Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allyson Felix Wins USA Prep Track Award

On Tuesday, Felix got the Gatorade award as the national high school girls track and field athlete of the year.The award honors athletic & academic exceelence. Marion Jones, Chryste Gaines, Angela Williams, Monique Henderson, & Sanya Richards are previous winners. She graduated from Los Angeles Baptist High School with a 3.2 (out of 4.0, "B") grade-point average.

This year, Felix won her 3rd consecutive 100m title & repeated as 200m titlist at the California state prep champs. She was 2nd in the 200m at USA Indoor Champs, broke the U.S. indoor prep record, & was in the World Indoor Champs semis. She broke Marion Jones' 22.58 USA Juniors record AND Jones' 22.67 record in a high-school-only race. Of course, there's the world junior record, her 22.11A world leading time, & her 3rd place finish at the recent USA Outdoor Champs.

"We haven't had a winner this easy to pick since Marion Jones," said Bruce Weber, publisher of Scholastic Coach and Athletic Director magazine.

Felix told the press she still plans to enroll at USC. Her parents also want her to go to college, even if it's part-time. "School is very important," said schoolteacher Marlean Felix. "If something did evolve (professionally), it would have to involve college." Her father has expressed similar sentiments elsewhere.

Felix is one of 10 female finalists for the inaugural Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year award, across sports, on July 16. I haven't seen the female finalists list, but surely Felix is on the short list. Well deserved honor. Good to hear about kids doing well on the track & in the classroom.

http://www.sportsline.com/photos/displa ... /OTHER/18/

Re: Allyson Felix Wins USA Prep Track Award

I agree completely. I have not been able to see her compete a whole lot but its plain to see that she will have great success and will be a very exciting athlete in years to come. Not that she is not right now. But I Think her and Angela Williams and Kellie White (Among Others) are going to be our must see studs on the track.

Comment

Working...
    X