X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DentyCracker
    replied
    Re: The FDA and Provigil/Modafinil

With regard to caffeine it has significant diuretic activity, maybe it helps to clear the urine of banned substances, when taken with lots of water. I'll check to see whether that makes any sense, working on 1 hour's sleep here

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied

>Did the Marketplace report >definitely< say it
    >was going to be approved for over-the-counter
    >sales?

No. Report says *nothing* about over-the-counter. Only says that an FDA panel approved Provigil/Modafinil for treatment of a wider variety of problems. According to the report Provigil/Modafinil will still require a prescription from a doctor.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Did the Marketplace report >definitely< say it was going to be approved for over-the-counter sales?

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html>

After reading the article, what I said before is confirmed. Caffeine helps metabolism of fat when NO continues supply of glucose is available. The caffeine containing drinks they used also contained glucose, so no new information surfaced.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Caffeine info.
    >FYI

Interesting summary, except it doesn't mention anything about the effects of caffeine on reaction time (which is the other reason I would expect people to use it in the sprints, aside from muscle twitch).

Anyone know something about that? I'm thinking that might be another use of modafinil, too. Heighten altertness and fine-tune reaction?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Caffeine info. FYI

www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html

Sorry if it doesn't show up as a link - I'm an illiterate on this damn computer machine thingy.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<Supposedly caffeine aids the switch over to burning fat once the carbs are used up>

No marathon runner nor the road cyclist (triathlete etc.) goes entirely on to burn fat. They all take all kinds of "power bars", almost exclusively carbohydrates. Where in the world is that caffeine effect?!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Supposedly caffeine aids the switch over to burning fat once the carbs are used up. In theory, might help at the end of a marathon or in a 50K racewalk. My bet, however, is that the diuretic effects and (for many) stomach irritation large doses of caffeine can cause would cancel out any positive effects.

>I believe caffeine has a proven
    >positive effect in LONG events (over 2 hours).
    >Something related to fat utilization I think.
    >Probably why the cycling federation isn't
    >t happy, as many of their events are 3-6 hour
    >affairs. For track athletes not much advantage
    >unless in very high dose - then you may get the
    >Jimmy leg and false start

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<In 2004 both caffeine and ephedrine are slated to come OFF the banned list. UCI, the internation cycling federation, is none too pleased with WADA's decision on this, especially regarding caffeine.>

I believe caffeine has a proven positive effect in LONG events (over 2 hours). Something related to fat utilization I think. Probably why the cycling federation isn't happy, as many of their events are 3-6 hour affairs. For track athletes not much advantage unless in very high dose - then you may get the Jimmy leg and false start

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I'm all for stamping out drug
    >use/abuse, but only if it's done in a logical
    >fashion, not unscientific knee-jerk methodology.

Agreed but hasn't the army already proven that it can help guys kill people and break things?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>Nor does ephedrine
    >or any other stimulant including illegal (except
    >with the prescription) amphetamines. Just because
    >you "feel full of energy" does not translate to
    >a better performance.>>

Which is what leads me to wonder if the IAAF didn't do a bit of a rush to judgement in the Modafinil case. Since it wasn't on the banned list before Paris, and it only took them a couple of days after it showed up to declare it illegal, clearly there has been ZERO done in the way of studies to see if it is in any way a performance-enhancer.

I've been told that the only reason that caffeine and pseudoephedrine ever showed up on the banned lists was because the testers started finding them frequently in tests. Rather than actually see if they were enhancers, they took the view of "well they're taking them, so we'd better ban them." And now, years later after punishing no end of people, they've done a 180 and decided they're OK.

Given that Modafinil is apparently on the fast track to going over the counter, will it be the same?

I'm all for stamping out drug use/abuse, but only if it's done in a logical fashion, not unscientific knee-jerk methodology.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<I can honestly attest that no amount of caffeine will aid your performance>

Nor does ephedrine or any other stimulant including illegal (except with the prescription) amphetamines. Just because you "feel full of energy" does not translate to a better performance.

Leave a comment:

• abinferno
    replied

Well, as an athlete, I can honestly attest that no amount of caffeine will aid your performance in any measurable sense. Will NCAA adjust their banned list to match these changes? Somehow I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied

Above I said "ephedrine", which should of course be pseudoephedrine NOT ephedrine. If you looked at the link above or have the November issue of the magazine (page 47 I *think*) you'd have known I was short the pseudo part. Sorry for any confusion.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied

In 2004 both caffeine and ephedrine are slated to come OFF the banned list. UCI, the internation cycling federation, is none too pleased with WADA's decision on this, especially regarding caffeine. Yet Modafinil will be added.

See the following-
    http://www.wada-ama.org/docs/web/standa ... t_mods.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X