X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanya Richards

How will Sanya fair at Worlds.

Re: Sanya Richards

i hope she gets the wjr of 49.42 which would give her a shot at winning, but her season may be too long.

Comment

She's clearly a remarkable talent, but let's not dump a typical case of American overexpectation on her 18 year old head just yet (look at Webb).
      It would be a great accomplishment for such a young lady to make the final. Let's give her some time to grow.

Comment

Wayne,I think she makes the finals, but asking her to medal might be a little much right now.She has had a long season and it could wear on her.I still think she is the best 400 girl we have right now with Michelle Collins and L.C-Richardson not on the team.Put her, Collins,Richardson,Miles-Clark,and Marion in the 4x400 relay pool and you've got one heck of a team at Athens.She is an enormous talent!

Comment

I agree. She'll acquit herself quite well, but sub-50 this season would shock me. Maybe next year. I think she'll be a contender for gold at Athens if the NCAA season doesn't overextend her.
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Sanya is an awesome runner.... i can see her lowering the record!! She is going to do great things.. its kinda of if-ee if she'll medal... i wouldn't be shocked if she did but i won't be dead of shock if she doesn't... peace out

Comment

>She's clearly a remarkable talent, but let's not
              >dump a typical case of American overexpectation
              >on her 18 year old head just yet (look at
              >Webb).
              It would be a great accomplishment for
              >such a young lady to make the final. Let's give
              >her some time to grow.

I agree. Sanya's goal in Paris should be to notch more international experience. I don't think she'll make it to the final, as there are too many other contenders who are as fast / faster AND who have more experience in this arena: Guevara, Fenton, the two Bahamians, three or four Russians, to name a few. However, the experience will be invaluable for her 2004 Olympics campaign.

I'd be shocked (& frankly, worried) if Sanya went sub-50 to threaten Breuer's world junior record before next year. That 49.42 WJR is quite tough, & even few pros are dropping these sort of times.

Comment

You're right, Blacklily. 18 year olds who run 49.4 only exsisted behind the Berlin Wall. Richards is a great talent, and like Felix, should be given this time to learn the ropes of international competion. If we don't burn them out, thier day will come.

Comment

Were I Richards or her coach I'd look to gain experience and just compete at Worlds with a goal of making the final. But I'd also plan on skipping the indoor season in 2004 and running a limited schedule outdoors until NCAAs. Basically, Richards and the handful of other collegians with real shots at Olympic finals need to align their seasons to the international season and temporarily make collegiate racing a secondary athletic concern.

Comment

Bubba's comment sort of raises the question of whether Richards might not be better off skipping the World Championships entirely, as Tiffany McW and Jonathan Johnson are doing, in order to rest after the long collegiate season.

One difference, of course, is that of those three, Richards is the only one with a realistic chance of medaling in Paris. Heck--in the relay it's a near certainty. But another difference is that Richards is the only one who has had experience in IAAF Championship competition. Athens would not be a first for her, as it will for the other two if they make the team.

I don't know the answer; I just have to trust that she and Bev K know what they're doing. I agree that re-shirting indoors and limiting outdoor competition would probably be a good idea, but again, I'm not Sanya and I'm not her coach. They have to do what they think is best. I wish her well.

Comment

Although I love NCAA track competion as much as the next fellow, were I Richards, Lee, Mcwilliams and the like,the words 'red shirt' would seem very tempting right now. With the addition of regionals, how can an athlete with serious Olympic aspirtations really take on a full indoor/outdoor NCAA season and still be in top form late in the year. Even if some can hold form through the trials, by the time they got to Athens they would be toast.

Comment

I wasn't aware Tiffany McWilliams opted out of the WC's. When did she make that decision?

Comment

>I wasn't aware Tiffany McWilliams opted out of
                          >the WC's. When did she make that decision?>

I don't believe McWilliams has an A qualifier and she apparently decided not to chase one.

Comment

McWilliams (as did Shalane Flanagan 5K) said after race in Palo Alto that that was it for the track season.

Comment

Working...
                            X