X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Pretty Huge: CJ Hunter

IAAF tried to cut a deal?!

Re: This Is Pretty Huge: CJ Hunter

We'll probably never know the truth but I wouldn't be at all surprised. I've always thought that's what happened with Flo Jo, they caught her and told her to retire or else. Why would she have given up all that $$$$ otherwise? (Hope I'm not breaking any board rules here)

Comment

Read again: if you buy the IAAF version of events, they simply suggested they'd delay the announcement of his test. Then they'd burn him after the Games.

Comment

Gee, I'm shocked.....NOT!

The IAAF members are nothing more than fellow former drug-using athletes who are protecting their records & financial interests by continuing to promote to their sponsorships and the public at large that they are indeed trying to "clean-up" the sport through drug-testing. What BS!

Kurt

Comment

• michael lewis
          • Oct 2005

"I've always thought that's what happened with Flo Jo, they caught her and told her to retire or else. Why would she have given up all that $$$$ otherwise?"

I always wondered why she didn't go straight to the 400 and smash that record too. If she'd trained for Seoul in the 400, that record would be sitting at around 46.5, + or - chump change. So why that crazy dabbling with distance running? Something about the way she went away didn't sit right, and to me it was not like Wilma Rudolph, who really wanted to quit while she was on top. Not by a long shot.

Comment

>Gee, I'm shocked.....NOT!

The IAAF members are nothing more than fellow
            >former drug-using athletes who are protecting their records & financial
            >interests by continuing to promote to their sponsorships and the public at
            >large that they are indeed trying to "clean-up" the sport through
            >drug-testing. What BS!

Kurt>

Where is Dickwad Pound when you need him!

Comment

"Dick Pound, chief of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said then that the Hunter case looked like a coverup on the part of USA Track & Field."

Comment

Why is this surprising? Rumors about an American sprinter being in a similar situation in '92 are all over the place (he was allowed to run, but didn't run near as well as he had been doing prior to being tested) and rumors about several E. Africans being popped for EPO and other drugs are bandied about as well - with a couple of the subjects of those rumors had mysterious declines in performance as well. Who knows? We won't, until the whole thing finally collapses under its own weight. The only question is how far off that is.

Yes, the names are left out so no one claims that anyone is trying to ruin an athlete, etc.

Comment

Sounds like CJ's trying to cash in on the current craze in hopes of acquiring some kind of "immunity".

Comment

>Sounds like CJ's trying to cash in on the current craze in hopes of acquiring
                    >some kind of "immunity".

Can't really see the iaaf appreciating his comments that much, it's probably just pay-back time by CJ. I saw him a few times when he was married to Marion and he acted like a complete jerk.

There are posts on iaaf.org saying other very well known athletes have made the same claims in the past, probably get deleted if I post the names here. It would not surprise me in the least if it's true.

Comment

• michael lewis
                      • Oct 2005

"Why is this surprising?"

About as surprising as an admission by Michael Jackson that he sleeps in an isolation tank filled with a mild bleach solution.

Comment

>>There are posts on iaaf.org saying other very well known athletes have made the same claims in the past, probably get deleted if I post the names here. It would not surprise me in the least if it's true.>>

But you telling us that somebody told you that somebody on iaaf.org said they new "truths," but the original poster is unidentifiable is scurrilous rumour of the first rank. I, for one, am exceeding glad that TFN takes a conservative view on such matters. Unless you live on a steady diet of supermarket tabloids and reality shows, surely you're above this kind of base slander and innuendo?

Comment

>>>There are posts on iaaf.org saying other very well known athletes have made
                          >the same claims in the past, probably get deleted if I post the names here. It
                          >would not surprise me in the least if it's true.>>

But you telling us that
                          >somebody told you that somebody on iaaf.org said they new "truths," but the
                          >original poster is unidentifiable is scurrilous rumour of the first rank. I,
                          >for one, am exceeding glad that TFN takes a conservative view on such matters.
                          >Unless you live on a steady diet of supermarket tabloids and reality shows,
                          >surely you're above this kind of base slander and innuendo?

No, it's called freedom of choice. If you want to hear about the rumours go take a look. If don't, don't. I agree 100% with T&F's policy. As it happens I have first hand knowledge of what went on in the 70's and 80's but would never dream of posting what I know on any board. My experience causes me to lean towards believing much of this, unfortunately.

Regarding my reading and TV watching habits: I buy the Sunday Times from London every week; subscribe to the LA Times and Time magazine; read the Times & Telegraph (UK) online everyday; watch BBC World News and PBS-type programs. Never seen one minute of a reality show or game show...but, you know what? On occasion I open up the National Enquirer when I'm in the grocery line...LOL!

Comment

• huh?
                            • Oct 2005

>Sounds like CJ's trying to cash in on the current craze in hopes of acquiring some kind of "immunity".<

Why would he need immunity? Immunity from what? His two-year period of ineligibility has expired. He could come back right now (assuming he went through any required reinstatement testing). And if you think anyone is going to give him immunity from future testing if he does come back, think again.

Comment

• The King
                              • Oct 2005

Another report from BBC Sport:Athletics

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, Sport Online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
                              X