Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distance runners can be made

It's a physiological fact that sprinters cannot just be "MADE" ,like so many of you suggest in different threads. Ask any physiology, exercise scientist, or realist and they will tell you sprinters are born, runners are made. The fast twitch fibers are a must.Anybody can learn how to work there way up in mileage. I know distance runners that would kill to have a little footspeed. No matter how hard they try, it's not going to happen. I have trained around guys that have run 1:43-1:44 in the 800m. These guys have pr's of 46 high in the 400m and 23 mid for 200m. With all do respect, that is not speed. Speed in 20 point.Shoot, I'll even say speed is 21 point. Speed is even a guy who can break 11 for a hundred. Any takers?

Re: distance runners can be made

I more-or-less agree with you. Maybe the only way to "make" yourself into a sprinter is, look at the thighs of elite sprinters. They're huge. If there's a way to train so you can increase the mass of your thigh muscle, that might help. Otherwise, you're shit-outta-luck unless you win the genetic lottery.
    Distance runners need a certain genetic predisposition too - spare build, cardio-pulmonary efficiency. But beyond that it's more a matter of just staying healthy and staying motivated for the years it takes to progress. I mean, you do see athletes, who've been at it for 15 years, transition from shorter to longer races, but you don't see it the other way around.

Comment

I don't think the average person could run even a five minute mile. I remember soccer practice in high school. Our top players could barely break 8 minute miles in practice.

If you took the average person in the street and had them train for 8 weeks maybe they could run a 6:30 mile.

Comment

With the proper specificity of training many people can develop themselves into a semi competitive athletes. If that person has natural potential then its all the better. Some people are just better suited for certain events. Some people are just not suited for any thing and it must really suck to be them. Sprinters have those tremendous leg muscle from the deep squats that both stretch the hamstrings for speed and engages the hams and quads and glutes and such for power obviously they do much more than that (cleans, snatches, etc.)and just sprinting packs on a little muscle too.

Comment

Hate to break it to you sprintman, but distance running is a fast-twitch sport just like sprinting is. Speed is huge, especially in mid-distance races. BTW, you say that the 800m runners who you trained around ran 46 for 400m, yet they only ran 23 for 200m?!? In other words, they held their 200m pace for the entire lap? I don't think so, bro.... any 46-sec quartermiler should be able to run UNDER 22, and I seriously doubt that there are any world-class 800m runners who can't run that fast.

Comment

If Sprinters are "born" and distance runners are "made" than I guess that settles the old question of which ones work the hardest. Distance runner of course.

That should stir up the pot. ;-)

Comment

Distance runners are born, too. Don't tell me I'm not as fast as El G, Geb or Khannouchi only because I don't work hard enough. (I don't, but it's not the ONLY reason.)

Comment

I think that in all events in T&F and in all sports its a combination of genetics you are born with, hard work (training hard) and smart work (doing the right training). The combination of these three factors probably does change from event to event but all three are necessary to be one of the best in this day and age. If you are more gifted in one of these three areas than your competitors than you may be able to get by with less in another area.

Comment

They can also be broken. As a plethora of weekend warrior road running high school coaches over a ten year period in the eighties have shown.

Comment

Hey Brian, ask Dave K what his 200 pr is. It has nothing to do with 21 seconds. He can go 46 in the quarter. He's a premiere 800 meter runner. If you ask him if he thinks he's fast. He'll admit the difference between speed and absolute speed in which I am referring to.Thanks though jacka$$.

Comment

Rico...are you saying that there is SOMEONE, heck ANYONE in the world that runs a 46 quarter that has a PR in the mid 23's for 200. Talk about a jacka$$ comment!

Comment

well it would make sense. i mean cmon if you run a 46 then you run 2 23s. most runners run a 21 first 200 and they still only run a 45 46. hes probly right

Comment

I'm friends with Dave. He will tell you himself it is easier for him to put together 23.o out the first 2 then bring it home in 23.5 or so. If he were to go out in 22 anything it would be closer to an all out sprint fo 400m. He simply cannot hold on.

Comment

Hate to break it to you but distance is not a fast twitch sport. It's a slow twitch sport. Fast twitch fiber is is anaerobic while slow twitch is aerobic. Distance running requires the muscle to use oxygen as part of its fuel requirement so the slow twitch fiber takes over. Fast twitch fiber uses no fuel and is primarily for short runs, under 800meters. At the very top level of 800 runners there are those that are able to stretch there anaerobic capacity to last virtually the entire race.

Comment

>Hate to break it to you but distance is not a
                              >fast twitch sport. It's a slow twitch sport.
                              >Fast twitch fiber is is anaerobic while slow
                              >twitch is aerobic. Distance running requires the
                              >muscle to use oxygen as part of its fuel
                              >requirement so the slow twitch fiber takes over.
                              >Fast twitch fiber uses no fuel and is primarily
                              >for short runs, under 800meters. At the very top
                              >level of 800 runners there are those that are
                              >able to stretch there anaerobic capacity to last
                              >virtually the entire race.

oops meant to say fast twitch uses no oxygen as fuel (that's what anaerobic means)

Comment

Working...
                              X