Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marathoners

Maybe we should talk Asics, or GE or MiscroSoft or..... into sponsoring a rival camp coached by Frank Shorter. Or maybe Don Kargdon (we could call his team Team Fruit Loops after his favorite breakfast).

Squire, I agree with you. The preliminary results from the group have not been very stirring. They did a string of road races this spring and none of the times were very fast and it produced only one victory. Lets give them through this fall marathon season though.

Maybe they could come out out of the house and up their mileage from 105 per week to 130 miles a week. (or 140 if Frank is coaching them).

Comment

Re: Marathoners

Speed speed speed. Eyestone, Salazar, Shorter all had 27:40 or better 10K speed and carried it to the marathon. Actually, with Browne's 28:00 plus Culpepper at approx. 27:40 things could look up this fall. The other factor is most US runner take up marathons too late in thier career, once they are no longer a 5k/10k threat.

A 28:30 10K guy (damn good by my standards) will suffering and not in his "efficient" zone if he passes 10K in 30:00. I don't think critisizing our current crop of marathoners is valid, though. None but Culpepper and Meb even have the credentials to compete with the top runners in the world. The other guys are undoubtably bustin' ass, but if your "just" a 28:30-29:30 guy your just not going to run 2:10 (unless your name is Bill). Watch Shay, Culpepper, and Browne this fall. Don't even get me started on our OT marathon (I believe if Culpepper runs a good fall marathon (i.e. another 2:09) he should get a pass to Athens) - but that's for another day.

Comment

Working...
      X