X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek track athlete tests positive and is thrown out of team

Just mentioned as "breaking news" on the BBC...though remains unnamed

Deja vu :shock:

Wasn't it on the evening of the Athens opening ceremony that the KK/ET news broke?

Comment

I don't recall...but interesting nonetheless. Probably a "no-mark" but still, there are a few I could HOPE for...

Comment

The have named him now, its the sprinter Tassos Gousis.

Comment

World championship finalist then

A shock in that I hadn't really registered him on my radar that much but he improved to 20.11 last year all of a sudden so not really that much of a surprise all in all

Still, not what you need...

Comment

Anastasios Gousis.. My hopes for a clean greek sprinter looks pretty bad.
            Doesn't look too good in Greece. 11 weightlifters, a boxer, a top level swimmer..

Comment

was this also noted (russian SCer)?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/be ... 97,00.html

also on l'affaire thanou:

http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustral ... ned_553966

Comment

Is this the result of the new testing procedures? ie are athletes being caught who would have gotten through in prior years or just deluded into thinking it wouldn't happen to them?

Of course, a third possibility is that there are a lot of false positives.

Comment

Hi All

Some father info on this fellow, he is coached by Georgios Panagiotopoulos who finished 5th at the World Champs in Athens in '97.

Panagiotopoulos was coached by the infamous Christos Tzekos (Kenteris, Thanou) and Gousis is the second athlete from his training group to test positive to the steroid Methyltrienolone - Dimitrios Regas tested positive in June.

Interesting that Fani Chalkia is also coached by Panagiotopoulos!!!!

What I find pleasing about this story is that it was the Greek Doping authorities that have caught all these CHEATS ( Weightlifting, Swimming, Athletics)

Comment

Methyltrienolone, favorite of the Greeks.

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation ... sis-g.html

Comment

along with Tzatziki....another Zit-Greeky bites the dust...
                      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

This is tantamount to tossing WADA another bone. nb. the great motor bike crash. These guys are great strategists.

I am all for targeting teams with known records of doping offences. Too many offenders are out there siting on undeserved medals. We all should lobby to stem this trend. Canvasing teams with a history of offences is a good idea. If this is wrong then having a sex offender registry is wrong ( and that's a good measure).

Comment

this guy raised surprised me when running 20.11

after all, that's pretty much the leading euro 200 time since well... kk ?!

i think it was edmonton '01 when christian malcolm ran a quicker time than a non-greek

greeks have had some decent 60m guys in last 15y - papadias won indoor once, but they don't usually do to well at 200

that's 2 fastest greek 200m runners of all time having bans :twisted:

it looks like whenever a greek male runs <20.2, there will be immediate suspicion...

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            this guy raised surprised me when running 20.11

after all, that's pretty much the leading euro 200 time since well... kk ?!

i think it was edmonton '01 when christian malcolm ran a quicker time than a non-greek

greeks have had some decent 60m guys in last 15y - papadias won indoor once, but they don't usually do to well at 200

that's 2 fastest greek 200m runners of all time having bans :twisted:

it looks like whenever a greek male runs <20.2, there will be immediate suspicion...
                            Obikwelu and Ndure ran faster, but I don't know if those two count for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X