Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Facilities in U.S.

What do you think are the top ten track and field facilities in the United States today? If we get enough responses, we can make a list of the top ten. Your answer should include the city and name of the stadium. Reasons would be nice too. The stadium has to have an active track and field as of today. My first votes go to Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. I also like the track at Cal Berkeley. Any others?

Re: Top Ten Facilities in U.S.

I understand there is serious consideration to building a state of the art national indoor track & field center on the outskirts of Charlotte, NC (only a few miles from my house!!!)

Anyone know any more on this? A friend of mine who works for the cityof Charlotte says he thinks its going to happen.

Comment

As far as colleges go the indoor and outdoor tracks at LSU and outdoor track at Florida are very nice, but I haven't been out West much so can't compare them with the facilities out there.

I gues it depends on what you are look for in a facility.

Comment

I'd have to vote for Gainesville, FL for both indoor and outdoor facilities. Will go to Fayetville and Austin next year so won't know until then how those places stack up to other places. If they had decent stands and more restroom facilities, I'd vote for Florida State University.

Comment

I've always liked UCLA's Drake Stadium, the place where I grew up watching track and field. It seats about 15,000, and offers a nice panoramic view of the academic buildings in the distance (the campus as a whole is very beautiful). A few years ago, a big scoreboard was added. The surfaces for the running and field events are periodically redone to keep them in good shape, to the best of my knowledge.

I would guess that from about 1976-78, the (then) AAU national championships were held at UCLA (in '76, there were separate nationals [at UCLA] and Olympic trials [at Oregon], an idea that has thankfully been abandoned).

Does anybody know why national championship meets have not been brought back to UCLA since perhaps the 1970s? Might it be because of political disputes between the AAU (which has the earlier link to UCLA) and other governing bodies in the sport?

Comment

>I've always liked UCLA's Drake Stadium, the place
            >where I grew up watching track and field. It
            >seats about 15,000, and offers a nice panoramic
            >view of the academic buildings in the distance
            >(the campus as a whole is very beautiful). A few
            >years ago, a big scoreboard was added. The
            >surfaces for the running and field events are
            >periodically redone to keep them in good shape,
            >to the best of my knowledge.

I would guess
            >that from about 1976-78, the (then) AAU national
            >championships were held at UCLA (in '76, there
            >were separate nationals [at UCLA] and Olympic
            >trials [at Oregon], an idea that has thankfully
            >been abandoned).

Does anybody know why
            >national championship meets have not been brought
            >back to UCLA since perhaps the 1970s? Might it
            >be because of political disputes between the AAU
            >(which has the earlier link to UCLA) and other
            >governing bodies in the sport?

Maybe no local organizing committee to step forward and bid for them?

Comment

Love ya, coach, but you're a homer all the way. ;-)

Comment

Checked out Drake Stadium at UCLA when we went out there for the Vol-Bruin FB game. Great facility. And man that is a gorgeous campus. Was really impressed with Drake Stadium. Drake Stadium probably doesn't get the credit it deserves as one of the top track facilities.

Comment

i am extremely surprised that the greater san diego area despite its great weather has not attempted to build a decent facility. i think there will be intersted. there are several major raod races here (two marathons, carlsbad, arturo barrios in chula vista and even steve scott has a mile in santee of all places) and the olympic training center is east of chula vista so there is a lot going. A great track facility for 15-20000 fans would be welcome, but somebody needs to put down some money (sorry i dont have that much money).

Comment

The BYU track & field facility in Provo, Utah is world class--but seating is only about 5,000.

Comment

If you happen to be anywhere within a hundred miles of Brunswick, Maine, today (Saturday), go to the Maine Distance Classic. By any objective standard, it's not among the top ten facilities in the US. But if you've ever seen this meet, you understand why the place as very, very special.

Comment

>If you happen to be anywhere within a hundred
                        miles of Brunswick, Maine, today (Saturday), go
                        to the Maine Distance Classic.<

The recommendation stands, but let me correct the name. It's the Maine Distance Festival, not Classic. (This is what happens when you post things at 3am.)

Comment

Well, gang, I hate to sound like a homer, but Lodge Stadium at Mt. SAC is a dandy as well. Seats around 15,000, has hosted the US nationals several times, last time in 1979 and 1980, and has all the other amenities. All throws inside the stadium except hammer which is right outside in a new, state of the art ring. First competition in that ring produced an AR from Norgren last year around this time. Moreoever, where else ya gonna see sheep, horses and cows raoming the hilss surrounding the stadium. One of the truly great sites for our sport.
                          sd

Comment

Doh! To sound like the real Homer you need to know which word comes first in your post. Doh!

Comment

UF has a terrific outdoor facility. However, the primary jump area is tucked away next to the baseball complex making it difficult for the fans and athletes to feed off of each other. By contrast, Stanford's track has the primary jump area directly in front of the fans. At USATF nationals, the long and triple jumps, particularly the triple, were a hit...athletes and fans were all over the events. Pole Vault is in a good location too, helping make all of the jumps fun to watch with good chemistry and enthusiasm between athletes and fans.
                              Other than that, UF is athlete and fan friendly.

Comment

Working...
                              X