Need advice on 100m race for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on 100m race for me

I am almost 41 yrs. Decided to try and run at the Iowa Games this year. Since I haven't run much in 20 years and trained as a powerlifter in this time, my speed endurance is real poor so I will only run the 100m besides doing the high jump, shot and discus. I have been doing mostly 40yd dashes(barely under :5) and working on running 150m for speed endurance. How many days a week should I run the 40yd and how many often should I run the 100m or 150m? I still lift at least 3 days a week and continue to gain strength as I want to lift in a meet on Aug.17 in Sioux City. Find it hard to run after lifting so I split them up. Already know I am too heavy, weigh about 190 at a height of 5-8, but somehow can still clear 5 ft in the high jump after nearly 20 years of never trying it. Any training advice would be great. I gave up on the 200m for now as I struggle to go under :27, like I said before, no speed endurance. Thank You

Re: Need advice on 100m race for me

Twister,
    Your training in power lifting has trainned your body to be strong, slow, and stable. Now you are wanting to be mobile, quick, and to move lightly. Being strong does not mean that you can move quickly, in the strength world this is the fuel between the power lifting community and the Olympic lifting community.
    I would suggest you look at including some plyometrics in your training, Jim Radcliffe's book, "High Powered Plyometrics" is a good resource. There are some good books on speed training, as well as some poor ones. You might consider what Michael Yessis, PhD, has written on speed training.
    You really need to train your nervous system to respond in a whole different way than the power lifting has done. Just "running" is not the only way to train your "new" coordination patterns.

KEL

Comment

Sounds like your in impressive shape to start! You may want to consider cutting back on your lifting even more if your serious about sprinting - I lift as well and find it difficult to drop weight when lifting 3x per week - much easier at 1-2x per week.

I would also watch your ligaments/tendons. I'm no physiologist, but I suspect they are not yet long/flexible enough to handle the sprinting (most good sprinters are v/flexible). Given your muscle power, your connective tissue will be under extreme stress when sprinting. Stretch stretch stretch!!

Good luck.

Comment

While I agree with El Supremo concerning the need for flexibility, stretching as commonly done, is not effect is making anything but short time extended ROM and possible injury. Fairly recently, there was an extensive studies done in Australia showing no long term change in ROM using stretching. Other studies showed a higher incidence of injuries using stretching, either before or after workouts.
        Flexibility can be improved by actual reprogaming of the agonists and antagonists muscles involved in the movement patterns.

Comment

How exactly would you reprogram the muscles to improve flexibility?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did run a few indoor masters meets so I have been trying to improve my flexibility since x-mas and my stride length has improved some. I just hope to go under :13 in the 100m. I may need to go under:12.5 to place. I figure on placing in the shot and discus and could place in the high jump. If you go to www.Iowagames.org and find the results from last year you will see the turn out in the older classes is low and the efforts are also.

Comment

Working...
            X