X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure if you guys have already read this or not but

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... &type=news

Re: I'm not sure if you guys have already read this or not b

I read the entire affidavit, and it's pretty sad. Victor Conte and those he corresponded with eerily resemble your classic Ricco Law violators.

Conspiring to conceal monetary assets; conspiring to launder cash assets; illegal interstate and international commerce in banned substances; those are just three indicators of criminal conspiracy on a breathtakingly wide scale. And I'm sure there are others.

The THG scandal is going to widen. Who knows how many people will ultimately be engulfed in this? It won't stop with just THG either; it's obvious that many others abusing drugs to enhance athletic performances are going to be caught in the net.

It wouldn't shock me if scores of track and field athletes and scores of professional team sports personalities are ultimately either named as conspirators or unindicted co-conspirators in this case, and other cases that are sure to spin off from this.

It's pretty mind-boggling stuff, because just the small amount we know so far indicates that drug cheating is very likely rampant on a national and international scale.

For the sake of sports, and even for the sake of those who are unfairly competing against athletes who remain clean, this thing needs to be vigorously prosecuted right on through to what appears will be a depressing end. How many world records and pro team sports individual records have been tainted by drug use? It's completely out of control.

Comment

Conspiring to conceal monetary assets; conspiring to launder cash
      >assets; illegal interstate and international commerce in banned substances;
      >those are just three indicators of criminal conspiracy on a breathtakingly wide
      >scale.

Without getting into everything else you are saying(and Law Dude can correct me if I'm wrong) but one illegal financial transaction involving contraband between two people could bring those charges and you wouldn't call it a breathtakingly wide conspiracy.

Comment

As I've said before, I'm not a criminal lawyer. I am, however, aware that RICO has been used to bring to justice inidividuals where engage in activities not traditionally thought of as racketeering. The PATRIOT Act and other currency transaction laws and regulations can also be invoked against people engaged in criminal activity the primary purpose of which does not appear to be money laundering.

In other words, if the Department of Justice wants to throw the book at these guys, they have a number of books to choose from and they don't really have to choose--they can throw them all.

Comment

>As I've said before, I'm not a criminal lawyer. I am, however, aware that RICO
          >has been used to bring to justice inidividuals where engage in activities not
          >traditionally thought of as racketeering. The PATRIOT Act and other currency
          >transaction laws and regulations can also be invoked against people engaged in
          >criminal activity the primary purpose of which does not appear to be money
          >laundering.

In other words, if the Department of Justice wants to throw
          >the book at these guys, they have a number of books to choose from and they
          >don't really have to choose--they can throw them all.

I think I may have indicated this elsewhere, but bringing in the full force of the AG and the IRS may be the ticket for really discouraging performance drug use. A two-year ban is nothing compared to 5 years in the pokey....

Comment

Working...
          X