Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal away?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal away?

I actually think because of the media has gotten more aggressive and there are more outlets that Jones and the related positives make Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:

i doubt it

you cannot beat the 100m men's final for prestige & probably joe public only watched 10s of the whole games - that specific final

no disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
      no disrespect for women's sport, but i doubt joe public gives 2 hoots which woman won the 100 ( or 200 final )
      I don't think the part about less interest in women's sprints is true. But what made Ben Johnson's story so big was that he made headlines with his run just a few days earlier, winning a hugely hyped final by a huge margin with a huge WR. Marion is old news, she hasn't won anything big for years, and nearly everyone who cared enough to have an opinion had for a long time believed she was on drugs.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Re: Does this recent scandal blow the Ben Johnson scandal aw

Originally posted by Track fan
        Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:
        That's not how I remember it. As Powell mentioned above, that was big news everywhere.

Now if Jones had been caught in Sydney it would have been a different story and possibly bigger.

Comment

Timing is everything.

Comment

Well, to steal from an old AW headline "The Greatest Fraud in Athletic History", twould seem that Ben has a worth compatriot :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Now if Jones had been caught in Sydney it would have been a different story and possibly bigger.
              a sliver of a possibilty if marion had won in 10.48

remember bj won the biggie event of the sport & with a stunning wr - you can't beat a fall from grace as big as that in our sport

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                Originally posted by eldrick
                I don't think the part about less interest in women's sprints is true
                i wasn't referring to dedicated athletics fans ( to whom both sexes sprints are fairly equally important ), but to joe public

joe public coudn't have given a flying fig about who won the women's 100m & whether they were busted for doping ( think texas here & multiply 10-fold for joe public who's main sports are gridiron, baseball, basketball, soccer )

i'm fairly dedicated fan, but i must admit, i had a lotta work at the time & coud only watch snippets of those games - the only race for which i specifically made time for & dropped all other work for was that 100 final ( to me, that was what those games were about ) - i don't think i even found out the women's sprint results 'till reading about it in the following day's newspaper

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                  Well, to steal from an old AW headline "The Greatest Fraud in Athletic History", twould seem that Ben has a worth compatriot :twisted:
                  That's for sure. Likely been going on for over 10 years and she has been stealing money from people longer than Ben ever did and probably much more. USAnians usually do things much better and bigger than anyone else. Morons like Sally Jenkins are already falling for her Oprah rehabilitation so she likely will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                    Originally posted by Track fan
                    Ben Johnson's scandal seem like he was popped for drinking ginseng before the 88' final....... :roll:
                    That's not how I remember it. As Powell mentioned above, that was big news everywhere.

If Marion had been caught in Sydney after her 5th event, it would have been 100 times bigger. If she had confessed in 2003 or 2004, it would have been 10 times bigger. If she had broken a WR (certainly, either one of FloJo's), it would have been 1,000 times bigger if she had been caught in Sydney, and even worse if she had broken a WR in Sydney. The suspicions stretching over the past 4 years took most of the air out of the scandal, and the fact that she sang last week was little surprise to most. I saw it coming when she went broke.

Comment

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Comment

Originally posted by Mats Nilsson
                        Not even close to the Ben Johnson scandal on an international level. It is not even being discussed in Swedish media anymore. Like I have said before: Everybody [except Eldrick] already knew that MJ wasa dirty athlete after her husband got caught.

Nobody back home is surprised any longer when American athletes test positive I am sad to say.
                        In 2000 I wasn't too sure about Marion being dirty when C.J. got caught, because shot-putters were notorious for coming up dirty long before then.

As for Ben, he had the single most-obvious motivation for getting dirty himself: He wanted to beat Carl Lewis. That made his case far more scandalous than Marion's today. Marion had been reduced to a pariah long before she sang. Going broke and facing the possibility of being ordered to testify in Trevor Graham's trial (with the possibility of more dirt on her being revealed) forced her to wave the white flag.

Comment

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Comment

Originally posted by Mats Nilsson
                            Are you so sure that CL was clean? How about those braces in Santa Monica runners
                            that's the 2nd time you've mentioned this

i don't recall him ever wearing braces during his international career ( certainly not at majors ) & not something i recall for deloach, steve lewis or marsh

do you have pics ?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X