Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shot PR for me

Last week there was a lot of discussion on here of the small man and the shot put. One man stated that the shot is about speed. He is right. Last night I speed up my glide and threw a 31-10 and a 31-8 1/2. The speed helped alot. I also didn't get as low as I normally do at the start in the back of the ring. My technique needs work still. Next year the National Masters outdoor champs are in Illinois. I think I need to throw around 40 feet to place. Something to work for.

Re: New shot PR for me

Congratulations on your new pr's. Keep up the hard work.

Comment

I was the one who mentioned speed. I had an athlete in High School that couldn't bench 200 pounds that threw 54' with the glide, not spin. He looked like a skinny weakling until he threw it 5 feet farther than everyone. It was always hysterical watching people who didn't know who he was laugh when he entered the ring, then drop their jaw when he'd launch it. He had incredible arm speed. It's a physical law that how far you throw is determined by the speed the shot leaves your hand, nothing else! How you achieve that speed is up to technique, strength, and kinetics. Your mention of standing taller in the back of the shot is one area my athlete was taught that improved his performance.
      By the way, now that he's in college, he's improved his strength tremdnously, but he is not throwing significantly farther yet. Those that see a weak decathlete thrower, and think that just getting stronger will make him a thrower... Throwing is a talent, otherwise every weight lifter would be chucking it 70'.

Comment

My biggest problem is when I release it sometimes it rolls of my finger tips up. Don't know why. When I threw my PR's I could feel my chest and lat muscles really working in the delivery. I think I can get even more speed in the glide with some more pratice. Now , how to improve arm speed.

Comment

A good way to improve arm speed and the fast twitch muscles in the upper body is to do upper body plyometics (i.e. push ups up onto boxes(low))

But probably the best way is through the use of medicine balls, if you can get your hands on any of these maybe and 8, 10, or 12lbs. you will improve right of the bat and only get better.
          You can go to any big time throwing website and find specific movements to do with these (things like chest passes and the like).

Hope this helps and good luck, THROW BIG!

Comment

What do you think about Long and Strong throwers Journal? Worth the price? $20 for 4 issues. Saw the add in National Masters News. There web-site is okay.

Comment

I currently have a subscription, I figger, what could one time hurt, ya know. I am very happy with it, it gives you a pretty good connection to the throwing world. Theres always articles on various styles of throws (i.e. "this guys way of the glide" and whatnot) there is also great interviews and training articles.
              Most of this you can probably find on the net or in throws books but most of the time the give the "latest and greatest".
              Unles you on an extremely tight budget, I'd say go for it, if you dont like it, stop. What do you risk, right.

Comment

Twister,I to am from Iowa and will be running in the Iowa Games. I was wondering where you found out that the Masters Championships were in Illinois next year? Was it on some website. I am going to Oregon this year but I probably won't go that far away again, at least for some time. Good Luck at the Iowa Games!

Comment

Found out in National Masters news. Mel Larson the man in Iowa master told me as well. What are you running? Me 40-44 100m, high jump, shot, discus. Do Decatur next year. 2005 in Hawaii. www.nationalmasternews.com or Masterstrack.com

Comment

I am running the 100, 200, 400, and the relays. I am in the 30-34 year old group.

Comment

You may be running the 200m & 400m with Marek Wensel. He is the sprint and throw coach at BV college in Storm Lake, Iowa. He put on a couple of masters in-door races this past season. This guy can smoke at 400m(sub :50). Nice guy too. He has given me a lot of information about training. At the out-door master nationals last year I think he won the 200 & 400 and he won the 400 in-door this year at Boston. If you don't subscribe to National Masters News, you may want to. Worth the price.

Comment

Marek is a friend of mine. I am going to Oregon with his Track club. I am looking forward to racing him, at least in the 100/200. I probably won't run the 400, a hamstring injury has limited my training and I don't think I will be in good enough shape. We haven't raced each other before. The other year I was in his age group I played flag football instead. Marek is the one that really got me back into training for track though, he is a good guy.

Comment

>It's a physical law that
                          >how far you throw is determined by the speed the
                          >shot leaves your hand, nothing else!

This isn't the only variable! The trajectory of a throw is dependant on the speed at release, the angle of release and the height of release.

Your release velocity could be 100000 mph, but if you throw it straight down, it still won't go far!

ALSO, the Long and Strong Throwers Journal is a great investment! The journal is very well put together!

Comment

Working...
                          X