Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Sack Masback

Masback did an absolutely horrible job responding to questions regarding drug policy and the Young case in interview during Millrose Games.
    He refused to answer the question directly, and he could have. "I refer people to our earlier letter. We have the greatest drug program . . ." What the ? Maybe T&F News folks know what the content of the letter is, but the typical NBC watcher does not. It sounded very evasive. The interviewer pressed him, gave him another opportunity to at least tell us what the letter said. "Didn't it at least look like you were hiding something?" "I refer people to the earlier letter. It's ancient history . . . let's move on."
    If this is the voice and face of U.S. T&F, it's not doing any good at all. Masback needs media training. He was great a couple years ago when all he had to do was cheerlead, but now that there's real issues, he's reverting to lawyer mode (afraid of being sued). It truly could hardly have been worse.

Re: Sad Sack Masback

Of course Masback spoke like a lawyer (and politician); that's his job. George W looks like a doofus sometimes because he talks like a regular person. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Comment

A typical listener would have been utterly baffled by what Masback meant. What did the letter say? "It's ancient history, it's behind us" is the time-honored way the guilty try to sweep the past away. I'm NOT saying Masback or Young or USATF are guilty of anything; it only sounded that way. "We've got the best drug program" but by the way, we won't explain our actions or even respond to your implying that we had something to hide.

Comment

The whole problem was that they spent 5 minutes or more of the braodcast dealing with an issue that no other sport would touch in the middle of an event. It should never have been part of the program. In that time they could have shown another event, like the HS relay that was decided by .03 with a major surge to the finish. If they can show 8-9 yr old runners, they have the time o show a HS race. Another example of poor network decision making, where they would rather develop a whole piece on a peripheral issue instead of showing more action. The bullriding that followed was far more entertaining from the TV viewer's perspective because they minimize the BS and show what's going on.

Comment

I agree that it would have been far better if the drug questions hadn't been posed, but still, I was amazed at what a weasely job Masback did. Not very impressive, and not very inspiring.

Comment

Then again, what else was he realistically supposed to say??

Comment

Unfortunately, drugs are no longer a peripheral issue in track and field. NBC, network of the Olympics, knows it needs to deal with these issues, or it may lose viewers; to ignore drugs makes NBC look like it's looking the other way on what's become a national issue (reference State of the Union). In fact NBC may be the best pressure on USATF to reform.
              I'm not a media expert, but it seems Masback could have/should have said, in about 15 seconds, "In the case you're referring to, we were legally bound by confidentiality rules, because we want to be fair to athletes as well as the public. But those rules have now been changed, so the process will be a lot more open from now on. We've got a great drug program, etc." To be evasive seemed the worst strategy.

Comment

>The whole problem was that they spent 5 minutes or more of the braodcast
                >dealing with an issue that no other sport would touch in the middle of an
                >event. It should never have been part of the program. >

I agree with this sentiment but the major sports have other outlets for this type of information. Let's say that in football a star player tests positive for steroids and is suspended for a few games. That would be covered mostly in a pregame show. That type of outlet is not available to track and field.

Comment

Is this thread mis-named or does "Sad Sack" mean something in American?

Surely, "Sack Sad Masback", would be more appropriate.

Comment

Definition: An inept person; a person regarded as extremely inept or clumsy.
                    Alliteration was key here --

Comment

>Is this thread mis-named or does "Sad Sack" mean something in
                      >American?

>Surely, "Sack Sad Masback", would be more appropriate.

It means an extremely inept or clumsy person. Also someone who makes mistakes because of incompetence.

Synonyms include bungler, blunderer, fumbler, bumbler, botcher, butcher and, believe it or not, ****up.

And yes, it is an yank thing(literally):

http://sadsack.net/OriginalComicStrip.htm

www.sadsack.net

I'll leave it for others to decide if the thread name is appropriate.

Comment

Thanks fella's! I didn't know that but am glad to have a new name for my boss!

Comment

Sorry, illiteration was minor consideration, a plan ol' doggerel rhyme was what came to mind:
                          Sad Sack
                          Masback
                          I think Masback was one of the best TV commentators they ever had; wish he'd go back.
                          Go back
                          Masback

Comment

I beg to differ. He was just as condescending as Larry Rawson. I remember when in Atlanta Ghana did not appear to the start of 4X100 final, he gave us a socio-economic treatise on the sub-Saharan Africa, but never told us why the Ghana team is not there.
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I, for one, think the name of this thread is quite inspired. Shakespeare couldn't have alliterated better!

Comment

Working...
                              X