X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5%-7% of MLB players tested failed drug test

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... o_steroids

Re: 5%-7% of MLB players tested failed drug test

The league will only admit to 'more than 5%" failing the drug test. Take a look at the old games - and I mean from 1995 and earlier shown on ESPN Classic, and look at the players today. 70% would appear to be on juice just for the added muscle mass, because MLB players have been hitting the weights for years and years. Look at Bonds. His hat size is three sizes larger than it was in 2000(according to the Giants' equipment manager in an SI article). That indicates a mixture of things, to say the least. That he's gone from 185 in 2000 to over 250 lbs. at the start of this past season says a lot. In fact, he was 185 during the 2000 season and 240 when he kicked things off for his record breaking season in 2001. All natural too, no doubt ... : ).

Comment

My wife doesn't give a fig about track but she knows it's rather dear to my heart, so she awoke me this morning with the announcement "there is a god." She was referencing the top-rated headline on the front page of the paper which said "Baseball players' tests show steroid use."

Of course, any hopes that this will deflect track's image as a dirty sport are severely compromised by the announced new penalties (all suspensions are without pay).

1 positive: "player gets treatment"

2 positives: 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000

3 positives: 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000

4 positives: 50-day suspension/$50K

5 positives: 1-year/$100,000

I guess 6, 7 and 8 positives are reserved for Steve Howe.

Comment

Fans will be more accepting of steroids in the "skill sports" of baseball, and even more so football. Do steroids equal a beautifully thrown/caught pass? Or a double-play? But in track, there is such a direct correlation between the body and the performance -- meaning, a drug-cheating advantage immediately results in a performance change. I'm not trying to make this as black-and-white as it sounds -- but I do think drug use in a pure run/jump/throw sport (track) will be viewed differently than at least some other sports.

Comment

It'll be viewed differently for one simple reason: the penalties in track make it sound as if you're an axe murderer. I know most of the people on this board think the ball-sport penalties are too light, but the sad truth is that it's the track penalties that are too harsh, not reflecting the reality of the crime.

Comment

>it's the track penalties that are too harsh,
            >not reflecting the reality of the crime.

"Reality of the crime"? Consider this analogy, steroids, or whatever banned substance, are performance enhancers in that they allow someone to achieve a performance better than they would have if they followed the rules.

Such an improved performance would presumably result in placing higher at major events (Olympics, World's, Golden League) and that usually results in significant monetary awards.

Say this improved performance is someone moving from 6th place at World's to 2nd place. With the current prize structure, that is going from $6,000 to $30,000 and resulting in $10,000 being "stolen" from whoever would have been 2nd, $5,000 "stolen" from whoever would have been 3rd and 4th, and $4,000 "stolen" from whoever would have been 5th.

What sort of punishment do YOU think is appropriate given the reality of the crime of stealing $24,000? How is that crime different than mugging the athletes as they leave the stadium at the end of the day?

Comment

And a steroid-juiced baseball player might hit the homerun(s) that mean millions of dollars; I don't see them losing a lot of sleep over it.

Comment

And a lot of people believe OJ got off of a first degree murder charge. Does that make any other murder conviction less worthy? Two wrongs do not make a right (although three lefts will).

Comment

I don't want to contribute to what might just be an urban legend, but a chick in a bar last night told me we can thank the Chicago White Sox for the implementation of baseball testing. The way she told the story, a dozen or so Sox players refused to be tested. Why? Because they knew they were clean, wanted testing implemented, and were worried that if they came up negative they'd skew the results below the minimum % needed to get it going. It's a nice story, if true.

Comment

the before and after shots of sosa and bonds are quite incriminating...mcgwire anyone??

baseball, at best, has been treading water over the past decade, with interest those under 30 declining...

so, wink wink, juice up the sport a bit to get them interested...

for players already making millions, the attended health risks is puzzling....

a few extra million measure against a few lost years, with enhanced risks for chronic injury...

but the memories of records can sustain them..

Comment

First off, let's change the subject line on this topic. It's not 5%-7%, it's 6%-7%.

If 6% or fewer had tested positive, MLB would have said the range was 5%-6%. So it's obviously at least 6%.

As for the story about the White Sox, my understanding is that the team voted as a whole to refuse tests. But the Players' Union came back and told them that would have been a contract violation and they would not be allowed to do it.

I don't think individual players were allowed to refuse tests either.

Comment

As for the story about the White Sox, my
                        >understanding is that the team voted as a whole
                        >to refuse tests. But the Players' Union came
                        >back and told them that would have been a
                        >contract violation and they would not be allowed
                        >to do it.

"Sixteen White Sox players were ready to refuse a drug test Tuesday in hopes of making steroid testing mandatory."

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/03/12/Sport ... ro_t.shtml

Comment

"the before and after shots of sosa and bonds are quite incriminating...mcgwire anyone??"

That's funny -- you could say that about Flo-Jo but Garry or Ben will yank your post (they did it to me).

Comment

>> Look at
                            >Bonds. His hat size is three sizes larger than
                            >it was in 2000(according to the Giants' equipment
                            >manager in an SI article). That indicates a
                            >mixture of things, to say the least. That he's
                            >gone from 185 in 2000 to over 250 lbs. at the
                            >start of this past season says a lot. In fact,
                            >he was 185 during the 2000 season and 240 when he
                            >kicked things off for his record breaking season
                            >in 2001. >>

Bonds is a dick through and through but my bullshit alert went off with this stuff. I saw him when the Giants came to gtown to play the Mets in the 2000 playoffs and he weighed a good 220 then if he weighed an ounce, no matter what any media guide said. And the hat-size thing makes no sense at all. I've put on 100 pounds since my high school days and my hat size hasn't changed a bit.

Comment

Giants media guide says he's 230: the "over 250" is BS.

Comment

Working...
                              X