• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting editorial

Sad but true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ock/040220

Re: Interesting editorial

"I'm not condoning steroid use. I never used them as an athlete. But steroid abuse in professional sports is not a crisis worthy of the attention of our attorney general."

The guy who wrote this editorial is part of the problem, too. I guess he believes that we should legalize heroin, meth, and cocaine, so that all of those would be addicts will at least not be filling up the prisons.

This kind of mentality is a part of the reason why I stopped being a serious baseball fan years ago.

Comment

For better or worse this parallels what I've been saying (but he says it even more brutally and directly).

Comment

My reply to this idiot:

Jason

You say at the end of your article that you don't condone drug use in athletics, but spend quite a bit of time justifying why this very use is acceptable and should tolerated and ignored. This very attitude, especially by someone in your position, it the reason why it is not taken more seriously. Your cavalier attitude towards this problem in US Pro Ball Sports, while lambasting any Track & Field athlete as a cheater for the same thing is absurd. I'm not familiar enough with your writing to know if you have made statements against T&F athletes, but ESPN (and other media writers) has for years. This double standard is ridiculous.

Drugs are a problem in sport and US society. There is no place for it in either area and your article is a message for the kids and non-kids that performance enhancing drugs are ok to use. You should be ashamed of yourself for writing such crap. I hope you never have to deal with the day where someone you know has their life ruined because it was ok in your mind to use these illegal drugs in cheating their way to the top. Your condoning of cheating and drug use is disgusting and unprofessional.

I am a coach, official & administrator in track & field. Every time you (or anyone else) writes drivel like this it makes my job in trying to raise good clean living American children that much more difficult. Every time you see a young athlete competing somewhere, remember that you said it was ok for them to use drugs and ruin their life just so you could enjoy watching them.

Michael

Comment

MJR: After reading your impassioned letter, I was forced to go back and re-read the above piece. After doing so, I have to say that I think you've misinterpreted Whitlock's article. He's hardly "condoning" drug use--in fact, he's lambasting American society and ALL sports for their (collective) acceptance of the drug problem. He does draw comparisons--that the drug problem in sports is small potatoes compared to other civic and legal issues--but these are hard to disagree with. His message is sarcastic, but pretty darn clear: money and the desire to win override all morality and ethics in sports. And nowhere does he put particular blame on track--he doesn't even mention it. Whitlock's critique is quite radical--he's not "defending" druggies in any real way.

(By the way, Whitlock is the sports writer for the Kansas City Star. He has no special knowledge of track and field.)

Comment

I've watched the Sports Reporters and in reading this article he continues the cavalier "who cares" attitude. Even if sarcastic, most people are not astute enough to realize it and will read it as it is written.

Until the media starts to hold people accountable for their actions, how can we as parents, coaches & officials do the same? Maybe it needs to be reversed though.

Even with BALCO, the Ball Sports still get a free pass. In NY, BALCO is gone and all they talk about is A-Rod and Sheffield. On Sheffield, they are already writing the whole thing under the table as "a minor distraction that Torre and he might talk about sometime" and it won't affect the team which is the real issue. That's complete BS. If this guy was using their junk, he should be hanging out w/ Pete Rose. The drugs are cheating just like gambling. Baseball (in its ineptness) finally bans Steve Howe (after 7 failures) for coke, a drug that only made him closer to death and allows roid freaks to show them the money and destroy the integrity of the records that made it so appealing a game to begin with. Just hit another homerun and we'll ignore it all because its fun to watch....

Comment

Working...
            X