Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Ten Facilities in U.S.

Fans have no problem what so ever watching the jumps at UF. The fans are right on top of the pole vault and womens LJ/TJ area. They line the fence and there are benches there for the fans. Fans have no problem letting the officials know their opinions. Which can be a problem but that's another thread. The men's LJ/TJ area on the other side of the track is the same way. The fans are right on top of the action. Not only in the stands but along the fence as well.

Comment

I agree with you if you're a pole vault/jumps coach exclusively, a friend, relative or parent of a jumper, can get to the venue early enough to grab one of the few seats available, some of which have blocked views, depending upon which of the pits are being used at the time, and are willing to forego a heavy slice of the running events to concentrate exclusively on the jumps.
      I realize that there are jump runways parallel to the stands also, but the views there are often impaired by standing spectators, etc.
      I am a huge fan of Florida track (over twenty eight years), but for overall fan appeal, particularly for those who have little interest in the wonders of the jumping events, I prefer the Stanford arrangement. A better jumping arrangement can educate and build a better fan base for all of track and field. It is very difficult to watch the running events and the jumping events at the same time from the main seating at UF. This was no problem at Stanford. Other than that, give me the Gator facility any time for overall athlete, coach, and fan appeal. Please forgive me Gator coaches.

Comment

You said the jumps were in front of the stands at Stanford, where exactly are the jump areas at Stanford? Have never been to Stanford. Where could UF relocate the pv/lj areas?

Comment

The multiple long and triple jump pits at Stanford run the full length of the track finish line straight away on the infield providing superb viewing for coaches and spectators alike. This might pose a problem at UF due to the limited size of its infield which is shared with soccer. I think there were at least four pits at Stanford, two with auto leveling devices. The multiple pole vault runways are at one end of the track perpendicular to the long and triple jump areas providing great viewing for it and the high jump whose large apron is adjacent to it. The vault runways are located where the one at UF adjacent to the high jump is. As you know, it is rarely, if ever, used in competition probably due to probable conflicts with the high jump. Even the casual fan of the jumps got into it at Stanford due in larlge part to location and the charisma of the athletes who responded time and again to the proximity of a large number of screaming fans. If anything track and field, particularly the field, desperately need a wider, more appeciative fan base.

Comment

I see what you mean. If women's soccer at UF received it's own field (like FSU & others) then maybe the lj areas could return to the infield where they use to be before soccer became a sport at UF. That probably won't happen for 5-10 yrs though especially with the football stadium receiving new boxes. But at least the track infield received new grass. It was put in last week. What do you (or anybody who has been to UF)think UF has to do to get the NCAA Championships (or even the regionals) to come to Gainesville?

Comment

I too remember how the facilty was arranged before the terrific renovation. The only thing I have a problem with is the jumps. It's also darn hard to move from the pole vault viewing area back to the track, etc. Quite a time-consuming workout/walk for a coach who coaches the jumps and the hurdles, etc. and is expected to be present and available for his kids...whew!

Real good question about the regionals and outdoor NCs! I was thinking the same thing when I was out west. Palo Alto had great weather during the day, but, at least, on Friday night it got pretty darn cold for my Florida blood. Do you think weather concerns would be a problem in Gainesville in June...heat, storms, etc.
              UF put on a great indoor SECs...think we ought to go for indoor NCAAs first. That would be awesome and a lightning fast track to boot...just a year old. If supported well, then we go for the outdoors, either regionals or championship. How we go about it is out of my league.

Comment

Agree with you about indoor NCAA's. We've hosted just about everything else, why not NCAA's? Don't think weather will be that much of a concern, just have an extra rainday built in just in case. As you well know, the weather at the Florida Relays can go from one extreme to the other in one day. But that's in March. June shouldn't be that much of a problem. Know Texas has the NCAA's next year I think but what about after that? How far in advanced are they booked?

Comment

LSU's indoor and outdoor facilities are great.

Comment

...not sure, Coach, but I'll try to find out from one of their coaches and get back to you...would like to see our young men's and women's teams compete for the national title when they're seasoned and ready to roll...been fun talkin' with you. Go Gators!

Comment

True, I'm sure they are but Gainesville needs to host the NCAA's. Like how LSU arranges it's infield.

Comment

They came close this year. In a year or two watch out for the GATORS!

Comment

The men's 4 x 400 killed us in the outdoor NCs and indoor SECs; also need some major consistency in the vault and a few other areas. Talent is there. High jump should be solid again with the addition of Morrison and the anticipated return of the SEC Champ and national indoor leader, Joe Squittieri

Comment

Shortly, I'll be announcing the wedding plans of Sage and CoachKoby

Comment

Been waitin' for that one, Yentl.
                              ...want an invite!

Comment

Concerning UF in Gainesville:
                                The indoor facility may be great for the ahletes but it's lousy for spectators unless you are in the front row - since all seating is in the upper stands/balcony. If you are back a few rows you can't see the outside lanes on the side of the track you are sitting on. Thus it is NOT a good site for NCAAs.
                                The outdoor facilites are good, but Gainesville, like other southeastern stadiums, is terrible for distance runners in June. The frequent late afternoon and evening thunderstorms are, relatively, just a nuisance. But the heat and humidity are incessant - except while the lightning is flashing.
                                Nevertheless, since I live only a mile from the O'Dome (the indoor facility) and the track, I'm glad that no one is likely to pay any attention to me. I love seeing great meets in my own backyard even when they don't belong there.

Comment

Working...
                                X