Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Morphing Thread

>> Soccer compliments running, running
    >compliments
    soccer.<

Yes, and they complement
    >each other well too.

I just want to compliment you on your proof reading. I'm glad someone reads my posts so closely.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

> Soccer compliments running, running compliments
    soccer.<

Yes, and they complement each other well too.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Interesting. A large majority USA &
    >Jamaican sprinters start out young, as young as
    >ages 6-9. With a few exceptions, certainly way
    >before high school they're doing middle / grammer
    >school AND club track. Although of course,
    >they're not doing Mo Greenesque workouts at their
    >age. Probably one of THE keys for these
    >countries' success in sprints, although you're
    >correct about the potential for injury &
    >burnout.

How young do distance athletes abroad
    >begin? If they start out young, is that a reason
    >why USA distance runners don't do so hot?

It is o.k. to start kids sprinting at young ages. However, if a kid shows a lack of sprint speed he will likely quickly be moved up in distance and before you know it you have 9 year olds running 10k- this is detrimental for future success.

Of course many of the African countries start kids running early. This is more cultural in many cases than competitive. But, it does get the numbers out. If you have enough numbers it then becomes survival of the fittest - attrition. Those who stay healthy and excel continue with the sport those who don't drop it. But, as we have seen in Kenya - if you get enough to participate the cream rises to the top - and they have a lot of cream in Kenya. I don't beleive they have any other sports (other than soccer - which is a lesser sport than distance running) are competing for the attention of the best athletes.

Your track coach and football coach must have had a good relationship. Perhaps they were even the same guy. There is also a school in So. Cal. that requires its entire soccer team to run track. As a result they have fantastic teams in both sports. Soccer compliments running, running compliments soccer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I don't think the hurdle situation and the throwing ring situation is quite the same thing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Too bad about the ring issue - I never threw so I didn't realize how tough it would be for Shaq to stay in. Still, I think T&F could benefit by inviting Shaq and others to compete in meets - any other athletes come to mind you would like to see participate in a meet? How about Nolan Ryan throwing the javlin, or as someone mentioned Jordan long jumping. I know they wouldn't set records, but it would be entertaining to the masses - a little marketing never hurt.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Don't worry about it. The high jump and 110m hurdles discriminate in the same way against short people. It all evens out, and there's something in our sport for everybody.

In any event, I suspect that the real reason why you don't see too many 7-footers doing serious track is that if they have any kind of athletic ability, there's a more lucrative sport out there for them.

Leave a comment:

• CoachKoby
    replied

What would you suggest?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hmmm... that is a shame that an event kind of discriminates against tall people. Maybe some changes are in order.

Leave a comment:

• richardh
    replied

No - John van Reenen, the South African great of the 1970's was around 6'7 1/2", and his countryman Frantz Kruger is perhaps 1/2" taller, but the sheer problem of staying in the circle for anyone larger inhibits the likeliehood of any exceedingly tall world class thrower. Only 1 thrower over 7ft tall has thrown over 60 meters (196'10) and that was a German called Oliver Dueck who threw 198'10 in 1995

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

To Cyril
    Have there been any 6'10-7' xx" discus throwers (elite)ever that you can recall ? I don't follow the throws much.

Leave a comment:

• blacklily
    replied

It should be the
    >responsibility of high school coaches to recruit
    >from the other sports. To get as many of the
    >talented athletes from as many sports as possible
    >to take up track as a second "conditioning"
    >sport. Some of these athletes may find they enjoy
    >and have more talent for track and field than
    >they do for their primary sport. Soccer and track
    >are perfect compliments for one another and are
    >at different times of the year in most US cities.

At my high school, our fastest football guys were REQUIRED to be part of the track team. Same went for many of our female basketball players. So this is actually already done in some U.S. high schools.

Leave a comment:

• blacklily
    replied

No other team sport requires as much
    >running as soccer. It is the perfect sport for a
    >developing a middle or long distance runner. Kids
    >shouldn't train for track until they are in
    >highschool anyway. Starting too early can lead to
    >phsyical injury and psychological burnout.
    >However, soccer is great for conditioning the
    >body and building mental toughness for a future
    >that may include track and/or CC.

Interesting. A large majority USA & Jamaican sprinters start out young, as young as ages 6-9. With a few exceptions, certainly way before high school they're doing middle / grammer school AND club track. Although of course, they're not doing Mo Greenesque workouts at their age. Probably one of THE keys for these countries' success in sprints, although you're correct about the potential for injury & burnout.

How young do distance athletes abroad begin? If they start out young, is that a reason why USA distance runners don't do so hot?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Of course world class (professional) athletes in almost any sport could excel in events that suit their abilities. Unfortunately track doesn't have as much money to offer gifted athletes as does other "main-stream" sports.

It should be the responsibility of high school coaches to recruit from the other sports. To get as many of the talented athletes from as many sports as possible to take up track as a second "conditioning" sport. Some of these athletes may find they enjoy and have more talent for track and field than they do for their primary sport. Soccer and track are perfect compliments for one another and are at different times of the year in most US cities.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yeah, I mean I'm talking about after 2-4 years of training... not like he could just step up and do it any time. He might be too tall, actually. Has there ever been a discus great 6-9 or taller?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>good call on Shaq and the
    discus. My god, he could probably hit 75 meters.<

Yeah, if he could stay in the circle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X