Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Question

I hope this question doesn't sound stupid. Can someone please tell me what the distance is of 1 complete lap around a track? I'm not sure if it is standard for all tracks, but the track I'm curious about is a high school track. Thanks very much!

Re: Track Question

If the track is dirt, then it's almost certainly 440y (a quarter of a mile). If it's new synthetic, it's certainly 400m (about 437y).

If it's old beat-up synthetic it could be either, but more likely to be 400m.

Comment

A standard outdoor track should be 400 meters. Up until perhaps the mid/late 1970s, however, 440 yards (a quarter mile) was standard in the U.S (I believe 400 meters = 437 yards). Once races in the U.S. started to be conducted fully in the metric system, operators of running tracks had two options: either renovate the existing track to make one lap cover 400 meters or continue using a 440-yard track, but place the starting lines for each race so that the distances competed over were the metric versions. I believe most (if not all) major venues opted for the former.

Comment

If running or walking laps for health: 4 laps equals 1 mile (within a few yards.)

Comment

Working...
        X