Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sacto redux....

> Never underestimate the drawing power of free beer!!! "-)

OK, I see your point. Nickle beer.

Comment

As for my ‘beloved
      >temperate venue-Palo Alto’ not drawing 10,000: it was a sellout.

When I've gone to the meet at Stanford (and I haven't gone all of the days Nationals have been there), the meet may have been technically a "sell out" but there were a lot of empty seats around (you could see them on TV as well.) I didn't see people being turned away at the gate. It drew as many as it was going to draw. Which by the way, was about the same as the draw at the NCAA in Sacto the same year. It appears that weather doesn't really play much of a roll in drawing spectators.

Comment

Comparing nationals in Palo Alto with the Oly Trials in Sacto is unfair. OF COURSE the trials will be better attended.

I guess for me the entire summary of this thread is thus: Can anyone really say that Sac State is a great place to have the Olympic Trials?

Comment

Re: Sacto redeux....

Normally I'm down on the field waddling about with a big camera trying to come up with some decent photos for the magazine.

For the Trials, though, it's more important for me to watch the meet from up in the stands and sit with my Dad. [By the way, I still shot more than 3200 images from the stands.]

I sat on the finish side where it was hotter than the seventh level of Hades. Unlike Mike and his wife, though, I didn't have to stare into the sun.

The marker boards were nice but I think they could have been used more judiciously. when there were multiple groups in the same event you could not always determine which board went to which group.

Where I really think they could have been more friendly to the paying customer was to use the big scoreboard to tell us about what we were seeing on the field. All too often the scoreboard simply reminded us that we were in Sacramento. My brain started frying on the first day but I still knew where I was.

And lest you think that we had it made in the shade on the finish line side, because the stadium was built for the Spanos soccer teams, we almost never were able to see the runners in lanes 7-9 and often even lane 6 was obscured. And all it took was a single miscreant to stand in the front ranks and it lit the fuse to a mass standing of the fans. as a result, we often missed an entire sprint. I had a large number of fans who came only to support their favorite Southern California team. Not only would they stand but they would often stand on top of their seats. I would think that anyone that pays $43,000 a year for an education would learn some simple rules of track etiquette. And although the ushers did a great job at keeping people seated most of the time, they seemed to grasp that if they were to say anything to these arrogant and selfish snobs, they might be risking their own safety.

Since I'm on a roll dissing Sacramento, let me bring up their marketing. They appeared to have pushed their package deals on corporate sponsors and local businesses to the point where true track fans could not have access to the better seats. For instance, the six seats immediately in front of me were occupied by the same people on onlt two of the eight days. It was a family of six with the four very small children knowing or caring absolutley nothing about what was going on in the stadium. What they did know was that it was hot, that they were bored, they were hungry and that they really didn't want to be there. How do I know all of this? Because they were constantly whining. The other six days we had a string of mothers with small children that would arrive late, sit for a half hour and then leave.

It used to be that when you went to the Trials you sat with a bunch of true track fanatics. You might be telling your buddy about this junior high meet you went to down in Lemoore in '62 and the guy two rows in front of you would chime in that he was there too. Now you're sitting with people talking about throwing the spear or the one guy in front of me that was disappointed to learn that thye weren't throwing real hammers.

It's great having the Trials close to home and in a relatively decent facility but I would have to give pause before shelling out good money once again to spend a week in Sacramento. The only really good thing that can be said about Sacrmento is that it isn't Atlanta, Indianapolis or New Orleans.

Comment

I took the wife and kids to New Orleans and the Atlanta OT and OG, and we had a blast. Maybe it's because we're used to the heat/humidity, but if you're going for the meet, the rest is immaterial.

Comment

>Comparing nationals in Palo Alto with the Oly Trials in Sacto is unfair. OF
              >COURSE the trials will be better attended.

Read again: I was making a comparison between USATF at Palo Alto and the NCAAs in Sacto in 2003. That comparison can be made on a roughly comparable basis, and Sacto outdrew Palo Alto.

Comment

It used to be that when you went to the Trials you sat with a bunch of true track fanatics. You might be telling your buddy about this junior high meet you went to down in Lemoore in '62 and the guy two rows in front of you would chime in that he was there too. Now you're sitting with people talking about throwing the spear or the one guy in front of me that was disappointed to learn that thye weren't throwing real hammers.

So why don't you and your buddy from the 1962 Lemoore meet buy tickets together?
                Talk about whining.

Comment

I'm not saying that Eugene has perfect weather in July, but it ain't as bad as Seattle's, I can tell you that. And there is a big difference between the weather in May/June (when most outlanders have come to see meets)and that of mid-July when the Trials are typically held.

For the past five years, the average high temp in July in Eugene has been 80.2 degrees, and the average low 52.0. The average number of days with measurable rainfall is 3.8 days in July. Can we have a run of bad luck, like during the 1980 Oly Trials?...sure. But I will still take Eugene's weather in July over that of Sacramento when it comes to being fair to a large majority of the athletes and ALL of the spectators.

Comment

For the past five years, the
                    >average high temp in July in Eugene has been 80.2 degrees, and the average low
                    >52.0. The average number of days with measurable rainfall is 3.8 days in July.
                    >Can we have a run of bad luck, like during the 1980 Oly Trials?...sure. But I
                    >will still take Eugene's weather in July over that of Sacramento when it comes
                    >to being fair to a large majority of the athletes and ALL of the spectators.

Well, it seems that Eugene has dropped out of the bidding for the OTs. I think it was probably their's for the asking in 2000. Now Sacto is delivering 8,000 more spectators than the capacity at Hayward, and the USATF likes those numbers. I think the NCAA would have a better permanent home in Eugene as well, but the UO wasn't willing to make the required effort. Seems to indicate a lack of interest.

I personally would not object to returning to Eugene. I think the summer weather is better there than in the Bay Area for the sprinters (no fog), although it can rain in the PNW (and it almost certainly won't in Sacto).

If TJ is who I think he is, I suspect he could have a strong say in whether Eugene makes a bid for 2008....

Comment

apropos of nothing - I refuse to start a new thread for this - this makes USATF's mascot look like genius:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 0409281326

Comment

There was a thread earlier (maybe over on the history channel) regarding the worst mascots. I think we have a weiner, uh winner.

Comment

<<...... Obviously upgrading Hayward or Edwards is much
                          >less expensive and more likely to be able to happen. It would only take one
                          >interested sugar daddy (or momma) to make such an upgrade happen. That is what
                          >Alex G. Spanos did in Sacramento and it has obviously paid off.

I feel that
                          >the USATF can do a lot more to promote such an idea and develop such
                          >relationships to help the sport in the long term. Their current mode of is sort
                          >of whorishly chasing the short-term money and not looking at the long-term
                          >growth of the sport. Holding meets Oly Trials unnecessarily in places
                          >Sacramento, Indy and New Orleans (Atlanta gets a pass as the Oly site) is not
                          >good for developing interest in the sport.>>

Not to parse words too finely, but you need to understand that USATF doesn't have a lot of choice as to where it stages the OT (or Nationals). Since USATF owns no facilities and doesn't have the staff to put on a company picnic, let alone a meet of that size. (The last comment is relative to staff size, not competence.)

Therefore, there has to be a bid process. USATF says, "You want to host the OT, here's what's required." And what's required is somebody willing to pay rights fees (where do you think USATF gets significant part of operating capital?). And if site X (chose any one of the ones you have hated) has the best/only bid, USATF has no option but to stage the meet there.

Let me take this a step farther and relate it to those who kvetch about the extended format of the meet. The host city has to make money on the deal or they aren't interested. And they've got the nut to USATF to pay down right off the top. So would Gotham City rather sell 20,000 seats at 50 bucks a seat for 4 days or for 8 days? Do they want concession revenues for 4 days or 8 days?

And does USATF want the OT to be on TV 2 days or for 8 or 10? (even if it is delayed cable)

As a track fan, I'd love nothing better than the way they ran the OTs back 30-40 years ago (before I ever saw one): direct finals, two days of a couple of hours each. Compelling stuff. But facing the economic realities, I don't see how we can live with anything but what we've got.

ps--the tour side of the business absolutely detest my talking this way.

Comment

All of you guys who are whining about Sacramento being too hot...you are all wimps. I grew up in Sacramento and did runs in the afternoon heat all summer long. 100 degrees in Sacramento isn't that bad given that there is NEVER humidity. Plus sprinters love it--don't worry, it cools down at night for the distance runners. Admit it, Sacramento is the nation's new premier track and field city, as it hosts the NCAAs, Oly Trials, CA HS state meet, and Golden West HS Invite on a routine basis. Sacramento is full of track fans and runners, and no other city has better weather or puts more people into the seats. I think Edwards in Berkeley would be a good place...but parking there would be hell, and the weather is a little on the cool side...even in the summer. I say keep all of these big meets in Sacramento. The facility may not be great from a fan standpoint, but the PROS outweigh the CONS.

Comment

>quite unlikely that you will have
                              >300,000 folks show up to track meets on any
                              >given day in the US if it was
                              >sunny, 75 degrees and they were giving out free
                              >beer.

>Never underestimate the drawing power of free >beer!!! "-)

Actually, I've been to a meet with free beer once (a beer company was the main sponsor). There still wasn't much of a crowd...
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎