the 'elite' part... He's about 10 seconds too slow to be called that right now.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

never put holman in a tactical race...

he has less tactical sense than webb...

i notice a lot of the kids are jealous of webb and the money he's cashed in on...

let's give webb till he's 25 prior to fully judging...

looks a bit like ryus...precocious young talent, who goes through a down period...

notice how espn2 basically ignored webb in the pre race hype..

Comment

The problem is that Webb is 25 if not older. By this I mean he was and still is physically more mature than his age. He make Pyrah look young. More than the pressure he's under and his chosing to run under his high school coach I think Webb's biggest problem is that he was a man when he ran 3:53, while Ryun was still a boy when he ran 3:55.

Comment

>The problem is that Webb is 25 if not older. By
                                >this I mean he was and still is physically more
                                >mature than his age. He make Pyrah look young.
                                >More than the pressure he's under and his
                                >chosing to run under his high school coach I
                                >think Webb's biggest problem is that he was a
                                >man when he ran 3:53, while Ryun was still a boy
                                >when he ran 3:55.

Good point. Much like LeBron James is a man but Kobe Bryant was still a boy when he went into th NBA. I don't thing Lebron will improve the way Kobe has and maybe Webb will have trouble improving because he was already at or close to his physical peak at 18. Only time will tell, but you may be right.

Comment

Working...
                                X