Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIN LEAVING STANFORD???

I met Vin Lanana in the spring of 1990 when he was still assistant at Dartmouth. Our college coach had retired after some 20 years and my team actively pursued him for the coaching position. It seemed that he was all set to go and he met with 5-6 soon to be seniors (including myself). We had the impression he was committed to our program and improving it. It soon became fairly clear that he had used us as a bargaining chip to obtain the head Track coaching position at Dartmouth. He subsequently stayed at Dartmouth and then later left for Stanford.
    Postscript: The rapid "replacement coach" turned out to be better than Lanana anyway.

Comment

Are you talking about Cornell? Vin's savvy enough to know that rumors concerning his departure from a job (be it Dartmouth or Stanford) are going to negatively affect recruiting. I seriously doubt he would put himself out there as a candidate for another job unless he was dead serious about it.

Comment

I understand that Robert Weir is also going back to England to be the national strength coach.

Comment

Where did Reilly come from? What exactly,or rather in a nutshell is Vins training philosophy?

Comment

The rumor is true. The school is Oberlin. Wait and see.

Comment

>The rumor is true. The school is Oberlin. Wait
              and see.<

Oberlin? No way. I think the track and field program there consists of seeing how far you can throw the bow of a cello.

Comment

There is more to an athletic department than the track and field program.

Comment

In reply to the Cornell poster who asserted that they got the better end of the deal getting Lou Duesing instead of Lananna, my only question is 'what are you smoking???'
                  What actual results are you looking at? Lananna continued to kill Cornell while returning to Dartmouth and then beyond at Stanford, there is NO comparison, mainly because Cornell hasn't/doesn't have anyone at the national level to have any results to compare to Stanford... Cut the elitist Ivy league mentality - the Ivies have some quality individuals, but nothing to rival the program Stanford (with its Ivy caliber academics to boot) has built. Stick to your well paying job and quit asserting that Cornell got the better end of the deal... They should take away your degree for making such a ridiculous statement.

Comment

>The rumor is true. The school is Oberlin. Wait
                    >and see.>>

I ran into Vin yesterday and, grinning broadly, congratulated him on his new position at Oberlin. His response was, "Well, now I know why I never bother to read your message boards."

Comment

Garry, you mean YOU read these message boards????

Comment

Look for Vin to leave Stanford. News is official on Tuesday, July 1. Look for him to become an athletic director at a Division III school and then later move up to a more prestigious AD job where he can emulate the success that Stanford has produced.

Comment

Look for Vin to leave Stanford. News is official on Tuesday, July 1. Look for him to become an athletic director at a Division III school and then later move up to a more prestigious AD job where he can emulate the success that Stanford has produced.

Comment

If Vin is leaving, good luck to him.

Comment

In reply to Juan Antonio:

I think every one of my teammates, former and current, would agree with my assessment and these are the only people that really count.

Comment

yesterday I wrote:

>I ran into Vin yesterday
                                >and, grinning broadly, congratulated him on his
                                >new position at Oberlin. His response was,
                                >"Well, now I know why I never bother to read
                                >your message boards.">>

Clearly, Vin has already mastered the the most important part of being a crack administrator: look somebody straight in the face and deflect a hard quesiton with a brilliant answer that isn't a lie.

I don't think he'll be there long; he'll rise through the ranks quickly. If you ever seen him operate in a business sense you'll be amazed at how quick and concise his thinking is, and how well he can cut through the bullshit and get to the heart of the matter and also delegate authority as needed. I wish him well.

Comment

Working...
                                X