Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYT mag article

Really long and in tomorrow's paper I guess. There is stuff in there that if I quoted would probably get the post pulled(not this):

"Ultimately, the debate over athletic doping extends beyond sport. ''The current doping agony,'' says John Hoberman, a University of Texas at Austin professor who has written extensively on performance drugs, ''is a kind of very confused referendum on the future of human enhancement.''"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/18/magaz ... &position=

Re: NYT mag article

Hey Martin, that's an interesting article. Thanks...

Comment

Excellent. Well-researched and well-written article. Highly recommended reading if you want to know where sports are headed. Perhaps the thread that discussed a blank slate for world records beginning at the turn of the century isn't such a bad idea after all . . . then again, maybe we'd have to go back 30 years or more. Munich may have been the end of the Age of Innocence in more ways than one. (No, I don't want to start up that discussion again.)

Comment

Right, there's NO point in starting that discussion again because it's pure wishful thinking to believe that the early '70s represented any age of innocence. It just ain't so.

Comment

The mile record should be set back to the 1886 mark. 4:12!!

Comment

And the PV record to 1912 - 4.02 !!!
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

As much as I revere W.G. George's 4:12-3/4, I understand the above suggestions to be humorous. In truth, we can't with any fairness turn the record "clock" back to an age of presumed purity. We simply need to look at ALL records with as much knowledge of their historical context as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X