Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Splain it to me Lucy

Run the scumbag drug users out of the sport I say. But I gotta question. My paper this morning had a wire service story talking about Sen. McCain's committee getting grand jury files and goes on to say

"McCain has promise to keep the material secret but said it is intended to make sure the Unite dStates sends a drug-free team to teh Summer Olympics. U.S.Olympic officials are hoping to weed out drug cheaters...."

So does this mean that on the eve of Sacramento we will get an announcement from Sen. McCain's office to the effect of "Marion Jones has announced her withdrawal from the Olympic Trials because of a pulled hamstring"?

Re: 'Splain it to me Lucy

>So does this mean that on the eve of Sacramento we will get an announcement from Sen. McCain's office to the effect of "Marion Jones has announced her withdrawal from the Olympic Trials because of a pulled hamstring"?<<

Either that or maybe she'll be drafted into the Army.

Comment

"So does this mean that on the eve of Sacramento we will get an announcement from Sen. McCain's office to the effect of "Marion Jones has announced her withdrawal from the Olympic Trials because of a pulled hamstring"?"

It should be fairly obvious that Marion is currently trying to compete clean.

Comment

What any of the athletes (I just used Jones as the most convenient high-profile example; not suggesting she's actually guilty) are doing now is irrelevant: seems clear that they're going to look at Grand Jury testimony where--rumour has it--athletes admitted to past steroid use because they were given immunity.

I further read it that McCain--in cahoots with the USOC--intends to use this "secret" testimony to clean up the Olympic team. I'm unclear on how you can clean it up and maintain secrecy. Seems a bit of a catch-22 there.

Comment

It
          >should be fairly obvious that Marion is currently trying to compete clean.

Based on the fact that her form has been crap?
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Based on the fact that her form has been crap?"

Pretty much. So far there isn't a whole lot to go on but even though she was better indoors her speed so far is a rather pale reflection of her former self (attn: Satch, is she becoming a Pale Sprinter?)

Comment

More excuses

Here is an Associated Press story that indicates T&M are not running this week in IAAF meet

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1791520

Comment

Re: More excuses

"The two Americans said they will skip the May 8 meet because they were "not in top condition" and wanted to compete in a meet "where there is no time difference," the Nikkan Sports daily reported on its Web site."

...and no more modafinil to fight jet lag.

Comment

well....as much I know they are booked for the Track Meetingin Jamaica (I forgot the meetings name)...this meeting is on May 7th....I would have been very surprised to see any of the athletes competing in Jamaica to also compete in Osaka....

Comment

"no more modafinil to fight jet lag"

Geez MJD ur nasty streak is coming out :-)

Comment

'Splain it to me Lucy

It would appear that some in the press are starting to question the thrust of some of this stuff. Google on a combination of
                      witch hunt and McCain and see what comes up.

Comment

>It would appear that some in the press are starting to question the thrust of
                        >some of this stuff. Google on a combination of
                        witch hunt and McCain and see
                        >what comes up.

And your point is? I guess no one has a thing to worry about if:
                        1. They didn't take steroids.
                        2. They didn't lie under oath.

Who cares if it is politically motivated and, oh yeah, didn't someone say that nothing was going to come out of Bush mentioning it in the State of the Union and others were just saying that McCain was just grandstanding and nothing would come out of his hearings. WHICH ONE IS IT?

"``This whole investigation has been a red herring, deflecting the country from the real issues,'' Anna Ling, a lawyer working the case with Serra, told the Mercury News on Wednesday."

Hilarious:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 541858.htm

And Mel, I actually do find a lot of this quite funny or maybe ironic would be a better word.

Comment

The important thrust here, perhaps, is whether or not catching scumbag drug cheats in track is important enough to set aside a lot of civil liberties for the populace as a whole. And would this kind of abuse of the legal system (if it is such) have happened pre-9/11?

Comment

"scumbag drug cheats in track"

It's not as black and white as that. I used to think so until recently having the chance to sit down and chat with a former world record holder and see things from the inside. Athletics like life is a bit more complicated than the average fan looking in can understand.

Comment

...nice mullet on Serra by the way. From the link above:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/images/ ... 443769.jpg

I think I'll nominate that pic for mullet of the month:

http://www.mullet.com/mullet-galore.asp?p_id=33

Comment

Working...
                              X