Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey's Failure To Test For Stimulants

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/03/Sport ... on_s.shtml

>>Stories such as those make Gary Wadler wonder why the NHL, which this season began testing for performance-enhancing substances, won't punish players who are positive for stimulants as it would those positive for steroids.

The New York internist, an expert on drug use in sports and a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency, which oversees Olympic testing, told the Times, "It really speaks to the lack of commitment to drug-free hockey."<<

Amen. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until the NHL gets with the program, you won't see me watching any of their games. If everyone did likewise, we'd see a cleaner sport in a hurry. Alas, most people don't seem to care whether the hockey or any other pro sport that they are watching is drug free. Not my problem.

Comment

I think people don't care because they feel it doesn't affect the outcome of a game as directly as athletics. But it does. Ever since baseball players went on steroids in droves the hr totals went ballistic because the guys didn't get nearly as tired in August and September as they used to when they were clean. I suspect a beanied out hockey player has his legs more in April and May too.........

Comment

As hard as I am on the steroid users, I can not get nearly as excited about the stimulants. I realize there is no truly scientific way to measure effects but it seems that the truly "performance ehancing" effect of most stimulants is very small compared to something like steroids, hgh, or epo. I think the only reason I don't care that the stimulant penalties are so severe is because I figure most of the people caught are on some other drug cocktail anyway.

Comment

I think simulants are more of a problem in a sport like cycling because it can and has killed top cyclist (Simpson, UK).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            I think simulants are more of a problem in a sport like cycling because it can and has killed top cyclist (Simpson, UK).
            Stimulants can have very adverse effects on your health. They should be banned for the same reason that steroids are banned. They make you choose between optimizing your competitiveness and protecting your health. No athlete should ever have to make that choice.

Comment

Working...
            X