Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track and field news' role in the THG scandal

It looks like there is a lot of stuff going on with the THG thing. Conte and others indicted but I found this part of particular interest over at that “other” running site (http://www.letsrun.com/2004/balcoi.php):

“On June 4, 2003, USADA's media representative Rich Wanninger, received a phone call from a known track and field news reporter, indicating that he had an individual who had information regarding the distribution and production of an undectable athletic performance-enhancing substance to several prominent athletes in track and field. Wanninger told the media representative that he was interested in speaking with the informant.”

Can you guys corroborate that someone at track and field news played a role in blowing the THG scandal wide open? Are we ever going to find out who the mystery elite coach is?

Re: track and field news' role in the THG scandal

Nobody at T&FN had anything to do with it. I think the sentence is probably meant to be read in the sense of

"track and field news-reporter"

Comment

Does anybody else find it interesting that in the original statement from Wanninger that everybody was led to believe that the initial contact came from the coach, not from some shadowy journalist? This is from the original "USADA Bombshell" thread on this site, a USADA press release:

<<<Early in the summer, USADA received a call from a person represented to be a high-profile track and field coach, who provided the names of U.S. and international athletes who he said were using an “undetectable” steroid. The coach subsequently sent USADA a used syringe containing some of this substance.>>>

Comment

That's what I thought when I first read it, kind of a funny choice of words though. Still interesting that it was a reporter that brought the whole thing to a head (or possibly the mystery coach approached the reporter about the situation to maintain their anonymity).

Comment

“On June 4,
          >2003, USADA's media representative Rich Wanninger, received a phone call from a
          >known track and field news reporter, indicating that he had an individual who
          >had information regarding the distribution and production of an undectable
          >athletic performance-enhancing substance to several prominent athletes in track
          >and field. Wanninger told the media representative that he was interested in
          >speaking with the informant.”

Can you guys corroborate that someone at track
          >and field news played a role in blowing the THG scandal wide open? Are we ever
          >going to find out who the mystery elite coach is?>

No offense to the T&FN staff but a known track and field news reporter strikes me to be referring to a mainstream reporter of track and field and there aren't too many of those nationally known. One of those is a USA Today writer.

Comment

I know there's a non-denial denial in here somewhere

Kurt

Comment

A T&F news-reporter should do a follow up interview with Dr. Brain Goldman. He seems to have dropped out of sight.

Comment

And if they don't, I guess it's a no-Brainer :-)

Comment

>And if they don't, I guess it's a no-Brainer :-)

...edit function...

Comment

Hip hip hooray for the reporter. Can you believe it? An actual investigative reporter in our sport, who cares enough to get something done!

Awesome.
                    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

"Can you guys corroborate that someone at track and field news played a role in blowing the THG scandal wide open?"

Naive and naiver.

Comment

Working...
                      X