• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: More bad news

What the U.S. doesn't
    >have--and many nations, even in the "free world"--do have is
    >government/federation sponsored doping programs. Americans have to rely upon
    >(gasp!) freelancers like BALCO.

You've got that right. I've had a couple of disgruntled distance runners complain to me off the record about certain third world federations backing their runners to the hilt when it came to doping, and then laughing at the naivety of a lot of Westerners.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>If countries like the United States stop producing designer steroids , and teaching their athletes like Regina Jacobs, Mary Decker, TJ Hunter and on andon to cheat , the world would not need WADA. >>

Well, as Homer Simpson would say, "doh!" Of course the U.S. leads in the productin of designer steroids. Why? Because it leads in the production of all pharmaceuticals, legal or not (even if the scientists are increasingly imported from countries that actually have decent science programs in their schools).

What the U.S. doesn't have--and many nations, even in the "free world"--do have is government/federation sponsored doping programs. Americans have to rely upon (gasp!) freelancers like BALCO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hey Sour Grapes....without the US and our money, the Olympic movement would fall apart even quicker that it already is. Frankly, I hope it falls apart even quicker than that.

Kurt

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

Gutsy statement. Though I don't think you can blame the United States for "teaching" their athletes to use designer steroids. This isn't East Germany, nor even a remote analogue.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If countries like the United States stop producing designer steroids , and teaching their athletes like Regina Jacobs, Mary Decker, TJ Hunter and on and on to cheat , the world would not need WADA. Its not Dick Pounds fault the US Chemist have such a huge demand for their products. The way the world views the USA these days, the chances of an American 2012 Olympics are about as good as a CBS "Christmas with the Taliban TV special."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The U.S. should tell Rogge to fire Dick Pound before anymore money is sent >>>

dick pound is just his name says !
    the ioc should have a much more professional leadership

Leave a comment:

• abinferno
    replied

Yeah, maybe chump change compared to the tremendous waste our government perpetrates every year, but waste is waste and I seriously doubt it's proportional to the needs of WADA.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Chickens.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"how many other countries have to pay $1 million a year?"

I don't know and why would you make a big deal over such chump change? Honestly.

Leave a comment:

• abinferno
    replied

how many other countries have to pay $1 million a year? probably not many. WADA is worthless.

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied

The U.S. should tell Rogge to fire Dick Pound before anymore money is sent. Besides the U.S. paid more last year than China and Greece combined paid this year and last, and they still qualified to hold the games.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

And you expect WADA to carry on a comprehensive international testing program how? With food stamps? Dick Pound sitting on the corner with a tin cup? (no, wait, that last one....)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

screw WADA, that's a ridiculous amount for dues.

Leave a comment:

• Dred
    replied

Yeah make sence why the WADA is pissed off with the Americans......

Leave a comment:

• Natasha
    replied

Any globe and mail readers out there? Today's news headline asking the U.S. to pay up to WADA or don't bother trying to get 2012. Even many of the poorer countries have made an effort to pay what they can. http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/sto ... ry/Sports/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X