Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl on Bolt...si.com

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl on Bolt...si.com

    PRINT
    EMAIL
    RSS
    Yahoo! Buzz SHARE
    Posted: Thursday September 11, 2008 2:03PM; Updated: Thursday September 11, 2008 4:30PM
    Arash Markazi > ON THE SCENE


    Carl Lewis speaks out on Bolt, U.S. performance in Beijing, more Story Highlights
    Lewis insists that lack of random testing leaves Usain Bolt open to suspicion
    "I was embarrassed that the U.S. could not pass the baton [in Beijing]"
    Nine-time Olympic gold medalist says he can't be compared to Michael Phelps



    Last week, SI.com caught up with nine-time gold medalist Carl Lewis at the Audi Best Buddies Challenge, a charity bicycle tour and fundraising event to help people with intellectual disabilities. Lewis weighed in on everything from Usain Bolt's record-breaking performance in Beijing to Team USA fumbling the baton in the relays.

    [99% of post cut by mods; what is that some of you morons don't understand about copyright infringement?]

  • #2
    Does Carl Lewis believe that the world has stood still since the days when he used to run?

    He ignores some basic facts about Usain to assume that something must be sinister because he dropped three tenths off his 100 metre time.

    Has he bothered to look at the biomechanical adjustments that Usain has made and the fact that he ran 19.93s as a 16 year old with significanly flawed technique?

    Does this really mean that the only explanation he can offer for Bolt's dramatic improvement is PEDs?

    Clearly then, he is not very bright.

    You know, I respected his accomplishments as an athlete but he strikes me as being very bitter. He even insinuates that Asafa Powell is using PEDS. How dare he question the integrity of an athlete like Powell, who has been an advocate of severely punishing cheaters and who has been tested more than he ever was.

    What Lewis needs to realise is that these Jamaican athletes are tested more often than he would like to believe.

    His argument that half of the men who have run under 9.80 were exposed as cheaters is weak in that Tyson Gay a fellow American athlete who has legally run 9.77s has subjected himself to rigourous testing and has never been found to have cheated.

    What he argues is similar to an argument that states that some people should never be able to achieve higher physical standards because others needed PEDs to achieve those standards.

    By his own arguments the fact that he once held the world record for the men's 100m, means he was using PEDs.

    Oops, I forget. He was.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shearer39
      Does Carl Lewis believe that the world has stood still since the days when he used to run?

      He ignores some basic facts about Usain to assume that something must be sinister because he dropped three tenths off his 100 metre time.

      Has he bothered to look at the biomechanical adjustments that Usain has made and the fact that he ran 19.93s as a 16 year old with significanly flawed technique?

      Does this really mean that the only explanation he can offer for Bolt's dramatic improvement is PEDs?

      Clearly then, he is not very bright.

      You know, I respected his accomplishments as an athlete but he strikes me as being very bitter. He even insinuates that Asafa Powell is using PEDS. How dare he question the integrity of an athlete like Powell, who has been an advocate of severely punishing cheaters and who has been tested more than he ever was.

      What Lewis needs to realise is that these Jamaican athletes are tested more often than he would like to believe.

      His argument that half of the men who have run under 9.80 were exposed as cheaters is weak in that Tyson Gay a fellow American athlete who has legally run 9.77s has subjected himself to rigourous testing and has never been found to have cheated.

      What he argues is similar to an argument that states that some people should never be able to achieve higher physical standards because others needed PEDs to achieve those standards.

      By his own arguments the fact that he once held the world record for the men's 100m, means he was using PEDs.

      Oops, I forget. He was.
      I think that you are a little harsh (but only a little), as Carl was a little more careful in his comments, while at the same time being sometimes careless and selective in a manner that someone n his position should not be.

      He said that the difference in testing regimes raises questions because, in part, the US system is now catching a broader array. He had an interesting, but slightly selective comment on VCB. She did not make the team, but she missed by just a smidgen, as those girls were very tightly clustered. She also did make the team, and win a tough OG 200.

      He was also selective in the 100m times for Bolt, who had not been racing it, was young, and had great 200 times from far back (I cannot comment specifically about the 'terrible technique' comment above, although I believe it to be true). Furthermore, the 200 really is equally important and for someone to be really good at the 100 when they are really good at the 200 is not that rare (and more common then the converse).

      I suspect that Jamaica will become a little more transparent in the testing regime -- they may well be doing a very good job but the specifics are not widely known (but will be more widely known in part because there will be response to Carl and others); in fact there have been comments that have been along these lines for several months now (including pre-OGs).

      However, Carl has always been a 'little' bit like this and is not mellowing with age (except for his voice? :lol: ). He does have a lot of responsibility because people are going to ask him questions and he has to do more than cast aspersions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, this is nothing new - just Carl being Carl. There should indeed be vigilance in PED screening - he's right there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Who? Oh, the track guy that looked like Grace Jones. That guy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Carl Lewis has always been outspoken. He was also constantly scrutinized during his career. Being a former Olympian does not necessarily make him an expert on all things T&F, but he certainly lived deep in that world. He was asked his opinion and he gave it, no holds barred. But it is just one man's opinion. I don't read his comments as bitter, just that he expects scrutiny as he experienced. If he were truly bitter, he would not be involved in the sport anymore or want to talk about it.

            Alan Greenspan said that if he were told he could never discuss politics and financial policies after retiring, he would have never taken the Fed Chairman job. I suspect Carl Lewis feels the same.
            In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

            Comment


            • #7
              King Carl is very near being dead on right again:

              " I'm proud of America right now because we have the best random and most comprehensive drug testing program. "

              It will be interesting to see what 2012 has to say about 5 of 6 short dash wins coming from the carib.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

              Comment


              • #8
                That's right Carl. Everything in the US of A is good now. Balco is allll behind you. Good thing you keep referencing Ben Johnson which was only 20 years ago. Nothing more shocking or disgraceful has happened in the World of sport since then, right?

                Why is it that people keep using Ben Johnson's name when, clearly, much worse has gone on in places like Russia, Britain and the US since then? Please feel free to comment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Being outspoken about an issue is one thing. Casting aspersions and doubt over a specific athlete are another. I really object to him continuing the myth that the Jamaicans aren't tested as much as everyone else. He should do his research.

                  It just sounds like the same sour grapes that I read on this message board and others.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To be honest I'm completely in shock that he would take this line when talking about Bolt, knowing his own history with the press. Could he have been misquoted?

                    "I don't want to put words in your mouth but"......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      CARL LEWIS IS 99 % RIGHT. I applaud the man, now in his late 40s, to come out and flat out tell his opinion. i find it very hard to argue with any of the sound points he makes. He is right on about the Ben Johnson matter, one year he is just bitter and sour grapes, the next year a prophet. And yes despite what myopic people on this board think, it has had a tremendous effect on the sport, even 20 yrs later it is a big deal. Even more than Marion Jones in prison. Even more than Conte and Balco. Even more than Graham. Even more than the Russians and all the others. And he is dead on about the us relay team in the olympics, two dropped buttons, i was hysterical when i read what he said about layrun williams. I mean people will come up with any excuse, even blame an inanimate object like a button ! Say what you want about the man, his character, his personal life, whatever, he is so damn right I can't help but applaud him for having the courage to speak out.
                      As far as some of the posters on this board, the only thing i can say is that they have the same exact attitude they did before some of the other big names got busted...the ostrich with the head in the sand mentality. Then they wonder why NBC and others media outlets shun track and field...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ok, so everyone hates Carl. He's outspoken & brash. A typical sprinter!

                        He has claimed that most everyone who ran faster than him was on steroid, hgh, etc. Look at the list of those who ran faster & failed a test. Look at it already. Forget the messenger & read the message. He is right. He named them all in his interview. Sure enough, almost everyone who ran faster than him failed a test or was named as involved in some drug ring.

                        Ostriches, take your heads out of the sand already.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Carl

                          "Alan Greenspan said that if he were told he could never discuss politics and financial policies after retiring, he would have never taken the Fed Chairman job. I suspect Carl Lewis feels the same"

                          In the most recent issue of _Fortune Magazine_, there's an interesting
                          opinion piece that argues that _Alan Greenspan_ would be better off
                          keeping a lower profile, as his speaking out so much on the economy
                          tends to undermine the positions of the current Fed Chairman....

                          (though I'm not sure that has much to say about the Carl situation)....

                          bruce..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tm71
                            CARL LEWIS IS 99 % RIGHT. I applaud the man, now in his late 40s, to come out and flat out tell his opinion. i find it very hard to argue with any of the sound points he makes. He is right on about the Ben Johnson matter, one year he is just bitter and sour grapes, the next year a prophet. And yes despite what myopic people on this board think, it has had a tremendous effect on the sport, even 20 yrs later it is a big deal. Even more than Marion Jones in prison. Even more than Conte and Balco. Even more than Graham. Even more than the Russians and all the others. And he is dead on about the us relay team in the olympics, two dropped buttons, i was hysterical when i read what he said about layrun williams. I mean people will come up with any excuse, even blame an inanimate object like a button ! Say what you want about the man, his character, his personal life, whatever, he is so damn right I can't help but applaud him for having the courage to speak out.
                            As far as some of the posters on this board, the only thing i can say is that they have the same exact attitude they did before some of the other big names got busted...the ostrich with the head in the sand mentality. Then they wonder why NBC and others media outlets shun track and field...
                            So he was hitting about the rapid improvements made by Ben Johnson. What about Flo-Jo, her improvements were far more drastic. This is very hypocritical.

                            Carl seems to be very dunce also. How can you use a one off race where bolt ran 10.03 to judge his improvement to 9.69 when bolt ran 19.93 at 17 and did 19.75 last year. Obviously Bolt could have run sub 10 before this year with proper mechanics.

                            Bolt did 45.34 at 15 and 19.93 at 17. The world has never seen a more talented sprinter. You cant compare no one else to him idiots!.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MJR
                              Ok, so everyone hates Carl. He's outspoken & brash. A typical sprinter!

                              He has claimed that most everyone who ran faster than him was on steroid, hgh, etc. Look at the list of those who ran faster & failed a test. Look at it already. Forget the messenger & read the message. He is right. He named them all in his interview. Sure enough, almost everyone who ran faster than him failed a test or was named as involved in some drug ring.

                              Ostriches, take your heads out of the sand already.
                              When Carl goes off like this I think the word 'hypocritical' comes to mind . . .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X