Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacobs will run in the olympics

i have a feeling that somehow, someway she will end up running the trials and olympics. sad but true. i no longer have faith in t&f athletes.

Re: jacobs will run in the olympics

I hope to be wrong, but I also fear that we'll never learn the names of all those US athletes who tested positive for THG, as USATF will find a way to keep it secret (e.g. hiding behind privacy laws). Been there, done that before...
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

No way! I understand your pessimism, but let's be realistic. She ain't gonna be in Athens. Let's not get too cynical. I know all this stuff is depressing, but let's just see the small silver lining in the fact that testing is actually catching some cheats!

Comment

USATF has nothing to do with drug testing anymore. It's done by USADA. USATF couldn't cover this up if they wanted to.

Comment

Dude! Hasn't the past taught you anything? Regina will win the OT (need I say by outkicking Suzie in the straight?) but then will withdraw from the OG at last minute!

Comment

USADA PLEASE RETEST SAMPLES FROM 1996 AND 2000 GAMES....PLEASE...PLEASE....PLEASE....

Comment

Enough with the capslock. Learn to type.

Comment

BELIEVE ME I KNOW HOW TO TYPE MY FRIEND..IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY POST THAN DON'T READ THEM...LEARN TO MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!

Comment

Cool it, asshole. NOBODY likes to read messages in all caps. It's rude to send messages like that, and if you want to breach Internet etiquette, do it in private messages with your equally offensive friends.

Comment

Pego ... if you're reading this please accept my apologies regarding our debate over Jacobs vs. SFH a month or so ago. Jacobs was one one of my favorite US athletes and I was shocked to read about her positive test this morning. I'm far from naive as I competed internationally in the 70's and 80's but it never crossed my mind she was a fraud.

Comment

> but it never crossed my mind she
                      >was a fraud.

So the fact that she broke her PB (and set a WR in the process) at age 40 didn't start the alarm bells ringing? (Coupled with the fact that she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her - all muscle and sinew). She's had great longevity (been round since 1988) but for someone with that sort of longevity, you'd expect them to set their PBs in their late 20's and early 30's.

Setting a WR at age 40, questions start having to be asked....

Comment

>>Setting a WR at age 40, questions start
                        >having to be asked>>

When they came for the 40-year-olds I said nothing, because I was not 40; when they came for the 35-year-olds I said nothing, becuase I was not 35; when they....

Comment

>Setting a WR at age 40, questions start
                          having to be asked>

I don't doubt she's dirty, but any time you start using small sample of numbers to posit something as far-reaching as a drug positive I think you're on a slippery slope.

1. The Boston track, according to most who have been there, is clearly the fastest indoor--and maybe faster than any outdoor--track in the world. Banking has you running "downhill" the whole way.

2. Most of the world's great women 1500 runners have never come anywhere near an indoor mile (or 1500, even). The record is soft-soft-soft.

It's also interesting that when an Andres Espinoza sets a masters WR in the marathon at Berlin, or Eddie Helleybuck does American Masters that everybody goes "wow, those old guys are great!" but Jacobs somehow gets demonized. In retrospect, they have apparently been right, but why did she get trashed when other great aged-ones achieve god status?

Comment

None of those marathon guys set a PB as masters - they are all running extremely well for their age, but not quite as fast as when they were younger.

Yes, the world 1500 indoor record is very soft compared to the outdoor record, but in recent years a sub-4:00 time has been far from an everyday thing, even outdoors. Thus when a woman does it indoors, it is a pretty big deal. Let alone a 40-year old one...

I'd like to comment on the 'downhill all the way' statement as well, but it's so absurd that I'm at a loss for words...
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>Banking has you running
                              >"downhill" the whole way.

She was running on a track, not a helter-skelter!!

>The
                              >record is soft-soft-soft.

The world-record may be soft, but the fact that it was a PB is still valid. In her whole international career (from 1988 when she was just 25 yrs old, up to 2003), she had never broken 4 mins either outdoors or indoors. Then, at 39 years of age, she sets a life-time best and a WR.

It's also
                              >interesting that when an Andres Espinoza sets a
                              >masters WR in the marathon at Berlin, or Eddie
                              >Helleybuck does American Masters that everybody
                              >goes "wow, those old guys are great!" but
                              >Jacobs somehow gets demonized. In retrospect,
                              >they have apparently been right, but why did she
                              >get trashed when other great aged-ones achieve
                              >god status?

There's a difference between masters WRs and all-time WRs. Espinoza may have set masters WRs at ages 35+ and 40+, but they weren't a life-time best for him, and neither was it an all-time WR. As Powell said, their times are great, but they don't represent their lifetime peak. Reaching an athletic peak at 39 yrs old....?? Pah!!

Comment

Working...
                              X