Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People think and decide......

Lets think a bit about this rediculous retesting they want to do. If we start to retest then we have to do so also for any stored samples that the labs might have from all major competitions like Sydney, Edmonton , Munich any GP's etc. And while they start to retest lets do it also for Norbolethone and modafinil beside THG. Isn't this right and fair ? Also what about the dirty past ? For example there are files from stazi on the ex -DDR athletes with details about using banned drugs. I didn't saw any WADA IAAF or IOC to take any decisions to punish them...
    Any comments ?

Re: People think and decide......

Timing is everything. If this "crisis" turns out to be the watershed event that we hope for, then the threat and follow through of testing in arrears should have a chilling effect on all other synthetics that may be out there. An athlete who may have escaped the THG dragnet may be guilty of something else and would be wise to cease and desist. The establishment of a hot line to report similar activities, the cooperation of professional sports and other federations would suggest that the noose may be tightening. Will the retesting catch everyone? No. Will it cause us to return to pre-1988, pre-1968, or pre-1948 records? No. It will, however help us going forward . . . and eventually we will.

Comment

>> The establishment of a hot
      >line to report similar activities, the
      >cooperation of professional sports and other
      >federations would suggest that the noose may be
      >tightening.>>

Cooperation of other sports would be nice, but the problem with the establishment of a "hot line" is that it has no more checks and balances than does (sigh) a message board like this. Every jerk on the planet who wants to call up and report suspicious activity is free to do so; even those who want to put pressure on an archrival they may know is completely clean. It stinks.

Comment

> Also what about the dirty past ?

Whether you or I agree with it, there is a statute of limitations in place. I believe it is three years. Those who've made it that long are essentially home free (although that premature visit from the Grim Reaper resulting from various substances they may have ingested isn't affected by such statutes).

Comment

>Every jerk on the planet
          >who wants to call up and report suspicious
          >activity is free to do so; even those who want to
          >put pressure on an archrival they may know is
          >completely clean. It stinks.

But do we know what their criteria is for responding to hotline tips? You are implying that anyone could call them up, say "athlete ABC is cheating." and a quick response unit will hop in their SUVs and start knocking on doors demanding piss in a jar.

Maybe they'll have to provide a little more specifics or supporting evidence before that happens (a syringe, a paper trail, maybe even their own name, something).

Comment

What kind of limitations are you talking about ? Why do you set limitations for a prooven crime ? The stazi files are full with evidence (read Briggite Beredonk's book she published names , even dosing about many athletes and still today stars).

And again what can you tell me about why the don't retest for Norbolethone at the last World championship (Edmonton). This drug was also (by purpose ?) escaped from the list, right. So why the WADA doesn't make it right and retest at least the year before the "detect" it to see how many superstars (and others) have been using it?

Suddenly everything is about the THG and the Americans

Comment

>What kind of limitations are you talking about ?
              >Why do you set limitations for a prooven crime ?
              >The stazi files are full with evidence (read
              >Briggite Beredonk's book she published names ,
              >even dosing about many athletes and still today
              >stars).

As I told you before, I do not have anything to do with setting the time limits. I believe they are set by the IAAF, although I could be wrong. I am pretty sure that limit is three years. Draw your own conclusions as to why they have that figure.

Stasi files and books have no bearing on this statute of limitations. You might want to look up the doping control sections of the IAAF handbook through iaaf.org.

And again what can you tell me about
              >why the don't retest for Norbolethone at the last
              >World championship (Edmonton). This drug was also
              >(by purpose ?) escaped from the list, right. So
              >why the WADA doesn't make it right and retest at
              >least the year before the "detect" it to see
              >how many superstars (and others) have been using
              >it?

I'm not familiar with the Norbolethone issue. Do you know for sure that samples still exist from 2001? Do you have supporting evidence that it was deliberately left off some list? Do you have some supporting evidence that WADA or other testing organizations are specifically NOT looking for it in their various retests?

Comment

"read Briggite Beredonk's book..."

Dred: Could you please provide the full title & publisher info on this? I don't know about it... Thanks.

Comment

Hormonal doping and androgenization of athletes: a secret program of the German Democratic Republic government

(Clinical Chemistry. 1997;43:1262-1279.)
                  http://www.clinchem.org
                  click on search and put the above details or title.

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

>Hormonal doping and androgenization of athletes: a secret program of the German
                      >Democratic Republic government

(Clinical Chemistry.
                      >1997;43:1262-1279.)
                      http://www.clinchem.org
                      click on search and put the
                      >above details or title.

More in the NYT:

""They killed Heidi," Krieger said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/sport ... ner=GOOGLE

Comment

Working...
                      X