Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacobs Admits Positive THG Test

I would expect there is a period of intense inner turmoil in an athlete's soul before making a decision to embark on a deal with the devil. For most people it means going directly against what they have been taught is right and wrong, and to make that commitment requires a steeling of the will, denial of conscience, willingness to risk health, honour and even a career, with an unwavering dedication to the path once the leap is taken. They are taught by example that this path entails certain behaviours, like deny, deny, deny, even when you are caught. They see colleagues, over and over, going through these same legal motions. In a way this reminds me of people who choose a criminal path and how hardened they become. It is sad, that so few manage to stop the charade before it descends into farce.

Comment

The reason Regina won't fess up is because to do will definitely put her out of the Olympics -- they'll certainly ban her for at least that long. If this was 2001, maybe she'd plea bargain something, if that was possible (a two-year ban). But now this is the end of her career, no going out in glory with a 40-year-old's drug-enhanced run at the gold --

Comment

Draw the curtain, the farce is over"

Demonax, Greek philosopher

Comment

Regina Jacobs' attitude of trying to get off on a lame technicality illustrates exactly the lack of character one most have in order to take a drug like THG in the first place.

She was getting old, she had not been able to accomplish all that had wanted, and she made a deal with the devil.

Of all of the cop outs, I think she would have been better served to go for what I predict will be Mr. Bobby Bonds, which is "Huh, there was what--THG in that drink? Wow, I did not know that."

This beats the heck out of trying to get by on a technicality any day of the week.

She has shown herself for exactly what she is--a desperado.

Comment

While I agree with tafnut that most people would confess and own up, I don't think that the public is so forgiving. Ben Johnson is not forgiven by most fans despite confessions, apologies, and explanations (maybe it's because of the explanations). Fool me once...........you know the rest.

Comment

"I don't think that the public is so forgiving. Ben Johnson is not forgiven by most fans despite confessions, apologies, and explanations (maybe it's because of the explanations). Fool me once...........you know the rest."

As a Canadian I recall that people were less willing to forgive Ben each time he got caught. It gets harder to understand and easier to dismiss.

Comment

If an athlete gets caught and immediately takes responsibility, they will most likely be forgiven.

But, like Pete Rose, once they take that trip up Da Nile, they lose their audience.

I wonder if Regina will blame the sport as Pete is doing now for not providing adequate rehab for cheaters?

Comment

>I wonder if Regina will blame the sport as
                  >Pete is doing now for not providing adequate rehab for cheaters?

That's rather a silly possibility to propose as Alcoholics Anonymous has popularized the concept that one must first admit they have a problem before they can properly get help. If Regina (or Rose) have been steadfast in refusing to admit any cheating (not that what Rose did was cheating in any sense), then how can they make the arguement there wasn't adequate rehab?

Comment

"If Regina (or Rose) have been steadfast in refusing to admit any cheating (not that what Rose
                    did was cheating in any sense), then how can they make the argument there wasn't adequate rehab?"

Its a classic condition in US society where people are allowed to believe that they are never responsible for their own mistakes. Someone else is always to blame. My parents used to call it the "Mr. Nobody did it" excuse.

Comment

Its a classic condition in US
                      >society where people are allowed to believe that they are never responsible for
                      >their own mistakes. Someone else is always to blame. My parents used to call
                      >it the "Mr. Nobody did it" excuse.

How can anyone possibly believe him when he says that he didn't bet on baseball until after he retired and then never against the Reds? Does anyone seriously believe that and is this fact a required one to allow him into the Hall? He did cheat on his own tax returns btw and spent some time in the big house as a result.

Comment

I'm with you in spirit, MJD, but I'll bet that he is 'forgiven' and in the Hall in the next 3 years (when his eligibilty runs out).

Comment

There are plenty of people in the Hall of Fame who led less than exemplary lives. Shouldn't the sole criterion be player's achievements on the playing field? By that standard, Rose would have been in the Hall long ago. Keeping him out implies that the Hall is limited to those who have demonstrated moral rectitude. And that is nonsense.

Comment

Couple of guys talking about the Rose situation on radio this morning. Both agreed he was a scumbag, but both agreed he shoudl be in the Hall based solely on his baseball achievements. But one of them came up with an interesting tweak: he says Rose's plaque in Cooperstown should include mention of his ban and why.

Comment

It will be interesting to see that, if Rose gets into the HOF, will there then be a push to get Joe Jackson of Black Sox scandal fame in as well.

Comment

>There are plenty of people in the Hall of Fame who led less than exemplary
                                >lives. Shouldn't the sole criterion be player's achievements on the playing
                                >field? By that standard, Rose would have been in the Hall long ago. Keeping
                                >him out implies that the Hall is limited to those who have demonstrated moral
                                >rectitude. And that is nonsense.

Nowhere in my post did I weigh in as to whether or not he should be in the Hall. I'm just wondering if the fact that he says that he didn't bet on baseball when he was playing is relevant to that decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X