Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Usain Bolt will run 19.9 by this summer

Two sub 20.3 is incredible at 16. With more consistent running with other competitors at the level where other people ar running below the 20.3 seconds will onle do bolt good since he has not yet been tested. Leading up to the world championship we will start seeing times closer to 20.00 for Bolt or even a sub 20 before the summer is out

Comment

Sixteen-year-old World Junior 200 meters champion Usain Bolt humbled his elders at the Jamaica National Track and Field Championship, racing away from the field at the turn to win in 20.28.

Bolt holds the world under-18 record for the distance, a remarkable 20.25.

World Championship silver medalist Chris Williams was among those left in the wake of the teen's blinding run.

In-form Aileen Bailey completed a fine double in the women's sprint, and world-rated quarter-milers Lorraine Fenton and Michael Blackwood retained their titles.

Sprint hurdler Brigette Foster, ranked first in her event, took the 100 hurdles in 12.69, ahead of Commonwealth Games champion Lacena Golding, while Fenton, ranked second in the world behind Mexico's Ana Guevara, was an easy winner in the one-lap event.

Comment

I just watched him run his heat on the CBC(gloat gloat) coverage of the World Youth Champs. He is a man playing with boys. He finished second in just over 48 but he literally looked like he was jogging. Is the 800 really his event?

Comment

I hope Bolt continues to improve. I hope he does not burn out like Obea Moore did. Let's not put limits on people. True the 100 would be difficult because of the explosive starters, but in the 200 and 400 he would do fine.I tell you this if he has an average start people in the 200 are in trouble in the last 50 meters.

Comment

I'm not sure about your height predictions for him, but he certainly appears to have the natural talent to dominate the 400 in the future.
            I think most of us agree it's the one lap event where he'll truly leave his mark (like Allison Felix maybe?)but in the meantime he looks like he can mix it with the best at both.
            I think at such a height he is too tall to be a 'great' at 200m, he'll always be left at the start because it'll just take too long for his legs to unwind. Also, he's going to have trouble with inside lane draws.

As has been mentioned, there are a couple of other tall sprinters internationally of a similar height, but statistically you do find 200m guys are taller then 100m guys, and 400m guys are taller then 200 guys (as a general rule)
            Ingo Schulz, the German who won a medal in Edmonton over 400, is very tall too, but just too tall to do anything over the 200. Florian Scwarthoff was a great German 110m hurdler (13.05 pb), and he was 2.01m tall, but that event is different - he had hurdles to clear, so his height was an advantage. Put him up against hurdlers over the flat and he'd have been left.
            On the women's side Grace Jackson was about 6'1, and Heike Drechsler is around 6'0, but their strength in the sprints were great finishes - they were left at the start. Katrin Krabbe (6'0)and Marion Jones (5'10)were great starters for tall women, but both had trouble on the bend of the 200, especially if it was an inside draw.

Bolt will be a big star over 400 if he continues with the sport, but over 200 I see much less impact.

Comment

Speaking of tall sprinters...

Wilt Chamberlain at Overbrook High School in Philadelphia, ran the 440y in 49.0. Not that bad in 1954. (He stood 7-0, 225-lbs as a freshman at Kansas.)

Interestingly, in high school Wilt also ran the 880y in 1:58.3, jumped 6-6 and 22-0, and had a 53-4 in the shot.

Chamberlain of course had other legendary career stats ...which we will not go into on this board.

Comment

>Speaking of tall sprinters...

Wilt Chamberlain
                >at Overbrook High School in Philadelphia, ran the
                >440y in 49.0. Not that bad in 1954. (He stood
                >7-0, 225-lbs as a freshman at
                >Kansas.) Interestingly, in high school Wilt
                >also ran the 880y in 1:58.3, jumped 6-6 and 22-0,
                >and had a 53-4 in the shot.>>

Gee, I had thought we had laid the legend of Wilt's track career to rest over the historical side with the thread "Wilt and track and field" but apparently not. My BS-meter is really pegged to the right on this one. Those sound like perfectly ordinary high school marks and one would be tempted to say, "Sure, I bet he did that." Problem is, few people realize how poor (by today's standards) 1955 high school marks were (that's the year of Wilt's graduation).

If he had run 49.0 he would have tied for 8th on the yearly list (leader was 47.2), the 880 mark would have had him only 1.5 seconds outside the top 15 (leader was 1:54.3), the 6-6 would have tied him for 5th (leader was 6-10 1/4). Sorry, just didn't happen.

Comment

bolt did not qualify for the 400 finals at the youth championships, did he get injured?

Comment

>bolt did not qualify for the 400 finals at the
                    >youth championships, did he get injured?

According to the following link, he DNS. His heat was embarrassing he was so superior to his competition. Maybe he went home.
                    http://www.iaaf.org/WYC03/results/gende ... index.html

Comment

>bolt did not qualify for the 400 finals at the
                      >youth championships, did he get injured?

Stomach bug but he intends to run the 200.

Comment

it's too early for him to run such time but he will i don't think it will be this season

Comment

I don't think height will inhibit him in the long sprints. Extremely long levers are a disadvante in races where acceleration is critical (i.e. 60m, 100m) but he'll be just fine at 200m/400m.

Comment

Maybe he will, but not today.

Comment

I still don't know that he'll break 20 this summer, but having seen him run a 20.40 with a negative wind of 1.1mps, in the rain, against no serious competition, I would not be surprised to see him do it. One question is whether he'll have many opportunities. I doubt that you'll see him on the Euro circuit, which would leave the Pan-Ams (juniors and seniors)as the logical chances. I'm not even sure he plans to compete in both of those meets (or either, for that matter).

Regardless of whether he does it this year, he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future if he continues to develop.

Comment

Is it wise for these athletes (Bolt, Felix, Brown, etc.) to go pro at thier age? We know that T&F can be ungreatful. One may never get a second chance to make it on the grand prix circuit. I think if the "bucks" pre-empts the Degree Certificate, its not a bad thing after all, ain't it?

I think Bolt will dip below the 20.00 sec. barrier. The pair of sub 20.3's is good enough reasons for me . Guys, lets face the facts. The Jamaican has unuasual sprinting talent similar to his country legend, Ottey, the world most durable sprinter, the likes ofwhich we rarely see. These two athletes are at either end of the sprinting spectrum and should really be of scientific significance to researchers. I am scared to see what will happen at age 19 if Bolt remains focus and injury-free.

Comment

Working...
                                X