• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Gene "Modification"

Originally posted by eldrick
    15y later, i don't know if they got anywhere ( too lazy to look it up - daisy probably got info )
    In 2001 it was just around the corner. I believe they still have "reliable expression" problems, of course they will not admit it unless they have to. . :roll: And they do have to face reality with a phase 3 trial, no amount of their hype can make get it through if it does not work.

(actually, I'm not sure it even got to phase 2)

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco
    replied
    Imagine an athlete named Jean Doe Ping. Not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    To do the same in an already developed human would require an adenovirus vector to introduce the gene
    they were telling us in the early '90s that they were working on a gene-therapy cure for cystic fibrosis by inhaling a presumed vector containing the modified gene ( to get to the lungs which is organ most affected, albeit whole body is afflicted )

15y later, i don't know if they got anywhere ( too lazy to look it up - daisy probably got info )

Leave a comment:

• Athleticsimaging
    replied

So given this "success rate" our gene doping engineers would have to have started about 50 years ago and encouraged two rounds of inbreeding to get these ultra marathoners. Some chance of this before 2010, if ever.
    Will you please stop undermining hype with actual facts or you'll end up substantially reducing worldwide rabies diagnoses...

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Originally posted by James Fields
    "A research team led by Richard Hanson of Case Western Reserve University has produced a colony of 'supermice.' . . . By modifying a single metabolism gene, researchers enhanced the mouse's ability "
    Not to mention that they cherry pick the mice that show the desired trait for the papers. Due to gene silencing, which is common, only some of those mice that were made will have the endurance trait.
    Here are the actual numbers from their paper.

Of the 34 mice that were produced, only six positive founders, were chosen for further study. (designated A, B, C, D, E and F)

And even these did not show a high enough level of gene expression. To really boost it they had to mate C and D together to get mice that had both C and D new genes. And then mate mice with both C and D genes to get grandchildren mice with two copies of both C and D genes.

So given this "success rate" our gene doping engineers would have to have started about 50 years ago and encouraged two rounds of inbreeding to get these ultra marathoners. Some chance of this before 2010, if ever.

Leave a comment:

• Novitiate
    replied
    Maybe Alvin Toffler should write a book about X-Mice, the transgenderically altered species that can dance for 500 hours to "I Will Survive"....

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Originally posted by James Fields
    Pego wrote: "Daisy is right, of course. All this "gene therapy" in near future is pure sci-fi."
    --------
    I can't comment regarding gene "therapy" but I can share a brief news item from the current issue of Knoxville's Metro Pulse newspaper:

"A research team led by Richard Hanson of Case Western Reserve University has produced a colony of 'supermice.' . . . By modifying a single metabolism gene, researchers enhanced the mouse's ability to use body fat for energy, creating a mouse that can run five hours without stopping. . . . According to Hanson, humans have eactly the same modifiable gene..."
    But note that those transgenic mice were made from the transformation of a stem cell that is then made into a mouse. So unless we started making these superhumans ten to fifteen years ago there is little chance of them hitting the 2010 olympics. Not to mention that they cherry pick the mice that show the desired trait for the papers. Due to gene silencing, which is common, only some of those mice that were made will have the endurance trait.

To do the same in an already developed human would require an adenovirus vector to introduce the gene. This technology exists but the chances of the gene functioning correctly are slim. The chances of side effects that make the individual non-competitive are high. Worse for the gene dopers, what is to stop the testers indentifying this new gene using PCR techniques once it is inserted?

All in all this is a non starter and the hypers must know it.

Leave a comment:

• Novitiate
    replied
    Originally posted by bekeselassie
    Go easy on eldy. American isn't his first language.
    Apparently spelling and English grammar are not subjects Mennisco should claim to be qualified to teach:

http://tinyurl.com/33f96v

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/its

:twisted:

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied
    Gene "Modification"

Pego wrote: "Daisy is right, of course. All this "gene therapy" in near future is pure sci-fi."
    --------
    I can't comment regarding gene "therapy" but I can share a brief news item from the current issue of Knoxville's Metro Pulse newspaper:

"A research team led by Richard Hanson of Case Western Reserve University has produced a colony of 'supermice.' . . . By modifying a single metabolism gene, researchers enhanced the mouse's ability to use body fat for energy, creating a mouse that can run five hours without stopping. . . . According to Hanson, humans have eactly the same modifiable gene..."

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    All this "gene therapy" in near future is pure sci-fi.
    Which is exactly why they talk about it. Gets you funding and headline news. But, it's pure BS. signed Cynical Bastard.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    1. Daisy is right, of course. All this "gene therapy" in near future is pure sci-fi.

2. Harry Dunne and Llloyd Christmas are doubtless among my all time favorite movies. Perhaps even above Beavis and Butthead.

Leave a comment:

• bekeselassie
    replied
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

who? :?

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    harry & lloyd
    Too late. But, I thought Harold Lloyd was one person?

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    my god !

bex is back !

i hope him & menny don't become the harry & lloyd of this place ! :P

Leave a comment:

• bekeselassie
    replied
    Pardon me -

or Canadian.

Leave a comment: