Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can a record be set?

What circumstances must be met to set a record? I realize that this is very vague. I have two scenarios: 1) Runner A finishes a slow heat in a state hs record time. Runner B finishes faster than runner A in the next heat. Should Runner A be included in the record progression, or does the entire event have to be concluded? Taking it a step farther, would a WR from a heat be included in progression if it was bettered in the final? 2) Stealing from an old T&FN issue: Decathlon Runners C & D are both on record pace. C is leading however. The 1500 is run. D beats C in the 1500 by :02. If D's point total surpasses the WR, would he hold the record for :02 and be included in the record progression, prior to C finishing the race and breaking D's :02 old record?

Re: When can a record be set?

The answer is absolutely yes it's a record and is included in the progression. This has happened several times (cue gh). Afterwards only the best mark is forwarded for ratification, so it may seem like runner A never had the record, but we tafnuts and statnuts (is there a difference?) know better.

Comment

Your first scenario, sure. Let's use the famous 100m at the 1968 AAU in Sacramento. In heat IV at 19:20 Greene and Bambuck run 10.0 to equal the WR. In semi I at 21:15 Hines breaks WR w/ 9.9, Smith ties it in 2nd place. In Semi II at 21:20 Greene equals it at 9.9.

Sadly, your second scenario, while certainly recognized by T&FN, has sadly been ignored by the IAAF. In both the 1972 and 1980 Olympic pentathlons, the eventual 2nd placer finished the final race (the 200) ahead of the eventual winner, and broke the previous best score (indeed, in Moscow the eventual 3rd placer did it, then 2nd, etc!). The IAAF records progression book even includes this sad statement after Moscow: "They theoretically held the WR for 1.2 seconds and 0.4 seconds respectively, but the IAAF sensibly ratified only the winning score."

SENSIBLY?!!! Excuse me: it was/is a nonsensical decision that screws deserving athletes.

Comment

Jean Galfione won the gold at the '96 OG with an OG record tying 5.92 vault. The silver medallist, Igor Trandenkov, is credited as the recordholder since he was first up in the progression to clear it, but he lost the gold on misses.

Comment

Working...
        X