Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Johnson Question

With all the new supplements and drugs that are sliding through Track and Field's front door undetected, does anyone have an opinion on Ben Johnson's probable success had he run in this era?

I am by no means an advocate of performance enhancing drugs but Ben Johnson's potential to set the mark is thought provoking. Keep in mind that the steroids that he was taking made his body recover quicker, they did not directly make him run faster. He still had to train and maybe the success he was seeking would have came without them, just a little later.

Just putting it out there for discussion.

Re: Ben Johnson Question

uh oh . . .

Comment

LOL..... Seriously though, I would like to hear what everyone has to say on this subject.

Comment

>LOL..... Seriously though, I would like to hear what everyone has to say on >this subject.<

be careful what you wish for . . . we have this range of opinions:

A. he would have been that good without steroids (which you imply above)
        Z. he was a second-rate journeyman until he juiced.

I am somewhere in the R to V range.

Comment

faster tham good ole tim m...................

Comment

> faster tham good ole tim m...................

Depends on who had the more effective juice.

Comment

>Depends on who had the more effective juice. <
              yep, so tim probably did, so if ben was on that then what? 9.69?

Comment

>>A. he would have been that good without steroids (which you imply
                >above)
                Z. he was a second-rate journeyman until he juiced.

I am somewhere
                >i the R to V range.

I'm in the A - D range.

Ben: World's fastest human (post Hayes of course)

Comment

BS, 10flat runner at best without the illegal assistance.

Comment

>uh oh . . .

uh oh . . .The great tafnut would have worded it differently?

Pat yourself on the back Patty-boy.

(with apologies to LO)

Comment

10.1 max.

Comment

>BS, 10flat runner at best without the illegal assistance<
                        yea, but that wasnt the question posted. bj with balco=9.6 something

Comment

Ben was helped by his unusual start; my impression is that this technique requires great strength. If so, take that advantage way first. Then the other effects also matter. He was able to train harder. Drugs help some athletes more than others, and Ben might have been one of those types (looking at his build, I would guess so).

Comment

With all the new supplements and drugs that are sliding through Track and Field's front door undetected, does anyone have an opinion on Ben Johnson's probable success had he run in this era? <<<< That was my original question as PV22 pointed out. Please address it if you have an opinion.

PV22 you stated that you feel a 9.69 might have been possible. Quick question? Didn't Ben Johnson burn a 100m dash in 9.69 that was very wind aided? I remember him burning one prior to his 88 Seoul run that was amazing.

Comment

>Ben was helped by his unusual start; my impression is that this technique
                              >requires great strength. If so, take that advantage way first. Then the other
                              >effects also matter. He was able to train harder. Drugs help some athletes
                              >more than others, and Ben might have been one of those types (looking at his
                              >build, I would guess so).
                              He started in this manner when he started in track- long before the drugs. It's not as though the start itself was some type of PED-just one technique characteristic he posessed by chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X