Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to love this sport

I really did. I loved competing. I loved watching. I could stand on the practice field for hours and watch athletes work out. I would show up an hour or two before practice, and just bask in the sun on the track, I truly did Love the sport. It served me well. A college education, plenty of notoriety in my time. Injuries prevented me from reaching my ultimate goal, but I enjoyed watching people I knew and competed against succeed at the highest levels. What has happend to this sport is beyond depressing. Before, I could talk with the men in my family (all of them huge track and field fans) about amazing performances that were put down on the track. Constant debates would ensue about what someone COULD do, or MIGHT do in the right conditions. Now? Every conversation I have, even with other track fans, involves speculation about what that athlete MIGHT be doing. Even the athletes we believe are clean, the topic comes up in the form of "well I sure hope they aren't doing XYZ.....". when I see Amazing performanes now, whether its someone beating the clock, or beating father time, or both....there is that "what if" that pops into my head, no matter how subtle. Wow. I truly did use to love this sport.......

Track has lost 50% of its luster but it still out shines all other sports like a firefly next to a super nova. :arrow: :cry: :arrow:
    phsstt!

Comment

Re: I used to love this sport

Originally posted by Trackfan310
      I really did. I loved competing. I loved watching. I could stand on the practice field for hours and watch athletes work out...(
      no one died

what happened, happened - no need to lose your love for the sport - it will always survive

- it survived the cold war & huge doping in eastern bloc

- it survived big bad ben

- it survived questionable chinese times

- it survived, cj/tim/kelli

- it survived kk/thanou

- it survived ohourogou

- it will survive marion

by the time bejiing comes round, this will be ancient news & of little interest to anyone

that's the beauty of the sport - every 4y it rises like a phoenix from it's ashes

if the menfolk don' want to talk about it anymore, don't worry, we are here to do so for them !

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

no one died

what happened, happened - no need to lose your love for the sport - it will always survive

- it survived the cold war & huge doping in eastern bloc

- it survived big bad ben

- it survived questionable chinese times

- it survived, cj/tim/kelli

- it survived kk/thanou

- it survived ohourogou

- it will survive marion

by the time bejiing comes round, this will be ancient news & of little interest to anyone

!
        - at least one had to have a sex change

- doping in East bloc countries sread like a cancer so quickly that within a few short years the American women made East Germans look as virginal as Madonna at a "party"...

- by the time Beijing arrives, the half-life of the sport may well have shifted to a different rate, and hardly anyone [relative to 2 weeks ago, and to 4 years ago] will give a flying lump of golden poo about the Circus in China - except for 1 in 4 earthlings, who happen to live in China. Outside of China, most may greet the sprint finals with gigantic yawns/snickers/hand-to-mouth/guffaws.....or relapses. :lol:
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Ive always wanted to see a flying lump of golden poo as long as its shot out of a circus cannon under the big tent. :wink:
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
            doping in East bloc countries sread like a cancer so quickly that within a few short years the American women made East Germans look as virginal as Madonna at a "party"...
            my memory isn't what it used to be, but i'm hard pushed to remember many high-profile +ves between '80 - '00

by the time Beijing arrives, the half-life of the sport may well have shifted to a different rate, and hardly anyone [relative to 2 weeks ago, and to 4 years ago] will give a flying lump of golden poo about the Circus in China - except for 1 in 4 earthlings, who happen to live in China. Outside of China, most may greet the sprint finals with gigantic yawns/snickers/hand-to-mouth/guffaws.....or relapses. :lol:
            where's the haloperidol !

Comment

Before, I could talk with the men in my family (all of them huge track and field fans) about amazing performances that were put down on the track. Constant debates would ensue about what someone COULD do, or MIGHT do in the right conditions. Now? Every conversation I have, even with other track fans, involves speculation about what that athlete MIGHT be doing. Even the athletes we believe are clean, the topic comes up in the form of "well I sure hope they aren't doing XYZ.....". (
              OK, why don't you talk about pro football? Then, you can avoid these conversations by just assuming that they're doing XYZ (because most of them are. I'd personally prefer to talk about a sport that I still love and that at least is attempting to do something about doping, rather than the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., which give lip service to opposing doping but then refuse to adopt reasonable measures to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                OK, why don't you talk about pro football?
                . . . basketball . . . baseball . . . cycling . . . swimming . . . gymnastics . . . tennis . . . golf . . .

where there's $$$ (sometimes just endorsements) to be made, SOMEONE will figure out a way to gain an unfair advantage. It's human nature. Even when T&F's glass is four-fifths empty (and sometimes it feels like it), I still see it one-fifth full. We have an infinitely renewing foundation to build the future of the sport. We just have to figure out a way from it getting infested with nasty bugs, vermin and dry-rot.
                . . . everyone sing now . . ."The sun'll come out tomorrow . . ."

Comment

I'd personally prefer to talk about a sport that I still love and that at least is attempting to do something about doping, rather than the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., which give lip service to opposing doping but then refuse to adopt reasonable measures to stop it.
                  So how do you explain the wild popularity of the three major sports you mentioned compared to the almost total absence of popular interest in, if not total derision of, T&F?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                    I'd personally prefer to talk about a sport that I still love and that at least is attempting to do something about doping, rather than the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., which give lip service to opposing doping but then refuse to adopt reasonable measures to stop it.
                    So how do you explain the wild popularity of the three major sports you mentioned compared to the almost total absence of popular interest in, if not total derision of, T&F?
                    On ESPN this afternoon they mentioned the MJ problem and how the 4x1 should be required to return their medals. In the round-table discussion they talked about how PED use is widespread in t&f and cycling....no mention of other sports - apparently it is just in t&f and cycling.

For some reason these two sports are killed by this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick

where's the haloperidol !
                      Let me check with one of my other "personalities"..... :lol:

It's illegal in Canada. Can I borrow some?
                      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                        It would take a long time (longer than I have right now) to explain my views on this.

Comment

It would take a long time (longer than I have right now) to explain my views on this.
                          I could sum up my feelings rather succinctly, but non-T&F fans would call me an elitist snob for my judgements.

Comment

I think the reason Track and Cycling are more affected by PEDs than other sports, is because they are sports hinged 95% on physical ability. Bigger/Stronger/Faster/greater endurance = win. PEDs of course, make you get bigger/stronger/faster or help with endurance (epo from what I hear). In other sports, there is still the "skill" aspect. Being Bigger/stronger/faster is not going to help you hit a Jumper, catch a pass, or connect with a Pitch. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that players in other sports don't get a TREMENDOUS advantage from PEDs, I am simply saying this why there may not be quite as much outcry about it. However, as far as Homeruns are concerned, I've heard many people argue that Steroids would not help much in that area. That is absolutely crap. Home Runs are a Power stat. Do drugs help you connect with the ball? No. Do they help you know the ball out of the park when you DO connect? Absolutely. Anyone who says otherwise needs to just crawl under a rock somewhere. I could go on about this for awhile, but alas, I won't.

Comment

Do drugs help you connect with the ball? No. Do they help you know the ball out of the park when you DO connect? Absolutely.
                              Same in golf, which many people think isn't aided by PEDs. Even bowling is aided.

Comment

Working...
                              X