Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the blood stopped coming out of your ears?

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
      Has the blood stopped coming out of your ears?
      Inanity alert! Inanity alert! This is not a drill. Its not me, its Bek! Calling all Mods. The thread slayer has spoken and its some of his best work or worst depending on which side of the inane fence your sitting one.
      phsstt!

Comment

I just stated running semi-consistently this spring. After having trouble maintaining 7-minute pace I switched gears to running longer runs every several days (I also ride a fair bit at about 20mph). I have slowly worked up to 11+ miles. (I am 3 years older than Squack).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
          I just stated running semi-consistently this spring. After having trouble maintaining 7-minute pace I switched gears to running longer runs every several days (I also ride a fair bit at about 20mph). I have slowly worked up to 11+ miles. (I am 3 years older than Squack).
          Even if your goal is a marathon, LSD went out of favor a long time ago. Especially at an advanced age, I feel a competitive runner needs to work all of the energy systems. Do some striders for speed and range of motion. Do some repeats for strength.
          Tempo runs for strenth/endurance/ efficiency. Unless you just want to get comfortable at running long and slow. Racing as a senior athlete is an interesting challenge, but can help with motivation to get out the door.

Comment

Im still running at 52.9 years old. Born 6/17/53
            And me? I'm still SPRINTING at 51.9. Born 6/18/54!

Of course, anything worth doing is (in may case) worth doing poorly. Track and field events are strenuous enough on young muscles and joints. Masters track is a killer on the same. One hurdler friend of mine says masters track is 50 percent training and 50 percent injury management.

But don't let that scare you. Running, jumping and throwing can be as satisfying into your 90s as when you could run like the wind. And with age groups involved, you get regular motivation to kick it up a notch.

That's why I started the Masters Track & Field Home Page more than 10 years ago -- and why this niche sport is so dear to me. Besides, we can lord it over our couch-potato friends.

And like I say:

Why do they call us masters?

Because we're not slaves anymore!

K E N
            K E N

Comment

Go Ken, is it not sweeter?
              phsstt!

Comment

I did not mean to indicate that I was doing LSD, although the paceis one that I would have previously considered LSD. I am guessing I am doing 7:20-7:45 on the trails (e.g. the Arb) and 7:10-7:30 on faster surfaces. I suspect that my foot will keep me from doing too much, but it is soreness in the quads that I am still trying to overcome. I also get a fair bit of my overall conditioning from riding 25-50 miles @20mph.

Comment

Working...
                X