Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doping is pushing sprints to the brink of irrelevance: WADA

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doping is pushing sprints to the brink of irrelevance: WADA

    Another one in the eye from WADA ...

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... mpics/2008

  • #2
    Fahey admitted that his own view had grown more jaundiced since the
    Johnson affair...
    Are there other sprinters than Johnson around that look jaundiced?

    Comment


    • #3
      His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!

      Comment


      • #4
        Canadian columnist says Fahey doesn't have Dick Pound's fire:

        http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... a837cf2f35

        Great line:
        <<.... Instead, we got his successor John Fahey, believed to be the only unquotable Aussie male on the planet....>>

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gh
          His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!
          That's the irony of the situation really. The damage the drugs scandals cause are completely dependent on how healthy the sport is in the first place.

          If it was just one guy dominating, public interest in the 100 would have been far more damaged by all the drug revelations. With the 3 fastest guys in history duking it out, people can't help but care about the result.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gh
            His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!
            On another thread, gh rote:

            Originally posted by gh
            Drugs have very little to do with it. Track's irreversible fall from public grace began in 1958 when football and baseball changed the sporting landscape. Given the option to watch a team game, Joe Sixpak will take that over a track meet any day. Once that became an option 24 hours a day, track became minimalized. That's the reality.
            http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=32241

            In fairness to gh, which phonetically can rhyme with "ff", the discussion may have been perceived as having veered toward a more myopic, USA-centric view of things, on that other thread.

            If there is such a thing as karma, Carl Lewis may come back as Ben Johnson's student in a "future" life....

            Comment


            • #7
              In general he's right, and it's not just US either. Substitute other sports and you could say the same for just about every other nation on earth.

              But there's a major difference between generally public interest in track for 206 weeks out of every 208 and what we're talking about here, the Olympic 100m ...

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ce_figures

                Here's a gem:

                http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_popular_i ... adyAsked=1

                I won't bother asking anyone how to find out how popular track and field is, since my efforts at digging up "interesting things" seem to be worse than unappreciated around here. Figures - you have someone who tries hard to make things a bit less drab and routine for people, then the mods send some little shithead to tell him to shut the fuck up.

                Pardon my French, Monsieurs Hall eh Hill.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Novitiate
                  http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ce_figures

                  Here's a gem:

                  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_popular_i ... adyAsked=1

                  I won't bother asking anyone how to find out how popular track and field is, since my efforts at digging up "interesting things" seem to be worse than unappreciated around here. Figures - you have someone who tries hard to make things a bit less drab and routine for people, then the mods send some little shithead to tell him to shut the fuck up.

                  Pardon my French, Monsieurs Hall eh Hill.
                  ?????

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Let them speak for themselves. I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy that goes on around this very little place. I smelled a rat, named cacique....

                    I won't wait to apologize for my language today. Ping me when you get in Ben - wait, that'd be too late!

                    :lol:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "He says the importance of catching drug cheats has never been greater.

                      "We must. If we do not, part of the world as we've known it for all of our lives is going to leave us," he said.

                      "The public will desert any sport in time if they're not satisfied it has integrity in the way it which it operates."

                      I read this and got a good laugh. I think The Times' Simon Barnes is the one with the correct view on this. (See home page)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Novitiate
                        Let them speak for themselves. I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy that goes on around this very little place. I smelled a rat, named cacique....

                        I won't wait to apologize for my language today. Ping me when you get in Ben - wait, that'd be too late!

                        :lol:
                        Somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gh
                          His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!
                          Among track fans you may be correct but maybe he is referring, to the Joe Blo sports fan, and, as was shown on T&FN website today, the popularity of T&F is now below swimming. Sprinting has been one of the bigger marketing items in T&F and damage to that damages the whole sport more than say walkers.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Conor Dary
                            "
                            I read this and got a good laugh. I think The Times' Simon Barnes is the one with the correct view on this. (See home page)
                            Correct view? That is a sad statement. I think that view reflects the degredation of society. Cheating is no longer viewed by many as amoral but rather just part of life we should live with and embrace.

                            The Olympics and sport in general was intended to be based on fair play.
                            Drug testing is not ruining the sport, the cheaters are and those that come to tolerate them. If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by odelltrclan
                              I think that view reflects the degredation of society. Cheating is no longer viewed by many as amoral but rather just part of life we should live with and embrace.
                              Unfortunately this is exactly right.

                              A Duke University study shows that 75 percent of students admit to cheating. 90 percent of student admit to copying someone’s paper.

                              Denise Pope, adjunct professor in the School of Education at Stanford University says, "Nationally, 75 percent of all high school students cheat. But the ones who cheat more are the ones who have the most to lose, which is the honors and AP (advanced placement) students. Eighty percent of honors and AP students cheat on a regular basis." [Regan McMahan, San Francisco Gate.com, sfgate.com, September 9, 2007] Therefore, the better the student--the more likely they are cheating.
                              Source
                              My experiences corrolate well with the above. More often the students caught cheating would have been A students.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X