Comment

Re: Say it ain't so, Regina!!

ok, I'm just catching up with all the threads..missed the regina angle

Comment

You've got a lot to catch up on! :-)

Comment

If Regina is indeed guilty, I am crushed. She appears to be someone all about hard work and fair play. If Regina's guilty which stars can we trust?

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I can imagine a steriod would help a skinny middle to long distance runner that much. Maybe it was to help get over a muscle injury. Either way shame on her if its true.

Comment

I would think that the older you are the more steroids WOULD help with recovery, strength, etc.

Comment

there's an interesting grey area between legitimate drugs to recover and drug use which is illegal.

The aspirin every now and then, in the purest sense, to a complete idealist is a form of cheating.

For those economically fortunate enough to have access to sleeping in an altitude chamber. do they NOT derive a benefit, which less affluent folks do not.

and to extend it even further, most would admit california offers great year round training...

what about the economically challenged who can't afford the travel and living expenses to train there...

isn't some form of advantage, unfair or not, exhibited here too...

Comment

>there's an interesting grey area between
                >legitimate drugs to recover and drug use which is
                >illegal.

In all sports there are various rules, some apparently more arbitrary than others, which define how the game is to be played. Those who do not follow those rules, whether that be don't spit on the baseball or don't take this particular substance, are not playing within the rules and therefore not being fair to those who are. They should be punished.

Basketball confers advantages to those of greater biologic height. Swimming confers advantages to those of greater economic status who can afford access to pools. Are either "unfair" to those not similar advantaged? Or is it just the nature of the game?

Comment

>If Regina is indeed guilty, I am crushed. She
                  >appears to be someone all about hard work and
                  >fair play. If Regina's guilty which stars can we
                  >trust?

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I can
                  >imagine a steriod would help a skinny middle to
                  >long distance runner that much. Maybe it was to
                  >help get over a muscle injury. Either way shame
                  >on her if its true.

No, you're not old-fashioned - just naive. Like I said before on the other Regina threads...

"...the fact that she broke her PB (and set a WR in the process) at age 40 didn't start the alarm bells ringing? (Coupled with the fact that she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her - all muscle and sinew). She's had great longevity (been round since 1988) but for someone with that sort of longevity, you'd expect them to set their PBs in their late 20's and early 30's.

Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit questionable..."

Comment

well, I wonder what Suzy is thinking right now...

Comment

No, you're not old-fashioned - just
                      >naive. Like I said before on the other Regina
                      >threads...

Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit
                      >questionable..."

The letsrun boys have had her in their sights for years. Part of their case rested on the meets that she would compete in and meets she wouldn't and whether or not those meets had drug testing or not. When they first put the link up of her positive, there was obvious glee.

Comment

Your saying their case rested on knowing that in NONE of the dozens of USATF Champs Regina competed in, or multiple Olympics and World Champs (indoors and outdoors) there was drug testing, right? Never mind we all know there was.

The only major she never ran in after making the team was, I beleve, Sydney '00. That's the basis?

What absolute twaddle (whether she's guilty or not, which there seems little dobut about).

Comment

>What absolute twaddle

Not defending them-just passing it on what part of their argument was FWIW...

>(whether she's
                          >guilty or not, which there seems little dobut
                          >about).

...although now it appears that you agree with them notwithstanding the fact that the B sample is forthcoming.

Comment

>Setting a WR at age 40 is all a bit
                            >questionable...

To run 3:59.98, even indoors and even 6 months short of 40, is not all that questionable, when you consider the following:

1. She's been capable of running 4:00-4:05 for a long time. Even Mary Decker-Slaney ran 4:03 at 38.

2. The outdoor world record is 3:50.46, although many speculate on what the Chinese were doing in 1993. The indoor world record of 4:00.72 should have been broken a long time ago, by anyone.

3. No one seems to recall that a certain 42-YEAR-OLD broke 4:00.00 at least twice (gotta check my magazines again) in 1994 (topped by a 3:59.78), and ranked NUMBER ONE in the world that year. Does the name YEKATERINA PODKOPAYEVA ring a bell?

If Regina's B-sample comes up dirty (pray otherwise, as was the case for Bernard Lagat, but it doesn't look good from where I sit), what does that say about Podkopayeva's 1994 season, let alone anyone in their mid-to-late-30s and even their early-40s?

Comment

They may have gotten the correct result but they would have gotten a failing grade based on their logic. She could have gone to any meet she missed with THG in her system and no one would have ever known.

Comment

Working...
                              X